Biggest log splitter pump??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nparch726

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi guys, I've got all sorts of wild ideas for my next log splitter, I was just wondering what's the largest 2-stage pump you've seen? The biggest I've seen is a 28 GPM, just wondering if there's any bigger out there?

I am also building a splitter, lots of fun when you build it and it works like it is supposed to?? I thought i had seen a 32 GPM but i cannot find it again but i do know they make 1. sorry i can't find it again

As far as Haldex Barnes two stage pumps go 28 gpm is the biggest. I do not know about any of the other makers of two stage pumps.

You could make any size two stage you want. It would take a two section or stacked pumps and an external valve to drop the high speed section out when the pressure got too high. I believe the guy that goes by Cylinder Service here on AS discussed this before.

Don

yup, with a bunch of extra plumbing, both for oil and drive system for the pumps, my cousin took a massive 42gpm single stage, along with a 10gpm single stage, and made a FAST splitter. moved a 3" ram 40" 2 seconds...

Whats the advantage of a two stage, (ie stacked) IF you have a big enough pump? Moving oil is moving oil???????

Just how big of a pump do you figure you'll need?

Are you finally gonna out-do that guy with the small block Chevy splitter? :rock:

My thoughts are that there really is no need for a 2stage above 28GPM. Most of the time the reason for more flow is to move a bigger cyl faster and big cylinders already have loads of power at pressure levels larger engines can handle on single stage pumps. Besides moving that much fluid will require components sized for high fluid flows and that will up the cost tremendously. I'm pushing the limits with just 22gpm on a beam and valve assembly designed for 11gpm. I get alot of squealing even at throttle settings below 22gpm.

wkpoor has a good point on the cost of the accessory equipment to have a balanced system. The double pump system is going to be spendy. The 1" plus dia. hose rated at 3000+ psi is going to be spendy also. Spool valve rated at 40gpm, more money.

The stuff costs a lot more because it is not as common. Most modern high pressure stuff is 1/4 or 3/8" line. You have to get to heavy equipment to see the high pressure high flow stuff. Here in Iowa the farm stores and auto parts stores only stock 2250 psi rated 3/4" hose. I have to go to a dealer to get the high pressure stuff. The 1/2 and 3/8" hose is rated for high pressure but the old farm equipment that takes 3/4" hose are not high pressure systems.

When you want to go big it gets expensive.

Don

Just had a thought about a hydraulic system I have yet to read on here If I wanted to build a high flow splitter I would use a pressure compensated piston pump that would provide full flow and pressure at any engine speed but could also vary the flow based on demand. Basically a closed center system.

22 gal pump

i have a 22 gal pump on a 11hp honda.cycle time is 8 to 9 sec.works very well any faster seems un safe.k

I have just purchased and installed the 28 gpm 2 stage on my splitter. I have a THD wisconsin engine running it. The engine will turn 3600 rpm and give me a 5 second cycle time, with a 4"X24" cyl. In my opinion, this is too fast for safety. I can handle it but it seems a little scary. I Idle it back to about 2400 or so for about a 7 sec cycle, much quieter and less dangerous. I have the big hoses and valve so everything works together well. It gets plenty done in short order. That engine never bogs or even changes it's tone up to the 3000 psi relief setting.

wkpoor has a good point on the cost of the accessory equipment to have a balanced system. The double pump system is going to be spendy. The 1" plus dia. hose rated at 3000+ psi is going to be spendy also. Spool valve rated at 40gpm, more money.

The stuff costs a lot more because it is not as common. Most modern high pressure stuff is 1/4 or 3/8" line. You have to get to heavy equipment to see the high pressure high flow stuff. Here in Iowa the farm stores and auto parts stores only stock 2250 psi rated 3/4" hose. I have to go to a dealer to get the high pressure stuff. The 1/2 and 3/8" hose is rated for high pressure but the old farm equipment that takes 3/4" hose are not high pressure systems.

When you want to go big it gets expensive.

Don

I just had 2 1" 5000 psi hoses made that were 3' long with O ring fittings for an excavator and they were $100 each:cry:

I run a 28 gpm with an 18hp Briggs Intek v-twin. It's the same engine a lot of the lower to mid range ZTR mowers run although most of them are running the larger hp ratings.

With the 18 hp it has no problems running the pump at less than full throttle. The highest load is not at 3000 psi, it has the same high pressure section as the 22 gpm pump. The highest load is right before it kicks down from high flow to low flow.

Don

I haven't started the big build yet, but so far what I have is a good running 18HP Kohler out of a newer Craftsman mower. Of course I plan on keeping the electric start and gauges and all the goodies off the mower and building a "dash" of sorts on the splitter. I have an I-beam, and a 5" x 30" cylinder that would be right at home on a splitter, and I'm planning on building it to be a horizontal and vertical unit, with a small hydraulic cylinder to raise and lower it to and from the horizontal and vertical positions. I think with that heavy of a beam and that large a cylinder, it would be a killer to raise and lower it manually.

So I have just about everything I need except a pump, control valves, and all the hoses and what nots. Of course I'll have to take a few pictures when I finally get around to building, I know how you guys love pictures!

Check the dynex pump catalog... We have been running a 45 gpm variable displacement dynex for about 8 years now.
Our test stand it basically a mutant wood splitter, 120 inches of stroke of dual 10" cylinders..

http://www.dynexhydraulics.com/cbpump.htm

If you can find cylinders to handle it, 60 gpm at 20K psi would make a hellova log splitter....

Last edited:
Check the dynex pump catalog... We have been running a 45 gpm variable displacement dynex for about 8 years now.
Our test stand it basically a mutant wood splitter, 120 inches of stroke of dual 10" cylinders..

http://www.dynexhydraulics.com/cbpump.htm

If you can find cylinders to handle it, 60 gpm at 20K psi would make a hellova log splitter....

holy moly! you blew my idea out of the water!!

i was gonna use a pair of 9"....but they're not desniged to push :( they have 3" rams......but with some lath work and if i could find some heavy wall pipe, and with some seal kit hunting, i thought about lathing out a set of 8" rams with a set of brass collars......hehehe.......

take one off an old cat:clap:

Like this? :hmm3grin2orange:

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back