BIG ELM!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HAHAHAHA! you got everyone who clicked the thread, good one!

Here is just about as big as they get around here, then they croak. I'll be taking this standing dead soon, it is winged elm, about exactly 12 inch DBH

Attachments

• IMG_20140811_183036.jpg
    IMG_20140811_183036.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 41
I have the biggest elm tree chunks I have ever seen staring me in the face. Must be a red elm. The bark is almost as scraggly and deer scratchy as as hackberry. Tree was 75 years old. My 046 or the Makita or the MS660 with a 32" bar will have to work like a bandit. The grounds crew used an MS880 and a 42" bar to drop it, helped along by the big John Deere front loader to push it along. Each round with have to be quartered and perhaps the bottom cut into six rounds for me to carry it away. I'll try to post pics as I go along if I have any energy.

I kind of wish Zogger could help dig in.

HAHAHAHA! you got everyone who clicked the thread, good one!

Here is just about as big as they get around here, then they croak. I'll be taking this standing dead soon, it is winged elm, about exactly 12 inch DBH
No Elm of any size in my neck of the woods, but just across the road in Mass. theres 1 or 2 pretty large ones on the main drag.

I have the biggest elm tree chunks I have ever seen staring me in the face. Must be a red elm. The bark is almost as scraggly and deer scratchy as as hackberry. Tree was 75 years old. My 046 or the Makita or the MS660 with a 32" bar will have to work like a bandit. The grounds crew used an MS880 and a 42" bar to drop it, helped along by the big John Deere front loader to push it along. Each round with have to be quartered and perhaps the bottom cut into six rounds for me to carry it away. I'll try to post pics as I go along if I have any energy.

I kind of wish Zogger could help dig in.

If I was there, I'd be a noodlin fo!

maybe uncle warren will fly me there in his private jet..

..err, wait, that's uncle zekediah, he only has his gubmint check and an old schwinn...

If I was there, I'd be a noodlin fo!

maybe uncle warren will fly me there in his private jet.. ..err, wait, that's uncle zekediah, he only has his gubmint check and an old schwinn...
I noodle cut some huge mulberry today and am saving the elm for next week. That mulberry is big yellow stuff inside that turns deep orange rather rapidly. I had to quarter it. The big chunks now drying in the sun. Nobody wanted to help me lift them. I cross cut the big log with a 32" bar and noodle cut the 18" lengths with a 20" bar. It seems like a good combination.

Best part about mulberry chunks is that you can split them green. Elm rounds have to dry several months.

On the big elm trees 24" and up I like to noodle the rounds into 6-7" wide slabs. The slabs split easy grean & you have minimum strings to mess with while handling the splits.

Took out a 47" elm last summer & my daughter said, "This is splitting to easy to be elm."

Latest posts

Back