Big Bore Kit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihl86

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Anybody use or hear if the cylinder kits for MS460 from Baileys are ok. Stihl's list price is over $300.00. Very tempting for $100.00 + shipping. Got to be from China (which ain't always bad. Right? )

Thanks

If OEM lasts 3000 hours (not an unreasonable expection), that's 10 cents per hour...

If chicom aftermarket lasts 500 hours..err.... never mind.... :deadhorse: :greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
If OEM lasts 3000 hours (not an unreasonable expection), that's 10 cents per hour...

If chicom aftermarket lasts 500 hours..err.... never mind.... :deadhorse: :greenchainsaw:

If I lightbulb costs $100 but lasts a million years, that's only 1/100th of 1 penny per year. . . How many of them light bulbs can I put you down for? :)

I'll take none!

Your warranty, like many, is worthless... and represents only 0.0000246305419% of the expected lifetime.

In case math isn't your strongest point...

90 days is 2160 hours...
1 million years is 24x365.25x1000000 = 8,769,600,000 hours (roughly...) .

Your warranty, like many, is worthless... and represents only 0.0000246305419% of the expected lifetime.

In case math isn't your strongest point...

90 days is 2160 hours...
1 million years is 24x365.25x1000000 = 8,769,600,000 hours (roughly...) .

Worthless? What good is a warranty anyway? If the thing's going to fail from a manufacturing defect, you'll know it pretty quick. And if you kiss my butt, I might even work with you after the warranty is up. :)

Anybody use or hear if the cylinder kits for MS460 from Baileys are ok. Stihl's list price is over $300.00. Very tempting for $100.00 + shipping. Got to be from China (which ain't always bad. Right? )

Thanks

I thought about the same big bore kit. After dredging around AS archives for info I went ahead and ordered the 460 P/C kit from my stihl dealer.

While that may be a true comparison, for many ArboristSiteists and others a 50 hour piston and cylinder kit would suffice. At that low number the "chi-com" kits have a huge value compared to OEM. Myself, I like OEM when my wallet is fat and heavy and "chi-com" on days like today(wallet is wispy, wafer thin). If I was repairing saws for others then it would have to be their call. I have had no issues with any products from Bailey's and will order more.

I just installed the big bore cylinder kit from Bailey's for a 460 which overheated and it started right up! Running fine.

I think the key to my easy and trouble free installation was giving my saw and all the parts (especially the screws) a good "bath" in brake parts cleaner. And using an old toothbrush to scrub off all the caked on grime.

Best to clean all around the old cylinder before removing it so no grime gets into the crankcase.

And I was delighted with servicing my Stihl! The service wrench which comes with the saw fits the sparkplug and the decompression valve. Then there are 4 stardriver screws which hold on the head and you unscrew them FROM THE TOP! (Don't have to take the whole friggin' engine apart.)

I also got the gasket kit and the piston ring compression clamps. Made installing the piston easy. The clips which go on the side of the piston were a pain to remove and install.

While I had my saw apart, I cleaned everything real good. I also removed the sprocket and clutch hub and cleaned in there real good (it was a mess!). Then cleaned the sprocket bearing and applied white grease.

This turned out to be real good because I use a 36 inch bar on this saw and the big bore kit adds 8 cc to the engine. So I now basically have the power of a 650 which is rated for a 36 inch bar.

The only thing I don't know is if I need to adjust the carburetor or not??? Seems to be running fine though.

Last edited:
I'll say it...... I aint skeert

I have used and still use some of the Baileys chi-com parts and I would rate them right up there with OEM Stihl/Husky/Dolmar.

Maybe the plating is not quite as good but truth be told it's likely the bottom end on a rebuilt saw will go before the Baileys top end wears out.

I'm a big fan of factory equipment and I think the mahale plating is better than the chi-com plating, but I don't know that it is three times the cost better.

After some of the recent offerings I've gotten from mahale I'd say the casting and finish is probably better on the chi-com parts.

BTW I have run those Baileys parts well above factory rpm specs with absolutely no problems. Like it or not, they are quality parts at an affordable price. I have no problems ordering them. :cheers:

I'll say it...... I aint skeert

I have used and still use some of the Baileys chi-com parts and I would rate them right up there with OEM Stihl/Husky/Dolmar.

Maybe the plating is not quite as good but truth be told it's likely the bottom end on a rebuilt saw will go before the Baileys top end wears out.

I'm a big fan of factory equipment and I think the mahale plating is better than the chi-com plating, but I don't know that it is three times the cost better.

After some of the recent offerings I've gotten from mahale I'd say the casting and finish is probably better on the chi-com parts.

BTW I have run those Baileys parts well above factory rpm specs with absolutely no problems. Like it or not, they are quality parts at an affordable price. I have no problems ordering them. :cheers:

+1. I'm with you Erick. My ported 066 BB is turning 14,300 and runs like a dream.

Allllllllrighty then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK Here it is,,,,,,,,

I've Gotta ms460 and an ms440 that've been wearing bailey's BB kits for 2 + years,,,,,the 460 is bone stock & has a modded muffler (was on previous topend),,, the 440 was ported by BDN,,, pulled the muffler on the 440 a few weeks ago while cleaning it up after aj ob and it looks fine they both have quite a few hr's on them,, the chrome on the 460 looks to be a little better quality,,, but The ported saw turns a few more RPM,,,,

Uhh,,, lets see two saws back together making money for two years,,,,, for less in parts than the cost of one OEM P/C kit,,,,,

Hmmmmmm?????????

OK Here it is,,,,,,,,

I've Gotta ms460 and an ms440 that've been wearing bailey's BB kits for 2 + years,,,,,the 460 is bone stock & has a modded muffler (was on previous topend),,, the 440 was ported by BDN,,, pulled the muffler on the 440 a few weeks ago while cleaning it up after aj ob and it looks fine they both have quite a few hr's on them,, the chrome on the 460 looks to be a little better quality,,, but The ported saw turns a few more RPM,,,,

Uhh,,, lets see two saws back together making money for two years,,,,, for less in parts than the cost of one OEM P/C kit,,,,,

Hmmmmmm?????????

I'll bite,

How long to need a PC the first time for each and why????

Took the 460 in on trade,,, it had a siezed piston looked like a fuel/oil related failure,,, It passed Pressure and vac test with flying colors,,, and the carb was fine,,,,,

The 440 was stihl running fine,,,, Iv'e had it since it was new,,, probably had 2K+ commercial lot clearing hours on it easy,,,, I just did it cause I could,,,,, and it was needing a piston kit or rings before long anyway,,,, So I Ported the old cylinder and bought a new piston kit (OEM) off of Flea bay for 50.00 bucks...its setting in the shelves just waiting for the Bailys BB kit to give it up!!! :givebeer: :cheers:

Last edited:
Took the 460 in on trade,,, it had a siezed piston looked like a fuel/oil related failure,,, It passed Pressure and vac test with flying colors,,, and the carb was fine,,,,,

The 440 was stihl running fine,,,, Iv'e had it since it was new,,, probably had 2K+ commercial lot clearing hours on it easy,,,, I just did it cause I could,,,,, and it was needing a piston kit or rings before long anyway,,,, So I Ported the cylinder and bought a new piston kit (OEM) off of Flea bay for 50.00 bucks...its setting in the shelves just waiting for the Bailys BB kit to give it up!!! :givebeer: :cheers:

What do you run your 440 at (rpm)?

Kevin

Latest posts

Back