Black Walnut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winland

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A friend of my had a Black Walnut tree come down during a storm this past summer.
He bucked it up and told me to come get it.

There is a cord ++

I have not tried splitting any of it yet.
Wondering if I will need my splitter or if the Fiskars will do the job easily?
Should I split it now (green) or wait till next spring to let it season a bit?

attachment.php

Attachments

• walnut1.jpg
    walnut1.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 201
It can tend to develop good knots then it splits kinda funky. But I love splitting Black Walnut with my X27. I would split it now so it can season for next year!

What ya waiting for, give it a whack! I only did a branch or two that fell down off a big almost dead one by the creek. I have the trees cleared outta the way it is leaning and one day it'll fall. I ain't gonna fall it, hollow, rotten and fulla bees. Very bad footing access as well, and it isn't an emergency so I pass on it. I'll wait until moms nature does it and just take the branches then.

Black walnut splits great with the Fiskars, nice straight grain.:msp_thumbup:

Don't let the "You should have made furniture, cabinets, boards, bowls, gunstocks, etc blah blah blah" crowd get ya down.

My days hand splitting are done (arthritis in the shoulders), but it splits nice on a splitter. In my case, I have found that splitting it and letting it sit for over a year makes it a lot nicer to burn.

It is going to be a beautiful, sunny, mid-60's day today.
Think I will wake up the X27 and see what that black walnut looks like on the inside.

Chuck

Get er split now. And if I were you. Let it set 2 yrs before burning. That stuff takes a while to dry as the grain is so tight. But it does split pretty easily.

it splits nice and the smell is great too. when split green, the wood grain is awesome...kinda with a gold sheen to it.

as for fire wood....i'm not crazy about it, you should mix it with other wood.

i ended up with tons of it, maybe too much.

Latest posts

Back