Big Black Walnut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Mark,
Looks great. I'm curious, as I'm looking at something similar, do you know when the tree came down?

Thanks
Andy

Nice looking walnut, i hope you get it stickered higher up off the ground and covered to keep the sun and rain off it...

What are you going to build with it???

Rob

Came down

Hi Mark,
Looks great. I'm curious, as I'm looking at something similar, do you know when the tree came down?

Thanks
Andy

This tree came down a few months ago...

Storm took the top out last fall and my customer had me take the rest down about 3 months ago.

Mark...

Great stuff, wild grain patterns.

In the last picture, the board on the right, has an amber-eyed, long nosed monkey in it, with a broad hairy back.

Nice stuff - sure would like to get my hands on some of that stuff.

The big commercial guys steam walnut to turn the white sapwood brown - anyone know how to do that on a small scale (like this log)?

Nikko

What thickness is your lumber? I keep all my walnut 2" and larger or I have a lot of problems with 1" being unstable during drying.

I see that evil monkey! :givebeer:

Nice wood! I guess you will also get some weight or straps on it...

What thickness is your lumber? I keep all my walnut 2" and larger or I have a lot of problems with 1" being unstable during drying.

Unless it's quartersawn FAS oak or ash, I usually have trouble drying ANY species 1 inch and under... walnut, cherry... most wood that thickness or less will tend to bow, crook and twist at least a little, even with weight on it. Nature of the beast.

I go 1 1/8 or 5/4 with most, depending on "difficulty" of the wood. Walnut has been one of the most successful woods for me. I've had very little trouble with movement compared to about anything else. The ones that did move came from a tree with some tension.

Mark

I have found that with local Black Walnut the log must first sit a year then when the lumber is milled wash it off and stack it upstairs in a barn where it is warm and has good air flow, minimal weight, no sun light, then 1" will dry flat, with no cracking.

I have found that with local Black Walnut the log must first sit a year then when the lumber is milled wash it off and stack it upstairs in a barn where it is warm and has good air flow, minimal weight, no sun light, then 1" will dry flat, with no cracking.

I agree.It's almost always better to let the trunk season for a year first for minium movement when cut.I have let them season even longer with great results.:) Mark

Latest posts

Back