biggest tree fell?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry bout not gettin back to reply to your answers-been away from the puter the last week.

I guess at some time or another all things have to come to an end, for better or worse. now for the land that these timber companies and camps worked on, who has this land now? other companies, FS land, state land?

Reading into some of the responses i get the idea that some camps/companies went out because of management issues, did the rest go out because of market conditions at the time or just that the harvestable timber was cut?

just curious, thanks

Depends...some of the shows I worked on were private timber sales. Some were through the Forest Service and some were leased land...or contracted to clear. The big houses like CrownZ, BoiseC, Weyerhaeuser etc, used to own a lot of the land they logged on. And then again, some of that was leased from the FS and/or they had contracts with the FS. In Colorado, everything is through the FS or BLM. You bid on the timber scale from the FS marked trees in a sale lot and the FS takes the lowest bid. Some of the sales were so poorly logged out, that Fraiser Brothers would go back in to clean them up. I worked one sale for a kid that was my age and had a log truck & skidder....that was it. Two yrs later, I was back in that same sale with Frasier Brothers, cleaning up from the kid's show. I even recognized my old stumps! The kid had us cream the best trees in the lot and then went tits up. The FS let him get away with murder, because they thought he was hard working and legit....we all found out otherwise.

I did a google search on login' companies in Oregon-873!!! You'd think it was a thriving enterprise still!

Kevin

Kevin

I am but a novice...largest I have taken was 57 inches of Sitka spruce...but I work with the Pacific Lumber Company northern California. I saw a couple 17 footers and one just over 18 feet come down. One tree took 22 truckloads to haul out [Elk River, Eureka, Calif].

Coastal Redwood; Spring of 01, in Humboldt County California; 110 inches diameter inside bark; 130 foot tall stob (wish it would have had the top in it!); 33,000 bd. ft.; First two 20 foot logs off the butt had to be quarted so that they could be flown with the Boeing 234 Chinook, which has a total lift of 28,000 lb's. The third and fourth cuts had to be ripped in half. I fell it with my Modified 088, with a 60 inch bar and 404 chain. Jacked up hill using Silvey Tree Saver Jack with two rams. I worked with guys (best Fallers in the world imho) in Humboldt that had cut a lot bigger and nicer trees than this, but it is the biggest tree I ever fell. Wish I could cut timber like this every day, I would do it until I was too old and weak to run a chainsaw! It was Glorious!:cheers:

If you were cutting for Columbia on PALCO lands I was the bio there trying to help get that cut out...Man I miss that place.

Yeah, I don't think they are doing too much of this in Humboldt anymore, but I have fallen out of touch with the guys that I worked with down there, so not certain. I know when I was there we felt lucky to get a job like this now and again, as we were mostly in second growth. I heard that Pacific lumber went belly up?? Randymac might know more?? :)

Cody

I was at PALCO when she died at 139 years old. Making money left and right but the parent TX company needed the 535 million from the land in its value. I was 5th generation there...still sad. Now I work for the Forest Service and fight daily to cut sticks.

Jut proves you can never go back. New company owning those lands does it all different. I quit cause it didn't agree.

Latest posts

Back