Bit OT and early advise needed on lawn tractor purchase.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aandabooks

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Since this and the chainsaw forum is where I spend my time here on AS and you guys are a wealth of knowledge on many homeowner/maintenance issues, I come to you for some needed advice. Here are the conditions:

About .6 acres and a neighbors regular lot that I mow on a weekly basis. Occasional trip to my land to do a little mowing around the wood processing area. Normal things in the yard to mow around. I've had a Craftsman DYT3000? for the past 8 years and it has been a good tractor but the deck has flexed on the left side. Completely rebuilt the spindle from new parts last year and three mowings in, it was already destroying itself. Aluminum housing with non-pressed bearings. Here's what I'm looking for in a new tractor in no particular order of importance:

1. Minimum 42" deck
2. Under $2000
3. Reliable motor-I've had the B&S Intek in my Craftsman and has been good.
4. Auto trans might be nice to try.
5. Good size wheels and tires.

I've been looking at Husky's from Sears and some of the JD models so far. What would be your recommendation fitting what I'm looking for?

I tend to buy the $800 model from whatever mfg. is available at lowes/home depot. I can usually get a decent 4 years or more out of them, then I replace the machine. I mow a lot of rough stuff with these so they get beat to a pulp. I have had the cheapos last as many as 6 years. I always end up putting heavier blades on and adding tubes to the tires (they get slashed by small cedar stumps etc.)

I just feel better about using the cheaper equipment because I know it will get destroyed. My worst lifespan was just over 2 seasons.

i bought a poulan pro 26hp, 48" deck garden tractor about 7 years ago. i cut almost 2 acres and have done several other lawns as well. it has hydro drive and i've also used it to haul logs, lots of wood and other things.

i put a 2" ball on the back so i can move trailers around including a 16 foot landscape trailer.

never given me a problem at all.

Staying within those requirements, prolly agree with Cub Cadet, it is MTD's top of the line. You might see what you can get into at a JD dealer.
I run a Bad Boy ZTR and a big Deere ZTR, but they are way more mower than you'll ever need. I've got a friend that has a Cub Cadet and has had excellent luck, another one has a Husky mower and the deck on it is a piece of crap, I've burned a bunch of mig wire patching it up.

Husky,15 HP V-twin Kawaski,hydrostatic drive 42 inch float deck.Purchased new 8 years ago and have done nothing but change oil and filter.I mow just over a acre on a weekly basis..

Simplicity

Best homeowner deck going. Even their base machines have the full length deck roller. Prevents scalping and gives you that nice striped look. They do a great job bagging even without a blower. The entire bagger takes less than 2 minutes literally to either put on or take off.

Most of the machines in that price range are going to use either a Briggs or a Kohler, so I would concentrate on the deck, deck mount,and overall construction. Look at service access. Where is the oil filter, drain plug, spark plugs, and gas filter? Some of the cheap machines require removing the deck and half the sheet metal so you can do the annual tune up.

I had a Simplicity 18 HP base tractors for about 8 years with no issues. I sold it to a co-worker when I purchased a zero turn 4 years ago. He's still running it with no problems.

Take Care

I know you posted on a garden tractor but for mowing only about a half acre I would go for a 48" ZTR walk behind. The cheeper belt drivin machines will stay in budget. If walking is a problem then get a sulky. It will last you for many yrs and will cut mowing time in half or half again. Or find a good used Mid Mount Hydro ZTR and never need to buy another mower again.

id say these days,if you get a 2000.00 mower to last 4 years thats good.in the end you are left w/scrap iron. look at the other end of the spectrum. buy a quality product from cub,simplicity,or deere. spend 6000.00-8000.00,get a good warranty,and resale. you could run one of those mowers for 15-20 yrs.(if cared for),and still sell it for 1500.00-2000.00. this would be a better investment,plus nice piece of equipment,not a disposable pos. just my opinion

I know you posted on a garden tractor but for mowing only about a half acre I would go for a 48" ZTR walk behind. The cheeper belt drivin machines will stay in budget. If walking is a problem then get a sulky. It will last you for many yrs and will cut mowing time in half or half again. Or find a good used Mid Mount Hydro ZTR and never need to buy another mower again.

:agree2: I cut grass & landscaped for 20 + years, & would never go back to a lawn tractor. Even a good used machine or dealer demo is head & shoulders above a tractor.

Simplicity

Best homeowner deck going. Even their base machines have the full length deck roller. Prevents scalping and gives you that nice striped look. They do a great job bagging even without a blower. The entire bagger takes less than 2 minutes literally to either put on or take off.

Most of the machines in that price range are going to use either a Briggs or a Kohler, so I would concentrate on the deck, deck mount,and overall construction. Look at service access. Where is the oil filter, drain plug, spark plugs, and gas filter? Some of the cheap machines require removing the deck and half the sheet metal so you can do the annual tune up.

I had a Simplicity 18 HP base tractors for about 8 years with no issues. I sold it to a co-worker when I purchased a zero turn 4 years ago. He's still running it with no problems.

Take Care

:agree2:

You could probably get by with the base Regent model. They do have a great cut and are quality built. A little more than you want to spend but worth the money. I have two of them.

2005 Conquest on the left, 1990 12.5 LTH on the right.

Fieldsedge.jpg

Kevin

I would stay away from the Kohler Courage engine. They have lots of problems and really need to be babied. The Command is the good Kohler, but it will unlikely be in a new machine in your price range. I don't think any mfg. still puts the Command in any non commercial units nowdays.

i have a 50" cub rider with the 22 hp courage engine although i only have 60 hours on it so far i am very happy. i think i give 2k for the mower last spring

Your $2000 price limit won't let you look at much out there that will last, although you could find a good used simplicity or wheel horse or the like for that, and might be better ahead than buying a new, cheaper machine. I bought my wheel horse 416-8 new back in 1985. I've used it to mow and move snow for 25 years now. Besides my 2 acre yard, I even used it to mow a 12 acre horse pasture for a couple of years before I got a tractor with a brush hog. We also have a long driveway that I blow snow off of with it. I just found a new used snow blower attachment for it on craigslist cause I managed to beat the old blower attachment (which I also bought used about 20 years ago) to death with my gravel driveway. The 16 hp Kohler still doesn't burn any oil, and repairs other than normal maintenance have been minor. When I bought it new, I thought the price was excessive, but I spent less on it over 25 years than I would have spent on the several cheaper machines that would have had to replace it if I went that route. It doesn't owe me a dime at this point, and if it died tomorrow I'd still be happy with my purchase. Just my 2 cents...you get what you pay for.

Last edited:
It may be a bit bigger than what you're looking for, but I bought a used (300 hrs) JD 345 5 years ago at an estate auction and it's still going strong. IIRC I paid $1,300.00 for it with a 54" deck, 42" snowthrower, wheel chains, wheel weights and 4 suitcase weights. The auction was during the week, not on a weekend and the forcast called for rain that day. I got lucky. It was the older model that had the 18 hp Kawasaki motor in it. 2 years ago it broke the plastic timing gear, but other than that (well it needs a new hood this year) I haven't had any problems with it.

I picked up a 42" hydraulic JD rototiller for it off of e-bay a year after I bought the tractor and it's tilled a LOT of ground.

I have a 10 year old Sears with a 18hp Kohler and hydro. Never again. The Kohler started smoking after 2 years. Bad valve guides. The hydro won't pull a spring tine dethatcher for 1/2 hour without whining. Next I will buy a new or used Deere GARDEN tractor, not a lawn tractor. Like someone else wrote, buy quality and you'll be able to do all you want and have reliability.

It may be a bit bigger than what you're looking for, but I bought a used (300 hrs) JD 345 5 years ago at an estate auction and it's still going strong. IIRC I paid $1,300.00 for it with a 54" deck, 42" snowthrower, wheel chains, wheel weights and 4 suitcase weights. The auction was during the week, not on a weekend and the forcast called for rain that day. I got lucky. It was the older model that had the 18 hp Kawasaki motor in it. 2 years ago it broke the plastic timing gear, but other than that (well it needs a new hood this year) I haven't had any problems with it.

I picked up a 42" hydraulic JD rototiller for it off of e-bay a year after I bought the tractor and it's tilled a LOT of ground.

Now you're talking. You got a good deal.

Not to be a PITA or smartass, but I do not understand the disposable 1k dollar lawn mower concept.

If ya got a postage stamp lawn and don't wish to walk I an see it.

Half an acre justifys a tractor with a belly mower.

Like this old gal.

attachment.php

A little TLC and they will last for another 50 years. Hell, a complete restoration will only run a guy about 1200 bucks.
The newer fully floating belly mowers cut better than the stamped metal junk ever did.

Pull a couple of pins and the things do a decent job of skidding smaller timber and firewood, and pushing snow ain't a problem.

Just another option for ya.
Ya need a small tractor.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Latest posts

Back