bio chain oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
makes since to use it around or in water. I've never messed with it, is it a soybean oil based oil?

I haven't ran the bio oil yet but I am going to try it out soon. I'll let u know how it goes.

Just curious how many use it or if you have been required to use it?

When I was working in Germany that is all one can get now. It seemed to run just fine and there were no issues that I heard about. The forst verwaltung or forestry service only use the bio bar and chain oil. Less impact on the environment.

Seems like its quite a bit more than regular bar oil. Spotted it at a local lowes store.

Last edited:
I'm using hydrotex beaver spit bar and chain oil

I have run some Stihl BioPlus in the past (particularly colder months) and I believe it is cheaper and possibly more biodegradeable than the beaver spit

I have run some Stihl BioPlus in the past (particularly colder months) and I believe it is cheaper and possibly more biodegradeable than the beaver spit

The nice part about beaver spit is u can get it in a 55 gal drum which lowers the price per gallon by a lot.......not that to many guys use that much but there are a few

The nice part about beaver spit is u can get it in a 55 gal drum which lowers the price per gallon by a lot.......not that to many guys use that much but there are a few

So how do you buy it? By the gallon or 55 gallon drum at a time?

Do some advanced title searches for "canola" and you'll find some old threads with good info on bio oil and straight canola. One guy in one of the threads was a tree pro and used only canola in his saws for 2 years with zero issues, and lots of benefits.

I'm testing out canola myself, and it is working fine for my firewood bucking needs. I REALLY like not smelling like petroleum bar oil after using my saw. Most of the toxic stink from using a chainsaw is from the bar oil, because it gets all over everything.

Do some advanced title searches for "canola" and you'll find some old threads with good info on bio oil and straight canola. One guy in one of the threads was a tree pro and used only canola in his saws for 2 years with zero issues, and lots of benefits.

I'm testing out canola myself, and it is working fine for my firewood bucking needs. I REALLY like not smelling like petroleum bar oil after using my saw. Most of the toxic stink from using a chainsaw is from the bar oil, because it gets all over everything.

I have no dought canola oil will work but canola oil doesn't have good wear properties compared to bio chain oil

Canola Good

Canola or rape seed based. I use Wesson canola oil. Works great, seems cooler and cleaner. Turn your adjuster down about halfway. Canola has good affinity with metal parts needing lubrication. Many industrial applications for it's use as a lubricant. Stay away from other cooking oils. Canola works well. After running canola, I run petroleum based bar oil through the saws before they sit for any extended time. My Dolmar PS401 and my new ECHO CS310 don't have adjustable oilers so they haven't tasted canola but I may run some in them soon and see if it flows too much. I recommend it. Pass it on. TreeMachine educated me on this, years ago.

Last edited:
The prof loggers here in the part of France where I live are required to use bio bar oil, I service the saws & sharpen chains for a Father + 2 sons team. For the past 4 years they have used Arborol [ Oregon mix with water ] they have had no problems with it in this time as regards wear of bar/chain etc I have no knowledge if it would be a problem if the saw was left standing for any length of time[saws are used 6 days per week] but the times I`ve used it, if the saw was to stand I just tipped it out & have had no problems i find that it keeps the bar cooler in longer WOT cuts. I also have no idea regarding the value for money against other products, as they have a deal with the Oregon Wholesaler re [ bars, chains, oils etc] but whatever price you pay it makes 4 times the amount when mixed.

Just curious how many use it or if you have been required to use it?

I ran out of bar oil a couple of weeks ago. I had heard of people using canola so out of curiousity I kept 4ltrs of the stuff when I drained my chip frier. IT felt a bit "funny" trying it but as it was there I thought theres only one way to find out. Well to be honest my chain and bar have never looked so clean, did not notice any better or worse lubricating, everything was the same but with a better smell and easier to wipe off your hands. Hope this helps.....

Back