Black Walnut and Mystery Oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDB777

I find unique timber and cut it up
Reaction score
As with most Saturdays, I sharpened the chainsaws ripping chain and loaded everything in the back of the truck. Stopped at the gas station and got raped, 13gals at $44(and some change...not quite the change everyone voted for) in the truck and $6.55 in the gas can for the saw! Ouch!!!

Got to the cutting area, unloaded the truck and the first piece I got into was this oak with some bark that had been compressed into the crotch.

First slab to come off:
Somekindofoak02.jpg

The last slab I got from this piece:
Somekindofoak03.jpg

Close up!
Somekindofoak01.jpg

Onto the Black Walnut! There was two logs, bucked the first one into 5' long sections...yeah I'm old and can't lift those 3" thick slabs! Saw was just eating some wood!!!

Slabs from today, no order to them...just great photo's of some outstanding grain!!! Enjoy!

Great looking slab
BlackWalnut01.jpg

Close up of above
BlackWalnut01-1closeup.jpg

Another
BlackWalnut02.jpg

BlackWalnut03.jpg

BlackWalnut04.jpg

Okay, I guess ya'll get it....there was a total of 12 slabs of walnut. They all look pretty much the same as these! And the other log is still there. The truck was loaded with roughly 1,100lbs of wood slabs! I'll go get that other one next week....too sore right now. And for that 2 gallons of gas/oil mix? It's gone.

Scott

Did have one mishap....the Alaskan 777 mill, well she needs a little welding. The pin that is welded in the tube that the bar clamps with has a broken weld. Probably the reason the slabs have the uneven finish to 'em?

Got to get that fixed, unless someone has a better idea of what to do to keep this from happening again?!?!?

Scott

Purty wood. :clap:

Please update your profile to show your location. Where ever you are, I'm way jealous of your hardwoods. :msp_drool:

Done!!

Can't take credit for the wood XXX.....the MAN upstairs is responsible. HE just showed me the best way to cut it!!

Thanks!!
Scott

Anyone have an opinion on which oak this would be?

No bark and no leaves.....sorry.
Central Arkansas harvested timber.

Scott

wow man never seen such a curly figure on oak ever

really awesome you've been really lucky. imagine that someone would that as firewood...

White Oak . ^5 on the nicely figured slabs !!

That's what I was think too...but it didn't smell like it? Then again, it had been sitting for awhile...maybe it lost the smell, or never had it?

Just about all the black walnut will be sold as blanks of some kind. If it weren't for the extreme cost of shipping, I sure most of it would have already sold as slabs....but weight and dimensions equals raped at the shipper!

Scott

:msp_love: Real nice slabs.. My wife told me she would love those as counter tops... :msp_sneaky: this is going to cost me...

Latest posts

Back