Big Red Oak came down last night

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale.Z

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Big Red Oak came down last night and took out some power lines. Power Company came out and cut up the old patriarch to restore the power.
Upon first light this morning I went out to see the damage and to my surprise this tree is massive. It has to be every inch of 75 feet or more. My measuring skills are based on when I worked on 747’s from ground to the top of the tail was 65 feet and this big oak would reach that height.
Any way the power company left me four nice logs. My question is what is it that the saw mill is looking for when purchasing timber.
The smallest log is 16 inches at the small end and 7 feet long the remaining logs are larger in diameter and length.
Does it sound like it’s worth the time and effort to haul them to the mill? Or do I just have some new firewood to process?

Thanks for your help,
Dale

I'm kinda new around here. But I think this section (milling & saw mills) is more geared toward those who own and operate smaller scale hobby saw mills. I don't know if it's worth it to take the logs to a commercial mill but your oak logs sound like just the kind of wood that guys with chainsaw mills and portable bandsaw mills look for. These guys will mill the wood into wide, thick "slabs" and use the wood for woodworking projects because slabs like that are hard to find at retail lumber suppliers and when they can be found, they are expensive. So, the high quality of the product, the fun of milling it yourself, and the savings are why hobby millers do it. I'm sure it you found one of them, they'd be interested in your logs.

The log market is in the toilet these days and some mills will refuse logs from homesites because they often have nails, barbwire, etc., in them. I could be wrong, but I doubt if anyone would pay you much for those logs.

Realistically, if you need firewood, you've got it. If you don't need firewood, you could offer the logs (for free) to someone who will put them to good use.

Maybe one of our forum members who lives in your area will chime in.

Thanks gentlemen for the replies that’s what I was looking for I guess I will be adding it to the seasoning wood pile. Just was bigger then most wood I come across thought I could make a buck or two.

Thanks

The best way to make a buck or two off a tree like that is to have some one mill it up for you and then you sell it as a lot or piece by piece. However that does takes time.

Back