Big nasty leaner, no crane access, would like some opinions/ advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rope,
I like that jump cut. If you watch the full vid I inadvertently did that with one of the big tops over the shed. I had cut a small notch and pretightened the line with a truck. The bull line was tied about center on the piece and it jumped out quite a bit. That piece would have made it just fine if it had hinged over but I can see the value of jumping it when you need that extra couple of feet.

When I am climbing and making dangerous cuts Like that I often like to make the cut, then come down to the ground and watch the piece fly. It takes more time and effort that way, but if you put the climb line on a pulley instead of a natural crotch then it is always easy to get back up with a good pull from a winch, truck, skid, or some strong groundies, or you can just tie yourself into the rigging line to get pulled up. I usually come down when I am making those lifting cuts as well, sometimes those bastards swing in the exact opposite direction you would think they'd go.

Now I would use my winch to pull that thing over too. The profits from that job bought me this new toy:
fc63np.jpg

15000 lb ramsey winch. Conveniently named the patriot 15000. It also has a wireless remote so you can control it from the tree if you want... pretty sweet. I just used it last week to remove another very large cottonwood with spreading limbs over houses. Set my block in the top and lifted most sections out just as if I had a crane. For anyone that wants to try that technique I warn you to cut all the the small branches and stubs off before you start lifting big wood. They can swing quite a bit and if it hits a smaller branch it will snap it and send it off like a bullet. Also you should always come down before you do the lifting, it sucks to be climbing up and down all day, but it really sucks to have a 1000lb log land in your lap.

Nice so the winch can be operated from the tree? That could be sweet one thing about winches, if winch is strong enough a lower pull point creates faster action. If its set high you can't take slack up as fast! My bucket winch is never hardly set much higher that 25 feet even on learners but it is 40000 lb pto with 5/8 steel cable attached to a 24000 lb actual weight 33gvw truck. The winch will skid the truck across the ground with air brakes on! It will uproot trees 20" diameter if you want it to:) I set cable at 20 feet notch tree then pull til the top shakes and kill truck winch in gear, that is usually all that is needed but if its a leaner or nasty I cut till there is four to three inches of holding wood and kerf is starting to open in back cut then apply more pull!

Yeah the remote for the winch looks just like a control for auto locks on a car. It is small and fits on a key chain. It is great for lifting pieces out. I can set my own tension as I make my cut, that way I don't have to worry about the groundies taking it to far. It is a really cool system and you can actually get it for any winch that uses the standard winch control hookup. You wire it up in your truck and have a magnetic antenna you stick on the roof and then you just plug it into the winch control.

That sounds like an awesome set up you have with the pto driven winch. That is a hell of a lot of pull. I think right now the weak point in my system is how I have it mounted. It is just mounted on a front tow hitch with a mount I fabbed up myself. I don't think I would trust it to hold for much more than 7-10 thousand pounds of load. Soon I want to either build or buy a big bumper to mount it on, then I should be able to get the full 15000 out of it.

Yeah the remote for the winch looks just like a control for auto locks on a car. It is small and fits on a key chain. It is great for lifting pieces out. I can set my own tension as I make my cut, that way I don't have to worry about the groundies taking it to far. It is a really cool system and you can actually get it for any winch that uses the standard winch control hookup. You wire it up in your truck and have a magnetic antenna you stick on the roof and then you just plug it into the winch control.

That sounds like an awesome set up you have with the pto driven winch. That is a hell of a lot of pull. I think right now the weak point in my system is how I have it mounted. It is just mounted on a front tow hitch with a mount I fabbed up myself. I don't think I would trust it to hold for much more than 7-10 thousand pounds of load. Soon I want to either build or buy a big bumper to mount it on, then I should be able to get the full 15000 out of it.

It really looks like its a sweet winch I may get me one someday with the remote. I can see the value in that but I'm a control freak lol:)

Latest posts

Back