Big Bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STEVEGODSEYJR

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Just remembered another flea market saw today. This other fella had a Jonny Red 2094 with a GB EXTRA LONG bar 72". The saw looked like it was well used and it did not have a chain on it. He said he only wanted $1000 for it. I said "Holy ****, thats a little steep isn't it?" The saw didn't even have a on/off switch on it. It had a piece of wire hangin' out of it to shut it off. He was telling people that this saw would have NO problem pulling this bar in whatever you wanted to cut. He wasn't a very good b.s.'er unless you didn't know a thing about chainsaws.:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

Thats a big bar - also a hella lot a money! If it looked well used imagine how worn the internals would be pulling a 72 inch bar - provided thats what it was used with.
Ive got the 090 for bars that big - but have no idea what i'd ever need a bar that size for:dizzy:

I really like the 2094 but it would have to be coddled and coaxed a lot to be even close to useful with a 72" bar. It would cut but it would not be fun.

$1000.00, that is just funny. Offer him $200.00 and see how he enjoys worthless ideas.

Just so you know not that long ago those GB long bars were being sold for around $100.00 by lots of different people. There are still a few around waiting to be sold. The quality of the bar was a crap shoot, so great some not.

Last edited:
Yeah, that would not be a "happy camper" combo. My 066 isn't overly happy when I use the 42" bar on occasion.

Would have been interesting to see the clutch.

Mark

And how long would it take to sharpen that chain in the morning before going out? My 064 is a tad heavy. Thats just nucking futs.

And how long would it take to sharpen that chain in the morning before going out? My 064 is a tad heavy. Thats just nucking futs.

Never mind just in the morning, I'm milling with a 60" bar with full comp 3/8 chain (that 96 cutters). To maintain a decent cutting speed I touch up the chain (2-3 strokes) after every 25 sq ft of milling (that's about one large slab) on hard Aussie hardwood, and 50-75 sq ft on the softer Aussie hardwoods. With this much practice you get fast at touching up - it takes me about 8 minutes to do the 96 cutters - but it adds up to a lot of time during the day.

My dad used to run an 8 ft bar two man saw in the late 50's - he used to spend about 2 - 2.5 hours of his time sharpening. Then when better chains became available in the early 60s he was down to about half an hour a day.

Latest posts

Back