Big Locusts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
medium.jpg

These are decent size - about 1 to 1 1/2 cord size.

large.jpg

These are the big ones - After looking them over again today I will downsize the yeild to 1 1/2+ cord per except for the little one on the left.

There are many others scattered around that site but I don't think any near that size. Entire size is about 20 acres by my estimate but it is just a WAG.

Then I was hoping for the 'carrot' that I use in requesting cutting priviledges - that the row up the hill on the field line as also locust and I could do a favor by cutting them back to the fence line. Nope:

walnut.jpg

All Black walnut - eyeball estimate of DBH in the 3 foot plus range.

Haven't written the letter yet. Still trying to come up with a good, well presented reason for cutting the locust. That they are dying from the locust borer is the only hook I can come up with so far.

Harry K

Update: Got my reply today.

No luck. I would have to find wood like that and run into this:

"Sorry but I told my son that he could have the wood. I called him and asked if you could have some. He says no."

I would have to run into just about the only person in this whole county who heats solely with wood.:)

Never got an answer to my other letter at another source.

Harry K

Well, Harry, you can't win 'em all. At least you have all that popcorn willow wood to pull you through. 'Tis a shame. You would have loved burning that black locust and flattening the tires of your truck trying to haul it home. Your truck is probably sighing in relief.

I have 10 cords of locust plus the 4 from this summer saved back for when I can't cut anymore. That stuff doesn't rot so it is money in the bank.

BTW Willow is a poor quality wood but it is far from 'popcorn' or 'balsa' - pretty much equal to Pine. From my experince in the past I figure I burn about 1/3 more of the willow than I did back when I was making 100 mile round trips to cut Tamarack.

Bottom line is I burn what I can get nearby as long as it does the job. Goal is 'most BTU for the buck' and price of gas drives 'good' wood out of the equation.

Harry K

Those trees make the truck look like a matchbox. Bummer you didnt get a good crack at them.

Have you ever been held up in traffic by just a few second to have the car ahead of you get creamed ? And wonder if that might have been you there instead ?

If they arent meant for you don't sweat it and find better prospects. My luck would be someone coming down the closed road just as the tree starts on it's way down to meet them.

Those trees make the truck look like a matchbox. Bummer you didnt get a good crack at them.

Have you ever been held up in traffic by just a few second to have the car ahead of you get creamed ? And wonder if that might have been you there instead ?

If they arent meant for you don't sweat it and find better prospects. My luck would be someone coming down the closed road just as the tree starts on it's way down to meet them.

Sold three cord of willow today and deliver on Saturday about 15 miles out in the country. My pen and notepad will be in the rig and I will be 'scouting'.

The locust borer is going to be doing good things for us woodburners but I really hate to see them dying like this. Predictions are that black locust will be gone around here in a few more years.

Harry K

Sold three cord of willow today and deliver on Saturday about 15 miles out in the country. My pen and notepad will be in the rig and I will be 'scouting'.

The locust borer is going to be doing good things for us woodburners but I really hate to see them dying like this. Predictions are that black locust will be gone around here in a few more years.

Harry K

Congratulations on the sale !
I don't blame you for keeping a sharp eye out for the stuff. It may growout of the ground but seldom easy to get to. LOL

I have a few BL's on an empty plot. I have been pampering them along and trimming for heighth for the last several years. No real reason for it other than I like the smell of them while in bloom and the shade they will make if I ever get the cabin built that I want there. It won't be much more than a hunting lodge but it will be an escape on the weekends. I figure on elevating the cabin 8-10 feet off the ground and having a sleeping loft above the living space. It will give the boys a place to get away from dad too, when they need it. If its insulated, a small wood cookstove should heat the place and be big enough to cook on for 2-3 people.

I keep thinking I would like to get 10-15 years ahead of the game on firewood. The way you keep going with what you are bringing in you will be pretty well set for wood , BL included, by the time you need it in 15-20 years. You are right about it lasting a long time, good choice for wood to stockpile. Gotta hand it to you, it sounds like you bring in more than enough to keep you busy and active. Better'n sitting in front of the set watching game shows all day.

Congratulations on the sale !
I don't blame you for keeping a sharp eye out for the stuff. It may growout of the ground but seldom easy to get to. LOL

I have a few BL's on an empty plot. I have been pampering them along and trimming for heighth for the last several years. No real reason for it other than I like the smell of them while in bloom and the shade they will make if I ever get the cabin built that I want there. It won't be much more than a hunting lodge but it will be an escape on the weekends. I figure on elevating the cabin 8-10 feet off the ground and having a sleeping loft above the living space. It will give the boys a place to get away from dad too, when they need it. If its insulated, a small wood cookstove should heat the place and be big enough to cook on for 2-3 people.

I keep thinking I would like to get 10-15 years ahead of the game on firewood. The way you keep going with what you are bringing in you will be pretty well set for wood , BL included, by the time you need it in 15-20 years. You are right about it lasting a long time, good choice for wood to stockpile. Gotta hand it to you, it sounds like you bring in more than enough to keep you busy and active. Better'n sitting in front of the set watching game shows all day.

That is why I keep cutting...well, that and to salvage stuff that will either rot in the field or be piled and burned by the farmer. Too bad that willow won't keep in the stack. About 3 years is as far as I care to push that stuff.

Already having withdrawal symptoms. The 'bit willow' looks like will remain standing (faller didn't show up today as promised - next chance will be next weekend but I suspect the farmer will work the field by then). That was the last job I had on my list.

....oops, just remembered that last spring a guy promised to call after harvest to get several fir trees removed from around his house. Must give him a call.

Harry K

Been wondering the same. Haven't burned any until this fall in over 10 years so I have forgotten.

I am burning the really small stuff (1" and up gauge) plus trim "chunks" in the evenings and seem to be dumping the ash pan a lot more than with the willow I usually burn.

Of course, as good as locusst is as firewood I wouldn't care if I had to dump ashes every day :)

Harry K

Latest posts

Back