Big sycamore anyone?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
windthrown

windthrown

361 Junkie
Mine's bigger, but I'm not going to cut it, and I sure as heck wouldn't burn it. Good for nothing but throwing away, IMHO.
I hate that stuff. Leaves more ash than you had wood to begin with, and so little heat. Bleh! I hate it! (Can you tell?)

What he said. Crappy firewood in my experience. I would never plant one either. Had a huge sycamore in California in my front yard. I had to constantly prune it and I burned the wood, but... never again.

TeeMan

TeeMan

ArboristSite Operative
There are three sycamore trees coming down across the street from me right now. I'm not going to bother with them after have gone through splitting two others up a few years back when my other neighbor had some come down.

ponyexpress976

ponyexpress976

nipple fritters
It burns better than snowballs...but only barely. Be glad you didn't have to chip the brush. Every time I have to deal with one, I get a fresh pack of dust masks and I still end up a hacking mess.

bigblue12v

bigblue12v

ArboristSite Operative
It burns better than snowballs...but only barely. Be glad you didn't have to chip the brush. Every time I have to deal with one, I get a fresh pack of dust masks and I still end up a hacking mess.
Lmao!
I don't own a chipper I'm a firewood junkie not a tree guy. Yea the saw dust was definitely as you described it. Yuck.

Kevin in Ohio

Kevin in Ohio

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
We have some larger ones over at the farm.

sycamore.JPG

Naturally by a creek and there about 5 this size within 200ft of each other.

MVC-023S_7.JPG

MVC-024S_8.JPG

MVC-022S_7.JPG

When healthy, they can grow amazingly big and use a LOT of water doing so. Not my choice wood either and I put it just above cottonwood.

sdt7618

sdt7618

ArboristSite Guru
Heat our home with it mostly as it is our predominant wood here, but has been debated before the sycamore in the UK is more likely to be London Plane, doesn't have the splitting issues and is free heat.