bio brick

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky455rancher

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
hey guys have any of you tried the bio brick things? i think im screwed this year seasoned wood wise. i got next years supply all split and its drying but this year i have very little. i got this place local to me and not that it makes much difference but its tax free this weekend in mass. i might get a new snow blower too since i gotta get one anyway. http://www.woodpelletsexperts.com/ws-pricing.html

any info on these things would be great. they have quite a few different versions of it im not sure what would be best.

I remember reading here that sometimes these manufactured logs go on sale or you can get a steep discount in the spring after heating season buying by the pallet load. BTU wise they can be good decent to great.

Can you find standing dead? Anything, pine with the bark falling off, elm, whatever. Most all the smaller pieces will be good to burn immediately.

Ash wood will dry fast, split and stacked now, so will tulip poplar. Either, done now this week, will be good to burn this winter, if it is stacked *well*, great sun, good wind, off the ground, single rows.

Don't neglect "smalls" if you find standing dead, milk those little branches out with your smallest saw. So you go to grab some wood to throw in the stove, you grab 3-4 pieces instead of one..beats snowballs!

Not every single tree but a lot of trees I cut down to one inch, and I ain't lying and it all burns and it adds up.

Any place in the east you can scrounge dead pine for free, heck, you might could get paid to remove it from people's yards. Standing dead or downed dead with the branches holding the trunk off the ground and the bark falling off. It works. I have burned cords and cords of the stuff. It hits around 50% of primo oak for BTUs. So, pay for oak (one way or the other) wait two years or get free pine, cut it split it stack it, burn it this year for free. Easy to cut, too.

Tulip poplar is a little better, cleaner, no stickyness to it at all, and splits even easier once a little initial dryness in the round sets in and it starts to crack. That and ash are usually the fastest processing woods I take.

They work ok. Much hotter than splits. Running a mix of not so good splits and compressed blocks works well. Read the labels you do not want items using wax as a binder as that is a lower compression product. Blocks by themselves can be too much of a good thing - over fire stove. I have used them in a mixed fashion and stand alone. BY themselves I do not get as long a burn, but as noted above you can't stuff the stove full with them like splits. Lot less ash build up when used alone. I recommend them for use when in a bind for dry wood. cost wise around here about the same as a cord of oak or such maybe even a little less this year when purchased by the pallet worth.

I've used them in the past. They do last a long time especially if you pack them tightly together. I found the compressed logs to be more effective than the bricks.
They are also great fire starters. I cut chunks off the log/brick & use that to start the fire.

Make sure it is the bio brick brand and not some knock off . Bio bricks are awesome to mix the downside of coarse is they are not cheap to use on a regular basis

I've used these firebricks with very good results for the past 6 years. As others have stated used in conjunction with splits obtains good results. I usually order them from a lumber mill and have found it to be considerably cheaper than buying and picking up from the nearest TSC which surprised me. I have ton on order now and arranged to have it delivered during my time off. All I need to do is clear a spot in the garage and they'll drop it where I want it.

I haven't tried Bio Bricks but I did buy a few Gren Heat bricks last spring. I find they work very well. This summer they were on sale for I think $4 a bundle of 20 bricks at Menards, totaling 38 lbs per bundle. From what I remember based on the cost of propane around here and efficiency of the furnace, for every $200 I spent on bricks I get the equivalent of $300 in propane.

Anyway, I don't store wood indoors so to stoke up my Regency i3100 during the night I have to go out to the garage. So, I bought 50 bundles and stored them in the house...plan to use them to stoke the insert during the nights that I'm too tired or lazy to go out of the house. Kind of a novelty.

Attachments

• Start.JPG
    Start.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 25
  • later.JPG
    later.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 25
I haven't tried Bio Bricks but I did buy a few Gren Heat bricks last spring. I find they work very well. This summer they were on sale for I think $4 a bundle of 20 bricks at Menards, totaling 38 lbs per bundle. From what I remember based on the cost of propane around here and efficiency of the furnace, for every $200 I spent on bricks I get the equivalent of $300 in propane.

Anyway, I don't store wood indoors so to stoke up my Regency i3100 during the night I have to go out to the garage. So, I bought 50 bundles and stored them in the house...plan to use them to stoke the insert during the nights that I'm too tired or lazy to go out of the house. Kind of a novelty.

Getting them cheap like that, pretty good for insta fire to get your good stuff burning.

Back