Black Walnut trees for removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, wasn't referring to my first post, but since you are very focused on this topic, I'm guessing you've had a lot of problems with people asking you to remove unwanted trees from their yard without compensation. Would be especially annoying of the trees were dead or dying. BTW, we have an arborist coming next month to remove a dead red Norway maple from our front yard before winter and he's being well compensated for his work, especially since it's close to the house. However, he doesn't use black walnut wood and he suggested we post around to find someone who might be interested.
Didn't miss your first post, you wanted someone to remove them for free... or pay you to do it...

Well, wasn't referring to my first post, but since you are very focused on this topic, I'm guessing you've had a lot of problems with people asking you to remove unwanted trees from their yard without compensation. Would be especially annoying of the trees were dead or dying. BTW, we have an arborist coming next month to remove a dead red Norway maple from our front yard before winter and he's being well compensated for his work, especially since it's close to the house. However, he doesn't use black walnut wood and he suggested we post around to find someone who might be interested.
Dont think you will find anyone on this site that would fell trees on others property for no compensation .

Dont think you will find anyone on this site that would fell trees on others property for no compensation .
Well, thanks for the info about the loggers, anyway. Arborist also suggested a group north of us that works with woodworking small business owners. And thanks for being polite in your responses - I appreciate it the civility!

@singinwoodwackr : "In case we set your ugly house on fire..." 😄

We are looking to sell them or just swap the wood for free removal. Metal such as nails in them can affect the quality of the wood.
Yeah, I think this is the post that confirmed member's suspicions, it's a bit hard to get past that sometimes given how dangerous the work is, plus even the smallest piece of equipment is pretty expensive.

The Average Joe can go to the big-box store and pick up a consumer-grade saw and a few tools and drop a tree, which isn't a problem unless something goes horribly wrong and there's a million-dollar-plus hospital bill that exceeds what insurance wants to cover and someone's life hangs in the balance. Sadly it's a dangerous job, and as much as people love doing it there's a lot of risk which is why "tree guys" buy expensive equipment they can rely on. Joints also get burned out at a "young" age which you probably know from being around farmers (or perhaps working on a farm).

As far as metal goes, sometimes odd things happen like someone shooting at a tree 20 years ago and the homeowner not knowing for whatever reason, but how and why doesn't matter when you cut into it. Nails from "Posted" and "No Trespassing" signs aren't uncommon, I think someone recently found a Civil War rifle in one--the point being honest mistakes happen and the results can be pretty costly.

You might just want to throw that get-together for the neighbors and fell the trees, limb them out, and hope someone will buck and cart away the main parts for you, depending on how hard the wood is to get to.

Black Walnut does make beautiful furniture, but it's a really wet wood and drying it without it cracking is...a process. Hopefully someone can use it and make something great out of it, it is beautiful wood.

80" circumference = about 25" diameter. Subtract 3 - 4" for sapwood = 21 - 22" heartwood. How far to the first branch?
I'll have to check to verify. I estimate more than 8 feet on all of them - far beyond what I can reach. I'll try to check tomorrow night - too dark now

These trees sound interesting and potentially useful to the right person, and I’m sure some cool stuff could be made out of them. Just gotta find a way to connect with that person.

I know I have cut up and burned lots of stuff over the years that could have been something beautiful. It still bugs me sometimes. So I get where your heart is on this.

Thank you! We're generally opposed to taking down healthy live trees. However, these black walnuts have become incredible squirrel bait to the point of grey squirrels trying to break into the house around gutter's etc. We've trapped more than a dozen grey squirrels over the past several years and given them a free ride out to a rural area with oak stands and a stream. However, they just keep reproducing (we need more redtail hawks!). In addition, my 68-yr-old back had a few too many injuries when I was young (nothing like hoisting hay bales and feed sacks for disk damage!) to tolerate bagging up the black walnuts and all the sticks attached to the leaves - and both are very incompatible with a mulching lawn mower!

It would be great if someone could repurpose the trees for something beyond ashes. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure our red Norway Maple by the house is dead from a blight and rotting from the inside out. It was over 70 years old - beautiful tree. Another green Norway in the back yard is just starting to get blight and it would be good if someone could use the wood before more damage occurs. I'm gonna miss that tree - it was our best climbing tree as kids. Too many nonnative pests killing trees in this area....

Neighbor's landlord (they're just renting the house) to my south about 50 feet had a decent Black Walnut removed on May 6th.Owner of small tree service (3 man crew including the main guy) dont burn wood himself or even sell it,unlike most small-medium sized tree companies round here.I asked for the wood,he said ''sure,no problem..." even helped me,along with his 2 employees bring the tops & branches (3" to 12" diameter to my backyard with their 2 wheel dolly,I used mine also,had it 32 years,wouldnt be without it,works better than a wheelbarrow for me most of the time..

The main log was roughly 11.5' before it branched out - he cut it in two,,within a few days I started milling it where it sat with my Granberg Alaskan mill. I carried the lumber over here 1 plank at a time,then stacked/stickered them for 3 yrs air drying. Ended up with seven planks 1 7/8" thick x 63" long,14" to 20" wide for the first batch,then seven more planks 2.25" X 14" to 25" wide x 73" long.Changed the setting on the mill slightly for the 2nd group.
If it was my tree,I'd have left if alone,since it was healthy & was in no danger of falling on their house or anything else.
But being a woodworker,cabinet/furniture maker,woodturner for 40 some years now,plus burning wood for supplemental heat for 40 years also,I'm not one to turn down such a unexpected ''gift'' - especially one so close to home.

Spent the next 5 weeks off & on milling the logs into the 14 heavy planks,plus doing other things like raking their yard each day when I was done.When I was younger I'd have been done with everything in 3-4 days tops,instead of spreading it out over 5 weeks,if the forecast was 90 or above that day I didnt do anything,and otherwise I'd start by 8AM,quit for the day around noon,with the strong sun right over my head.
Everyone was pleased,especially me,once things were all done.I promised the neighbor that I wouldnt let the 2 logs sit in their backyard all summer,and I kept my word. Ended up with a p/u load of firewood from the smaller branches & tops,probably 50-60 board feet of worth of larger short logs that will be bowl blanks,carving blocks maybe & short slabs 12-15" wide x 36" long,plus 300 some board feet of the ''longer'' regular thick lumber . Not a bad haul,wasnt easy and it took probably 7-8 days total just for the millingDSC02025.JPG but well worth the effort.You'll notice that the bigger log had its bark peeled off -Neighbor's 2 kids did that with an old claw hammer haha the evening DSC01810.JPGbefore I started milling - I didnt want the sun/heat to start it cracking,I covered it up with a piece of plywood.I got right on it after that just in caseDSC01291.JPGDSC01047.JPGDSC01053.JPG

DSC01294.JPGDSC00664.JPGDSC00672.JPG

Cool story - nice to hear people working cooperatively and having a good outcome! Sounds like you did well!

Well, aside from the 5 weeks part.... that's why I stopped doing any log or firewood deals. I don't know how many times I would have people looking for free wood, and at first I would be glad to do it, even have my crew buck it and stack it, tell the homeowner someone will be by Saturday to pick it up... and then the guys brother in law gets a hang nail or something and I have to send my guys over Monday to get it to avoid a black eye with the customer. My policy was you are welcome to come load your truck or trailer while we are doing the job, but when we are done the place is clean to our standards, no exceptions.

Back