big (for me) maple dismantling...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stayalert

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
View attachment 299879limbed this big maple today only the trunk is left (~5' DBH) the trunk has lots of rot/hollows and a split down the middle (sort of 2 main stems joined) I'd like to try to fell the trunk w/o having it smash into several pieces and am considering using a heavy ratchet strap to bind it before felling.....At 48 I gotta say climbing with an MS660 is a workout to say the least.....

what can I do to fell this trunk intact? I'm thinking a few ropes with blocks to try to ease it down....

WOW! That thing is UUUUUUGGGGGLLLLYYYYY! YUK! I bet your idea of the wratchet strap would help some...maybe. That dude is cracked all the way down to the stump...Won't it bind up yer bar? Hey, if you don't get the answer here that you are looking for, put it on the logging forum. There are a bunch of hazard fallers on there that would be able to shed some excellent advise. Be safe!

Last edited:
I would drop it as two trees

put a rope or cable on the top of one side, notch that side then bore into the notch to release the center of that half. Then bore into the crack area and cut toward the notch leave three inch hinge then bore in the other side to three inch hinge. Pull it over then do the same to the other.

put a rope or cable on the top of one side, notch that side then bore into the notch to release the center of that half. Then bore into the crack area and cut toward the notch leave three inch hinge then bore in the other side to three inch hinge. Pull it over then do the same to the other.

+1 :msp_thumbup:

I agree to drop each one separately. A lightweight come-a -long will work just fine but they should go over by themselves after you cut all but a tiny bit of hinge out.

why do you care if it breaks? yes, strapping it together will get it down as one. but it will probly still split when it hits.

why do you care if it breaks? yes, strapping it together will get it down as one. but it will probly still split when it hits.

I was hoping to cut some slabs or pieces with interesting grain/spalting but am currently thinking the majority of the wood is decayed beyond that....I think it will break into about 8 pieces or so just because of the weight and impact.....I may be able to rig is sufficiently to inch it down but it would be time consuming (ie $)

It looks like you have two trees that have grown together. Cut per my suggestions, if the trunk IS solid enough for milling, book match slabs from both sides and, after truing up the mating the edges, join them with bow ties. Contrasting wood ties might be good in a table top.

I havn't dropped the stem(s) yet but am finding lots of cool spalting patterns in the slabs/pieces I've cut so far...

Two piece trunk. Lower larger one useing other half. Use trees behind for final piece down. Or lay old tires for cushion fall as one. I have used small square bales for a cushioned fall zone. Use whats available.

Two piece trunk. Lower larger one useing other half. Use trees behind for final piece down. Or lay old tires for cushion fall as one. I have used small square bales for a cushioned fall zone. Use whats available.

You just gave me a great idea!

I bid to drop a 48 inch oak. Owner (landlord) cleanup. The tenants moved a pool AND trampoline under it since we bid last week. They don't want to waste the water.....and move the pool.

I'll just thank them for giving us a device to protect the logs as they fall. :)

Remember, this is a 48 inch dead oak over their playground. And they want to be obstinate over $ 10 worth of water. :)

BTW, the landlord is a no nonsense fellow, so when the rain stops, and we do it, it will be interesting.......

Back