big bore 311

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bang

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm going to replace the engine in a 311 can I go bigger and use the parts from the311? if so what is the largest I can replace it with?

I did a 250 a while back, pia but I did it in 1 evening (might have gone a little into the next day lol).
Well then join the club. After you mount a 391 top end on that 291 beast, we will have both rebuilt the top ends on a pair of clam shells. All you have to do is count all the parts on the workbench. That's what guys keep telling me. I think those are the same guys that lost count of the parts as they took them down.

Don't forget to lay off the beers until after you are finished. Beers and clam shells don't mix. ;)

I may not be doing the big bore job after all. I found the 311 on cl, guy said he was cutting with it set it down and it was idling and just quit and wouldn't restart. He took it to a Stihl dealer and was told him something was wrong inside and at $75 an hour it wasn't worth fixing. I picked it up today (for cheap)and haven't had a chance to look at anything other than the outside but I pulled the rope and it has good compression with the decomp pushed in and it has more compression with the decomp pulled out. Maybe I'll get lucky.

Well then join the club. After you mount a 391 top end on that 291 beast, we will have both rebuilt the top ends on a pair of clam shells. All you have to do is count all the parts on the workbench. That's what guys keep telling me. I think those are the same guys that lost count of the parts as they took them down.

Don't forget to lay off the beers until after you are finished. Beers and clam shells don't mix. ;)

I said I wouldn't work on any more clamshels but I wanted to try one. Then I found a killer deal on the 311and here we go.

Didn't get lucky, compression felt good because case was full of fuel.
Well, remember that when you rebuild a clam shell, the seals are then in reach and so are the bearings. You may need all three -- seals, bearings, cylinder kit. The dealer is right about $75 an hour being cost prohibitive. Even he probably can't rebuild one in less than 5 hours. So, add the parts in and now you are in New Saw City.

I don't see any damage to the cylinder on the intake side but I see some dings on the top edge of piston on the ex side. The cylinder is probably bad but if not I'll replace the piston, bearings and seals. If the cylinder is bad I'll get a 391 engine from Huztl.

I've done a ton of those 290 to 390s this last year but still haven't had a 391 in the shop. Not sure I could do one with the lights out but getting pretty close..
I bet it took longer than... Hmm... At $75 an hour, I doubt very many saws could be rebuilt cheaper than a new one. Stihl has that all figured out also. Rebuilding them fast does not work. Make one mistake and you have lost it all.

I think we got a 291 in a few weeks ago that needed rebuilt and I couldn't do it because there's no aftermarket kits for the 291, at least in a good price range. The guy that owned it just took it with him and said he's gonna use it for parts for his other 291s. Certain Stihl saws don't have aftermarket stuff because they didn't make them very long, another example is the MS280.

Back