Biggest climber you know?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am the biggest climber I know personally (6'2-6"3 something like that and 200-215lbs), if you want to call me a climber. Sure I set a line, hump up rope, and play with a saw every now and then but im no ace. Most of the climbers I know personally are small guys, and they look and preform like monkeys in the tree. I dont do bad if I have a solid TIP and feel secure. I still get pretty nervous about TIPs. I would say its my biggest problem so far (trusting the tie in). Its not so bad once I hump my way up there and see that its not dead/damaged/ rotted. I have been told that having that fear is good and that complacency is the biggest killer of good tree men. Also while I havent personally met them I have heard of bigger guys then me being beasts in the tree, also being faster climbers then the little guys. Something about more upper body strength, and longer reach... I dont know. I dont do production climbing so speed isnt something we are after. As long as the job is done safely and we make money we are happy. Good luck learning, and im sure a couple months climbing you will shed some of that weight. I did. lol...

Honestly me. 6'5 225-230 depending on the season and thickness of my wife's winter coat :) if ya know what I mean. That being said I have a climber working for me every Thursday and Friday that's 5'7 maybe 175 and he's 4 times faster than me.

All im saying is a guy my mentor used to climb with while working for a line clearing company was my size maybe a little bigger and could pull himself up hand over hand, not body thrust faster then Kevin could thrust even with spikes. I never saw it, or met him. Only heard the stories.

filepicker%2FijWRxORKSeCIgsPg8RIJ_paul_bunyan.jpg

Got a guy who works for me part time, he's 6'2" and about 210. He gets around pretty good for being so tall. Trimmed 3 for me last week in just under 2 hrs. Thats the biggest guy I've personally seen climb. He's part time because he went up the first 30' without any kind of tie in at all, makes me uncomfortable seeing people do that on my payroll.
I'm 6' and 195 and get around pretty good.

Shoot, I am 5'11" and 250 and I do all right. Mostly spur climbing removals. I really want to get boots with a better shank under the foot because my feet get numb after 45 minutes or so. I know I should lose weight but I don't let being big slow me down.

I'm around 6'2 or 6'3and around 210. And IMO do just fine. Have a couple buddies the are 6' or so that weigh around 300 and do just fine. they do not care for small trees but get around real good in the bigger ones. If you do start climbing you will drop some weight.

I'm 6,3 240 max was 275 much much easier to climb after loosing weight want to b 210 in spring. Place I used to work everybody talked about how great a foreman who used to work there was I guess he had a big belly but was just incredible. I worked with some very professional climbers and foremen. One guy who worked there was state and or regional champion climber. I asked how did he compare to the foreman with the belly they said he was definitely better treebwonkenobie.

Back