big shot's- anyone use them?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wahlturfcare

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i am looking into getting a big shot launcher for taller trees and wondering if anyone else has used them and what they think if it?

Use mine all the time, love it. Practice with it and you will be able to set a rope just about anywhere. IMO its another tool to have in the bag, great for tall trees, or trees with limited space around them, or heck just about any tree.

Its one of those tools I always have on the truck and use almost everyday. I even use it to set lowering lines if I find the "perfect spot" before I go up. Can't beat it for the time it saves you. But, just like throwing the throwbag, it takes practice to become accurate.

I like the original pocket design better than the new one. I have both, and the old one holds the throwbag in a cup rather than flat. I found that more accurate.

I'm also looking at the Big Shot. What weight throw weight works best? The rubber ball type that I have seems a bit heavy for a Big Shot.

They're especially nice for nearly vertical launches. I consider it an absolutely essential piece of gear. I call it my 'poor man's bucket truck.'

I still like to throw the bag, but if I have to set a 60 or 70 foot tie-in point, my throwing accuracy goes way down the more swing I have to put on it. At under 40 feet, I like to toss, anything over that, out comes the BigShot.

There is something uniquely gratifying (and moneymaking) in being able to set a line high and swiftly so you can get on with the core of your business. And I have to admit, the bigshot is just plain fun to use.

12 oz is my fave, but that's just me, either shooting or throwing. 10 oz for higher placements and SRT rigs.

Never go to a job without it in my bag of tricks.

Only problem - when I put on a new sling, I found the newer style shotbag not to my liking. It is too wide open & floppy.

I have one. It stays home almost every day. I use it rec climbing more than for actual work. I like to travel light. It does launch Dunkin Donuts munchkins like a champ though, golf balls not so good.

Nothing's nicer than snagging a hanger 50 ft. up and pulling it down; especially if it's in an area where children play and we can't get back to start the job for a few weeks. I just replaced my rubber tubes and sling after 3 years. The new style cup is different but I suspect there will be fewer hang ups.
Phil

I agree with pretty much everything written above.

The 12 is about optimal I think. Of course you'll need to take into account what type of line you are using, if you're in a crotch, how smooth the bark is, etc.

12oz gets it done most of the time, but occasionally I'll need a 14 and once or twice used a 16.

If you already have poles you may only need the head. 8' it think is the optimal pole length for it. 2 4' sections make it nicely portable.

Kids and adults alike get a kick out of it.

Yesterday I was working in the rain. Actually, I was working, and it began to rain and I just hung in there. Wet can change the line characteristics, as it did with the crap line I'm using at the present. The shot went fine, but I could feel enough resistance once it went up and over the main limb that I knew if I traced the line back over the two lower limbs it might not make it down. So, I just let it drop vertically and added some weight, then pulled it back up, swung the bag & traced the line over the limbs and all went well.

Below is a picture of the bag with the extra added weight. A little trick for when that time comes, and it eventually will.

As far as pole length, I know the suggestion is an 8 foot pole, but I like a 6. I plant the base of the pole on my beltline, kinda look up the pole like the barrel of a shotgun. I've tried many different ways. There's no 'right' way, just whatever works for you.

attachment.php

i use mine at least once a week , the only problem i had was i once fired it up it went right through the tree top and came back down right through a pool cover. so i changed the bag type from the one that is tapered to the one that is more rounded.also i am now very aware of the way i shoot it no pools , no skylights and no people

I guess I should have given it more of a chance. I didnt really practice with it too much but I have found that Im pretty good with a throw ball up to about 85 ft. I dont know if I could justify the expence.

Back