big shot's- anyone use them?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I should have given it more of a chance. I didnt really practice with it too much but I have found that Im pretty good with a throw ball up to about 85 ft. I dont know if I could justify the expence.
its alright but if you can work a throwball you will be let down by the big shot if you overshoot it gets hung up in the top and your climbing to retrieve the throw line because it looks like #### left in the tree

When i had a wood pole for my pole saw I also used it on the big shot. But i found it flexed more and made aiming harder. Then eventually it broke and i replaced it with fiberglass.

yea that happened to me this year and i got smacked right in my fat mouth with the side of the slingshot then i beat it against a tree for about 2 minutes

ah, the sense of humor from our kind is priceless

also, i found with the longer pole, plantin it on the ground since the ground does not move, like your quivering belt line or whatever, so you get a more controlled shot

I use it on the occasion when I cannot hit a high throw, or the crown is particularly crowded. Very usefull tool, but a PITA to change out the rubber tubes on the head. Get them a bit out of line and it does not shoot very well.

If you tell me you don't have a big shot you just told me that you are not a commercial arborist. Anyone who does tree work for a living and does not have a BS is living in the dark ages. The BS is a tool that has revolutionized rigging and climbing. I also think people who don't own a GRCS are also missing out.
oh well....
Greg

A few years ago somebody here had a video about a pneumatic tennis ball launcher so I had to try it. Works great as long as the battery in the portable compressor is not dead. I also get nervous about pressurizing pvc in the cold even though I don't go above 40-50psi for tree work.

I still go back and forth about buying a Big shot because the launcher works so well. If I forget to charge the battery one more time, it will probably annoy me enough to break down and buy a Big Shot.

I don't doubt that it will pay for itself in the time savings over me throwing a line unassisted.

Big Shot

I've got the BS deluxe kit from Sherrill. I love it! I find that a 16oz bag and the zing-it throw line works the best for me, especially on rough barked trees. I use mine all the time and hit 90 ft+ shots with ease. Just make sure you're throw line is anchored before you fire so it doesn't get pulled up in the tree!

Just bought one last month. I purchased it with two 4' fiberglass poles (p/u bed is only 6'). Have not used it for tree work yet, but have played with it a bit.

Eventually I'll own a GRCS.:)

gcrs

this is a spendy unit, that you may seldom use (depending on the crew/jobs)

a port -a wrap, used with pulley/rope combinations can give you similar advantages, for a lot less $$$

plus these tools will be much more useful in everyday work!

Can't beat a big shot!

From a guy who used throwballs for years (quite accurately), the difference is hitting "the spot" on the first shot (with practice), saving all that labor time I used to pay while guys stood around waiting on a line to be set. Great expense!!

Latest posts

Back