blow overs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ropensaddle

Feel Lucky
Reaction score
I had a lady that had a weeping willow blow over that wanted to save it. I told he we would try and stood it back in the hole and tried to do the job to ansi specs but here is what I found two full service hardware stores later and daylight ending soon. I told the lady we would make sure we could stand it back up before buying guying materials to limit her costs in case the lifting process did not go good. I finally got it up with my winch after snapping a rope twice muddy ground limited me on getting in close so tried to use rope and ended up having to build a bridge. That part over and tree stood up after cutting a little weight off. I told customer I am going to get parts don't let anyone near the tree. I went to two good stores cable rated 1400 lbs could not find dead end but found thimbles so decided I would weive loops and thimble and clamp with cable clamps to hold loop tight to thimble.The only real problem the worries me is they only had aluminum turn buckles,I bought the largest they sold but are rated 350 lbs. I ended up using mobile home anchors as no trees were available and guyed it from 3 directions.I know the specs say the turnbuckles should be rated as strong as the cables but had no choice in materials. This tree is only 12" dbh but the lady did not want me to prune much off to thin for wind sail effect.I now am wandering if the system is going to be strong enough but its been four days and a bad storm and windy every since and I told her to call if anything looked funny! I told her I would have to inspect it
twice a year and it may need to be up 2 to 3 depending on its root performance. This is the first time I have had a call for this, most people just want you to clean it up but it was cool to attempt saving the tree. Anyway just wanted some input on the system should I just redo the turnbuckles or will they be strong enough?

Last edited:
Well update we had a severe storm roll through and I called the customer
she said she watched the tree from her house it was blowing limbs out of
other trees nearby but the willow did not budge. I went back over last night
before dark and checked hardware,tree had already settled back into hole
and no signs of stress leaf good color no wilting and even some new shoots
starting to grow on the side some weight had been taken off. I don't want
to call it success yet but looks promising that the tree will have a resonable
life.

That's pretty cool Rope. I have never had to do that, but sounds like a fun challenge, definitely rewarding when you can pull the anchors and she takes off by herself again.

Good job Rope!! Nice to save em for a change!!

LXT..........

Safety cable the turnbuckles. Keeps them from backing out and catches the load in case of failure.

Great work , transplanting that one back into it's own hole.

Safety cable the turnbuckles. Keeps them from backing out and catches the load in case of failure.

Great work , transplanting that one back into it's own hole.

Update the job will bring me much work it has survived two hurricanes
since the replant and I went by the other day and its looking very good!

Latest posts

Back