Biggest wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We've had some fairly large ones over the years. Toothpicks compared to some of them out west though I'll include a few pics I've shown before.

205815d1320514440-mvc-012s-jpg

MVC-022F.JPG

This Ash was right behind my house. Over 4 ft at the base and over 80ft high. Lightning hit it 4 times that I know of and finally took most of it out. 2/3 of it fell out and it is still alive on what is left(shown in the second pic)

85587d1231027676-mvc-009s-jpg

85588d1231027719-mvc-008s-jpg

85789d1231179664-mvc-024s-jpg

This Beech was was close to 6ft at the base. Ike took the top out and the 2 main branches 30 ft up were 3ft and 4ft in diameter. Second pic is the wood from JUST the top. Over 15 cord in one tree. I'd guess it was close to 400 years old as I've counted 3 footers and they are 200 years here by the rings.

85676d1231077668-mvc-012s-jpg

MVC-022S_7.JPG

MVC-023S_7.JPG

This sycamore is the biggest, healthy tree we now have. close to 5 ft at the base. I wonder how much water this thing sucks up a year? Second pic shows a leaf from it last year. There are about 5 big sycamore trees withing a 200ft area here. On the other side of the creek there is a double that has 2 4 footers together. You can see that in the 3rd pic.

We had 2 big maples that were over 4 ft out by the road of this farm too. We cut those as they were way to close to the house and would have killed someone if they fell on it. Kinda rare to get this size around here as 3 ft is generally the norm.

Kevin, I'm curious as to the amount of rot in the trunk of that big beech. In my area of NNY state there are some good sized beech(none that big that I've seen) and nearly all will have rot. Still great firewood though.

Kevin, I'm curious as to the amount of rot in the trunk of that big beech. In my area of NNY state there are some good sized beech(none that big that I've seen) and nearly all will have rot. Still great firewood though.

That's what made it so sad. It had zero rot and none of the top had fallen out. You can see from the pics of the tops splits how there wasn't rot there either. Just a HUGE amount of weight up in the air with high winds and it came down.

It was such a freakish thing when the reminates of Ike came through here. We just had Super high winds with no rain. If the ground would have been saturated, we would have lost most all our big trees. I was at home and went outside when it was happening. I had a 3 ft catalpa the was heaving a 40ft diameter circle of sod around the base about 1 ft. Never fell then but slowly was going to. Over the powerlines and in the road right of way so the county hired it down before it took it all out. weirdest thing I've ever personally witnessed.

OK, this ash isn't that big but I'm glad I have a 70+ cc saw with a 24" bar...

View attachment 303640View attachment 303641

I got two rounds out of the piece of trunk, with the 'cookie' left over. I couldn't have lifted even half of those rounds into the truck, and the tractor was at home.

(Yes, the chain is loose. I had just finished noodling the two rounds, so it was quite hot. I adjusted it after letting it cool down.)

Jon

OK, this ash isn't that big but I'm glad I have a 70+ cc saw with a 24" bar...

View attachment 303640View attachment 303641

I got two rounds out of the piece of trunk, with the 'cookie' left over. I couldn't have lifted even half of those rounds into the truck, and the tractor was at home.

(Yes, the chain is loose. I had just finished noodling the two rounds, so it was quite hot. I adjusted it after letting it cool down.)

Jon

hey jon, did you know your chian is a little.... uhhhh... wait... nevermind. carry on :hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back