BIG BORE POPPING AT HI REVS UNDER NO LOAD

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phill Cresswell

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi there, hoping a clever few might be able to answer a technical question, I have recently put a big bore pot a nd top end on a MS 441, THE SAW STARTS GREAT TICKS OVER FINE AND GENTLY CUTS AT A STEADY TONE THROUGH BIG TRUNKS, MY QUESTION RELATES TO WHEN THE SAW IS REVED TO HI REVS WHILE NOT ACTUALY IN A LOG , IE UNDER NO LOAD, THE ENGINE SEEMS TO POP AT HI REVS LIKE A RACING ENGINE , CAN SOMEONE CONFIRM THAT A BB KIT CAN CAUSE THIS COMPARED TO A STANDARD CYLINDER.

Having checked the coil resistance today , all wiires disconnected, the two windings are giving a reading of 1.84 killo ohms, my other saws tend to be around 12, can someone confirm that this will cause week spark and saw to be lacking power.

I had purchased a couple of nice used 3120s and had never started them up, so I took one up to Shawn that he was interested in.
We didnt have large mount husky bar that was really big enough, but he just wanted to try it out ot make sure everything was in good working order.
We pulled the muffler and the piston and cylinder looked pristine and it popped on choke easily.
Shawn fired it up for the first time ever as I was standing a good ways off and had just started the video.
As he piss revved it I got showered with drops of bar oil.
I was pretty surprised :)

When I tested the other one back at my shop a few days later I only had a large mount 16" bar for it and even with an aggressive square chain it was on the limiter even buried in the test log completely.
Those saws are no joke :)

Latest posts

Back