black locust hairy climbs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvthetrobag

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
just got done a tall skinny locust removal it was a leaner and these thing are shallow rooted thank god i was able to lower out of another tree. any one out there experienced in taken these down.dont look forward to anymore.

I've never been as worried about the roots as I have been about all the cavities I have climbed up past. it is darn strong wood
just did one last month. Locust was about 24" dbh and over 96" dbh if you counted the boston ivy. ivy vines 3" in diameter. hellaous to spike up and 90% of the time was cutting my way threw the ivy

Ivy trees=Big PITA

I've never been as worried about the roots as I have been about all the cavities I have climbed up past. it is darn strong wood
just did one last month. Locust was about 24" dbh and over 96" dbh if you counted the boston ivy. ivy vines 3" in diameter. hellaous to spike up and 90% of the time was cutting my way threw the ivy

I never look forward to working Ivy trees, particularly ones where the tree itself is dead, and you suspect the only thing keeping it upright is the Ivy!

Put a line in it and drop it, call in a crane or raise the price enough to take your time doing it very, very carefully!

Hate them with good reason!

jomoco

Black Locust

My concerns are thickness and the condition of the bark. I've seen bark that is 2" thick and flaking off the tree in 6' lengths. You don't want to be gaffed into bark only. Swinging in from another tree is the way to go.
Nice firewood tho.

I am confused. What I know as black locust is extremely well rooted. It is very difficult to get them over with a dozier. They usually break first even though they are extremely strong.
They are also very rot resistant. The heartwood will last for decades with ground contact in the SE USA.
The problem I have had with them is, razor sharp thorns that cut, stab and break off in me and fester every where they break the skin. And the wood is so hard that the saw just wants to chatter.

I am confused. What I know as black locust is extremely well rooted. It is very difficult to get them over with a dozier. They usually break first even though they are extremely strong.
They are also very rot resistant. The heartwood will last for decades with ground contact in the SE USA.
The problem I have had with them is, razor sharp thorns that cut, stab and break off in me and fester every where they break the skin. And the wood is so hard that the saw just wants to chatter.

The roots up here are very well rooted but shallow and broad, don't seem to have a tap root. I have seen them blown over.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back