Big Walnut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gravely Grinch

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A friend wants me to take down a 1 yr standing dead walnut tree. From what he says (haven't looked at the job yet) it's 28" dia. at the base and no limbs 20 ft up. Is this tree worth anything or should I drop, lop, chop and burn it? Excuse my ignorance here..... I'm a small engine mechanic, saw collector and firewood cutter. I have no idea what any given tree is worth other than BTU value.

The tree isn't worth anything standing there but if you cut it down and have it milled you might be able to turn it into some money. How much is air dried clear walnut worth in your area? Probably a few dollars a board foot.

In Ohio, that lumber should be worth more than anywhere since there is alot of walnut there. Here in Pa you won't get much for it, if anything.

I cant tell you right now on how much it is worth but air drying it is fine but it will be worth alot more kiln dryed then any one can use it. I wouldnt get it steammed if you are going to have some kiln dryed , a lot more people are liking the really dark unsteamed walnut.
Jack.
PS
can you let walnut stand for a year dead and still be good wood???
I dont know i heard not and i heard yes.

I would think it would still be good, I dont think i would let it stand anylonger that 1 year it could start getting punky. The only way to find out is cut-er down, if you cant get lumber out of it you will surely have some good fire wood. I know in NY its hard to sell just one Black Walnut log. A lot of the smaller mills wont take them due to the sap/gum that is left behind on saw. Which in turn demands that it must be cleaned before they run any other type of wood. You could get someone with one of those portable saw mills to come and process it, then you could sell it in the paper or e-bay or somthing. Anywho good luck.

Latest posts

Back