Birds nests

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PStuffel

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a hack berry to drop this weekend. Straight forward, let it fall. My issue is that it has 2 doves nests in it and both have chicks in them. Just wondering if anyone has had any luck moving nests. I can easily climb up and place them in the tree next to it.

I have a hack berry to drop this weekend. Straight forward, let it fall. My issue is that it has 2 doves nests in it and both have chicks in them. Just wondering if anyone has had any luck moving nests. I can easily climb up and place them in the tree next to it.

I have moved some but never knew it was a success or not!
I also have just cut and felt the numbers don't decline too bad
from the occasional dropping of a nest. If it was a Ivory billed
wood pecker I would be more appreciative. Mean ole ropen
squirrel and bird murderer right? Oh well:rolleyes:

I don't know about doves, but do have a pretty neat story to tell.

In 2001 I worked in Kentucky for 4 months, I ride atv's, and met some guys up there riding one day. Long story short, the 5 of us became good friends. After I came back to Louisiana, they came down 1 weekend and brought their wheelers for us to go riding. I got out the 300ex and we went riding. About 2 hours into the ride we pulled up on the top of a sand hill and killed our atv's. I heard a faint chirping.......kept hearing it. Got to looking and there was a wren's nest sitting in the front hood part of my atv. We had been riding rough too, crossing logs, riding wheelies, small jumps, etc. I was shocked the baby birds were still there. My buddies told me to pull them out and kill them or something since there was no way the mother would take them back. I said no, rode home, partially disassembled my 300ex so I could get at the nest, took the nest and baby birds and put them in a large folgers coffee can laying on its side, about 5 feet from where my atv normally is parked. Went in the house and within an hour the mother had found them and was going back and forth feeding them. I was really surprised.

But like I said, have no clue with the doves as I am sure all birds do not react like the wrens did.

Do you have any other options? It does not take but a couple weeks for most birds to go from hatching to flying. These may be real close to leaving the nest.

Waylan

I climbed 40ft out the top of a white pine with a robin's nest in one hand. I found a good spot in a protected shrub but the mother never came back to feed them and they were dead the next day.
Phil

Well the home owner doesn't give two hoots in a holler about the birds. The moma is poopin all over her nice new forester in the drive way and the tree is right up against the concrete so she has to pull into the grass a little to open her doors. I did search the old posts about this subject. I think I will just move the nests and hope for the best.
Its kinda funny to think that I have no problem unloading my shotgun on these birds in my buddies pastures. They sure are tasty. But when I see those cute little fuzzy guys in the nest I go all googoo. So be it.

I am the same way.........hunt, kill deer, squirrel, etc., but try to save the life of a young, wounded (not by me) or sick one.

I think what helped the mama wren find her babies was all the chirping they were doing. If they had been quiet I don't think she would have ever found them.

If possible let us know how it turns out.

Waylan

If you are concerned about eggs, I don't think there should be any. Otherwise they will build a knew one. I don't think if you use it they will live in it any more

I am the same way.........hunt, kill deer, squirrel, etc., but try to save the life of a young, wounded (not by me) or sick one.

Waylan

Same here, we tried to raise some flying squirrels that we found in a maple we cut down in May. They had there eyes open but they were still a little too young.

Would have regretted it if we hadn't tried at least.

Can't find the pictures I took with my phone...:mad:

I think what helped the mama wren find her babies was all the chirping they were doing. If they had been quiet I don't think she would have ever found them.

If possible let us know how it turns out.

Waylan

+1
I'm a hardcore hunter, most species/most seasons, but that doesn't mean I enjoy killing babies... I'd say move the nest, at least then they stand a chance.

Moved both nests this morning and took down the tree. Both adult doves never moved more than ten feet away and watched the whole thing go down. They were none to pleased that I was rearranging there lives but they both moved right back onto the nests. Guess I will be able to sleep tonight!
:clap:

Same here, we tried to raise some flying squirrels that we found in a maple we cut down in May. They had there eyes open but they were still a little too young.

Would have regretted it if we hadn't tried at least.

Can't find the pictures I took with my phone...:mad:

my partner was cutting down a tree out of the bucket ,,came down to refuel ,, said there was a bird dive bombing him.. he dropped a peice, that had three flying squirels babies in it.. he came down and was going to move them.. i stopped him, and told him to take ten ,,the dive bombing bird, was the mother squirel .. she came back and carried them all away...

most of our clientel are repeat customers,,, so .. if your run into an active birds nest,,, we just tell them we'll be back in a few weeks... they're into that... not a big deal..

my partner was cutting down a tree out of the bucket ,,came down to refuel ,, said there was a bird dive bombing him.. he dropped a peice, that had three flying squirels babies in it.. he came down and was going to move them.. i stopped him, and told him to take ten ,,the dive bombing bird, was the mother squirel .. she came back and carried them all away...

We probably would have done the same except we didn't see them untill they rolled out of the hollow end of a chunk of tree when it hit the ground. I don't think we ever saw the mother.

We did find a pretty informative guide on caring for orphaned squirrels on a state website (can't remember which state).

My partners and I are the same way about hunting as much as we can, but try to take care of orphaned animals wether it our fault or not.

Pstuffel, glad to hear moving the nest worked out for you and the birds. :D

I found two baby coons in a hollow tree that I was removing one time and took them to a national forest rehab center. I have come across all kinds of critters and birds while doing tree work and most times it doesn't have the happy ending as the baby coons did. About a month ago I was trimming a large limb off an oak. I had made an undercut then top cut about 6" from the spar to keep the limb from splitting back to the spar. When I cut the remaining 6" of the limb (which was hollow) and it hit the ground my guys said a squirrel jumped out of the stub and took off. I never saw the squirrel but I can hardly believe that I didn't hit him with the saw as small as the piece was he was scrunched up in. Talk about a Houdini act. I also had a distressed Robin flying around a tree I had just trimmed about 2 weeks ago. While doing the clean up I found a nest and looked around but found no eggs or chicks. Hope they weren't chipper bait. :eek:

You tend to find the damndest things in hollow logs. I took down a few hazard trees for the city of austin along a local hike and bike trail a few years back and scored an unopened bottle of jack daniels. Someone had placed it in a rotten crotch and it fell to far in to get it back. I have also had a few copper head incidents in N. GA cutting firewood that were a little to close for comfort. I actually carried one in a hollow round about 50 ft. to my truck and didnt see him till I threw the log in the bed. Damn lucky on that one!

Well I have gots to tell ya fawns and yearling are ummm ummmmmm good:laugh:

I gotta agree with ya there... Since my DMU went to Earn-a-buck I usually keep my eyes open for a couple of yearlings during the early season. Expands my options during the regular season, and MAN are they tender.:clap:

We probably would have done the same except we didn't see them untill they rolled out of the hollow end of a chunk of tree when it hit the ground. I don't think we ever saw the mother.

We did find a pretty informative guide on caring for orphaned squirrels on a state website (can't remember which state).

My partners and I are the same way about hunting as much as we can, but try to take care of orphaned animals wether it our fault or not.

Pstuffel, glad to hear moving the nest worked out for you and the birds. :D

oh no... they took a 25-30 ft ride down in a chunk of wood ,, spilled out.... his diving bird was the mother....she came and got them,, one by one...

few years ago,,, knock a tree over,, the misses is there...well , here lies a baby gray... now she's flipping out , ( i mean crying because the thing is screeching ).. tell her to walk away ,, 10 minutes later , the mother came back and took it away...

i have no use for grays!! (rats with fuzzy tails ) but, we don't have a lot of
the fliers around here., so they get a pass.. active bird nests,, i tell the customer, we'll be back.. no big deal

I gotta agree with ya there... Since my DMU went to Earn-a-buck I usually keep my eyes open for a couple of yearlings during the early season. Expands my options during the regular season, and MAN are they tender.:clap:

thats the rule up here,,, the little ones taste better... but you can't do it in front of a customer,,, unless they take the first shot and miss.....

oh no... they took a 25-30 ft ride down in a chunk of wood ,, spilled out.... his diving bird was the mother....she came and got them,, one by one...

few years ago,,, knock a tree over,, the misses is there...well , here lies a baby gray... now she's flipping out , ( i mean crying because the thing is screeching ).. tell her to walk away ,, 10 minutes later , the mother came back and took it away...

i have no use for grays!! (rats with fuzzy tails ) but, we don't have a lot of
the fliers around here., so they get a pass.. active bird nests,, i tell the customer, we'll be back.. no big deal

My bad, I misread that the babies were still up in the tree. How did the mother retrieve them? Did she have to climb to get flying again?

I have never seen one take off before, since they're nocturnal. Would have been interesting to see.

Here is that pic from my phone that I was whining about.

My bad, I misread that the babies were still up in the tree. How did the mother retrieve them? Did she have to climb to get flying again?

I have never seen one take off before, since they're nocturnal. Would have been interesting to see.

Here is that pic from my phone that I was whining about.

they got dumped out of the log , before i stopped the guy...mom swooped down after we took ten , and left them alone...carried the first one in her mouth across the ground to another tree ... climbed up the tree, set the baby ,, swooped down again . and repeated it for the other two..

she came down from at least 30 feet up,, each time...

Latest posts

Back