Bio Bar & Chain Oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timber12

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Does anyone use bio bar n chain oil? I am looking to try some out. Any recomendations, prices?:chainsawguy:

That topic has been covered over and over again in a number of threads going back four or five years.

Up above is a 'search' function. Type in bio or veggie or vegetable oil or bar lube. You will get more reading than you could imagine as bar lubrication is central to all of us.

I'm redirecting you to those threads because the hundreds of guys who contributed to those threads did so when the topic was hot, and are less willing to repeat themselves. The information hasn't changed. The result in this thread would be a highly diluted, lightweight version of what's already been done.

Please, don't feel you're being turned away. You're a noob here, and we welcome you, Timber12. But your questions should be started with a casual search of existing threads, using key words. If you have questions unanswered, rekindle those threads and ask the question there. Every single person who has contributed to that thread will be sent a notice, and they will all be there to answer your question.

6 years. Is that 24 seasons or is the prime work part of the year a season? Then it would be 6 seasons, except I work solid through the Winter, so that would be a season, making 12 seasons,
arrrgh, I'm confusing myself.

Maybe we should make a list of the links to all the previous bio bar oil threads.

Let's look for those, :Eye: :Eye:

Has any of you tested Oregons bar oil that you blend with water ???

bio oil

Interesting the arborol.

I've been using veggie oil for a few months now. (Canola oil in my case)
I'm much happier knowing that what I touch isn't toxic, I'm not spreading petrol product all around, and I'm not breathing it in in vaporized form. Over all, way healthier. On my bigger saws with bigger bars running long and hard, they seem to heat up too much, so I will blend in a little of the bad shxx. Thats only for serious bucking with 28" and up.
just my 2 bits

hmmmmmm mixing water with oil....anyone else find this interesting?

squad said:
Interesting, but I think I'll wait a while until the jury is out.
I may give it a try. My main climbing saw has seen veggie oil since day one, almost 5 years ago. It's amazing a saw can last that long in the hands of a commercial Arborist.

Anyway, I'd be willing to use this fiesty old dog as an experimental lab rat.

The way you can mix oil and water is through the use of emulsifiers, just what they might do to the saw over time is the question.

We've pretty much been mixing oil and water since the beginning of time. Emulsifiers are nothing new, but they're definitely new as far as the chainsaw is concerned.

I'm not sure if they're selling the emulsified veggie oil as lubricant, or are they selling the emulsifier itself, and you mix your own veggie-water.

Back