Bit saws with little bars?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fields_mj

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I've heard that the guys in the PNW often run very short bars (20") on rather large saws (90+cc). What's the reason for this? With a 24" bar on my 064, I can lean and push and pull all I want and I can't even come close to slowing a 25" bar down. I'm just curious what the advantage would be to having an 066 with a 20" bar as opposed to a 046? I would think that the lighter weight head on the 046 would be better, and still have more than enough power to pull a 20" bar without even knowing its there.

Just curious,
Mark

I always seen them in pictures, videos and such with big bars. Usually 28-36" on thier bigger saws.

You may be thinking about those Swedish guys. They run really short bars on all thier saws.

I think You've got it backwards, most PNW guys run long bars, like a 28" on a 372 or 044, and a 32" or 36" on a 288, 390, or 066. I've always associated short bars on bigger saws with eastern hardwood cutters.

I always seen them in pictures, videos and such with big bars. Usually 28-36" on thier bigger saws.

You may be thinking about those Swedish guys. They run really short bars on all thier saws.

Oi, I'm norwegian thank you very much!
And uh... 18 inch bar isn't THAT small! :blush:

The guys I used to work with and most of the other crews I have seen on the East coast use 20-25" on 460's and 372's. 660's and 390's usually run 25-28". Usually keep a 36" bar in the truck for emergencys.

We just have a broad range of wood here. From soft pine to hard oak. Everything in between. It's just different here, but I am willing to bet it gets just as rough here too.

I use my 372XPW for climbing a lot in bigger wood. I keep an 18 inch bar on it most of the time. I also insisted they take off the full rap handle before I bought it and put the dawgs off my 365 parts saw on it. I took the big dawgs off for extra room for the 18 inch bar. the big dawgs went somewhere on the trading post☺

I must have had it backwards. I just couldn't come up with a reason to put a 20" bar on a 066/660, at least not if you are cutting lumber. I can see where an 18" or 20" bar might be better for noodling, but that's about it.

I must have just been confused. Not the first time, and probably not the last.

A lot of the loggers in my area run a 460 or 660 with a 20" bar and full skip chain. Sometimes they'll run a 24" bar on a 660.

No most people up here run bars to big for their saw... a buddy of mine runs a 28" on a 032 stihl :monkey:

What are "little" bars?

attachment.php

attachment.php

Gary

Oi, I'm norwegian thank you very much!
And uh... 18 inch bar isn't THAT small! :blush:

It is a bit small on a 70cc saw! :cheers:

But then, the MS660 comes standard with a 15" one here! :biggrinbounce2::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
East Coast logger set up MS880 21" .404 chain 8 tooth sprocket

In reality most local guys run 20" bars on 441's and 460's and 24" bars on 660's. Most commercial cutters are cutting Walnut for cabinets, or hardwood for firewood. and no one has ever seen full wrap handles
DSCN1470-1.jpg

Last edited:
Back