Big Homelite. What's considered the best?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sounds good. I can't wait to see the 550 when you go back for it. Does it have a full wrap handle? Don't forget that it has a boot as well. I have a really nice/minty one that I received from the original owner when it wouldn't start due to a , you guessed it, faulty boot. I have another one I use as my runner with a 24 inch bar. Good luck, Max.
Hey max. The 550 does indeed have the full wrap which the dealer and myself agreed is not commonly seen on the east coast saws. I was so excited to make the 750 deal and focused on that saw that I didn't ask much about the 550. I asked if it ran and he said it would with new ignition parts. I had the family waiting outside in the car for awhile while we looked at the 750 and made a test cut and didn't have time to get into the 550. Any idea how hard it is to find parts?

Here are a couple of pics of the Homelite 550 I was referring to earlier. It has a full wrap handle and is very clean. I have a set of Homelite spikes for it but they're not currently installed. I keep most of my powerheads seperate from their respective bars in the interest of saving space at my home. Out at my Parent's barn is another story. This saw has a nice crisp 24 inch bar it came with, and it runs like new. Max.
Homelite 550 FW 1.jpg Homelite 550 FW 2.jpg

Well, it would depend on what's needed. Ignition modules/coils can be found fairly easily on eBay at fairly reasonable prices for both new and used. Transformers are another matter. They can be pretty pricey. I'd recommend that you shop around the internet and also explore the For Sale/Wanted section here at AS.
More than likely I'd bet that you could find what you need here in the Homelite Thread or the For Sale/Wanted sections. Do you know what is needed? Be careful: a great saw, and deal, can turn into a money pit quickly and can become quite dissatisfying if the cost of the repairs outweigh the value/enjoyment of the saw as a whole. I have a Homelite 923 or 926 that is nearly complete but I feel I'll never be able to find the parts I'd need to make it a runner. So, it sits in pieces and bums me out. Max.

Here are a couple of pics of the Homelite 550 I was referring to earlier. It has a full wrap handle and is very clean. I have a set of Homelite spikes for it but they're not currently installed. I keep most of my powerheads seperate from their respective bars in the interest of saving space at my home. Out at my Parent's barn is another story. This saw has a nice crisp 24 inch bar it came with, and it runs like new. Max.
View attachment 488169 View attachment 488170
That is a good looking saw. Any idea besides obvious boot what to watch out for on 550's? I figured id ask you and save myself some time.

I'd invest in a new boot, fuel lines and filter, plug, and go through the carb if she's been sitting for a while. Standard fare if you will and just good insurance. Oh, and a good air filter. Filters for these and the 650/750's can be hard to find and are becoming pricey when you do find them. From the sound of it, the 550 is a nice well kept saw especially with the full wrap handle. Any other saws of note at your dealers? Large/larger Poulan's, McCulloch's, Husky's, Stihl's, or Pioneer's?

You brought up a good point. My fear with the 550 is the ignition may not be the only problem. The seller is a mechanic/dealer and said the needed parts can be purchased for around 100 on the bay. I just got to thinking of an idea...if he buys the needed parts and adds that to original non running price and I promise to buy running saw that might work out in my favor a
I'd invest in a new boot, fuel lines and filter, plug, and go through the carb if she's been sitting for a while. Standard fare if you will and just good insurance. Oh, and a good air filter. Filters for these and the 650/750's can be hard to find and are becoming pricey when you do find them. From the sound of it, the 550 is a nice well kept saw especially with the full wrap handle. Any other saws of note at your dealers? Large/larger Poulan's, McCulloch's, Husky's, Stihl's, or Pioneer's?
Yeah he had about 20 other saws from all makes. The ones i remember from a quick glance homelite 26lcs, husqvarna 3120, stihl 038 magnum, 2 mccullochs possibly D44 and another old model, a big Remington. I was way to fired up about the 750 and rushed to take it all in.

You brought up a good point. My fear with the 550 is the ignition may not be the only problem. The seller is a mechanic/dealer and said the needed parts can be purchased for around 100 on the bay. I just got to thinking of an idea...if he buys the needed parts and adds that to original non running price and I promise to buy running saw that might work out in my favor a

Yeah he had about 20 other saws from all makes. The ones i remember from a quick glance homelite 26lcs, husqvarna 3120, stihl 038 magnum, 2 mccullochs possibly D44 and another old model, a big Remington. I was way to fired up about the 750 and rushed to take it all in.
Big Remingtons can be very rare and desirable so maybe take another look?

I asked if it ran and he said it would with new ignition parts. I had the family waiting outside in the car for awhile while we looked at the 750 and made a test cut and didn't have time to get into the 550. Any idea how hard it is to find parts?

The pro series ignition parts are popping up all the time for sale on feebay. It may be a simple fix, so could end up just taking a little time. Not sure how much you know about these ignitions, so if I say something obvious its because I'll assume for other readers some details are needed.

All the pro series (350/360,450, 550, 650, and 750) use pretty much the same ignition system. I say "pretty much" because there are differences such as 450s using a blue trigger module that has a rev limiter, and there's other little details I won't bore you with here. All the saws have a trigger module that is mounted next to the flywheel and a transformer or coil that bolts over the end of the spark plug.

I've laid hands on dozens of the '50 saws and the only ignition failures ever seen were due to a failed contact somewhere in the system. Two problems that have popped up more than once are where the transformer mount contacts the rear cylinder shield for ground, and the coil spring inside the transformer that contacts with the spark plug. The first problem just needs a good cleaning to fix. For the second problem, I've seen cases where the spring had been overly compressed, covered in gunk, and times where the spring had broken. If its broke, you may could solder, but may need a replacement, otherwise its an easy fix. There's always the possibility of a shorted kill switch that could cause a problem, but I've never seen this on a '50 saw.

There's posts on here at AS about how to troubleshoot these systems, so I won't repeat. You can google and hunt for "homelite 750 ignition site:arboristsite.com" and find more than one post that'll hopefully answer any question. Bottom line is the transformer is easy to test and the trigger module pretty much needs testing by parts swapping. Anyways, don't be scared of ignitions for these saws, just go get that 550, 'cause you'll love it.

Dan

Thanks for the info Dan. The 550 was priced ridiculously low because it didn't run so I will just buy it as is and tract down parts and fix it myself. The seller is sending me pics of his collection tonight and after I get the 550 I will share his info so others can contact him and get good deals on the saws I have to pass up on.

Latest posts

Back