Big score on huge ash!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dparkguy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Always love it when the crane truck shows up. Base is 44" and 40' up this thing was 38". Finally decided to make 2013 the year I install my OWB and gotta have the wood to go with it. I have a lot of work ahead of me.

Fabulous Score

Always love it when the crane truck shows up. Base is 44" and 40' up this thing was 38". Finally decided to make 2013 the year I install my OWB and gotta have the wood to go with it. I have a lot of work ahead of me.
Ash often wins the vote here as the #1 firewood of them all. Dries much faster than oak and almost carries the same heat content. Easy to burn and splits rather easliy. This tree must have been about 60 years old. Count the rings at the trunk.

Do a good job cutting those big rounds--nice and square at the ends. Take your time. I've got about 6 cords of ash ready for splitting that I cut in January, 2012. I've already split and burned another 5 cords of it this past winter.

+1 What the Wood Doctor said.. Niice heat, splits nice, good heat but not a lot of coals like the Oak. For many years, we never cut much ash and always thought of it as scrap wood for heat. Now I take all I can get. :bang:

That is a big one for sure.. I'd sure like to buck that puppy and watch the chips fill up around my feet.

Nice Score!!

Rep sent...

Last edited:
Very nice! Love that stuff, powersplitting, makes you feel 20 years younger!

Agreed. Didn't have any last burning season. This year I have burned quite a bit, plus I have about 10 cords seasoning in stacks, with another 3 plus waiting to be split and stacked. I'm a believer.:rock:

I "Small" chunk

This may give you an idea of how big that an ash tree can grow:

BigLog2.gif

I imagine this tree alone produced 8 to 10 cords of firewood. Imagine how much this chunk weighed. Gasp!

Latest posts

Back