Blowdown and Earthquake

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You PNW guys have all the fun!

We just write it up that way to make ya' jealous.:biggrinbounce2:

Truth is, around here you have to make what you're dealt fun or it will get pretty gloomy real fast. People from California move up here and there is so little sunlight they go nuts and shoot themselves.

Mr. HE:cool:

Not all of California is sunny.
I gotta admit, Seattle winters are no fun, it can be cold, there can be snow, it can take a week to get an inch of rain, with no let up.

We get more drizzle than Seattle. Also more snow. There is no snow this morning.

Since cutting blowdown is not our usual job, there were some moments of, Ruh Roh. I found out I can still sprint and not rip my leg up. Lugging a saw up a steep cutbank to get one tree can get old. But it was a nice break from paperwork and politics.

We left one. It was a gnarly old Doug, which had fallen across the road and was hung up good in trees on the other side of the road. It would have been a soft wood version of that tree in the chainsaw forum, that the guys were trying to get down. We figured if we whacked away on it, all it would do would be to stand up and be more of a danger. We had no winch, and the backhoe got sent away to a higher priority area. People can easily drive under it.

Is the Subaru all wheel drive? I am looking around for a used Suby, prices are so low it's funny.

I had a 90s model wagon. MAN that thing would drag itself up crazy inclines. I could go places that jeep wranglers would spin without momentum. It would get high centered and seemingly extend its wheels and claw its way on up!

Is the Subaru all wheel drive? I am looking around for a used Suby, prices are so low it's funny.

The new ones are. I owned an "85" wagon. It had a 2spd transfer case. Normal front wheel drive till you engaged the transfer case. Great car. Got better mileage than my "04" Forester. I bought the Forester with a 5spd, and they came with a limited slip rearend.

Not all of California is sunny.
I gotta admit, Seattle winters are no fun, it can be cold, there can be snow, it can take a week to get an inch of rain, with no let up.

Ah, the myth of the wet Seattle. Pretty dry actually compared to the rain forest I live in.
Don't try and fool me. I've seen those happy cow commercials. Must be nice working on your tan in between trees.:rockn::D

It mists alot in Seattle. There is a reason it's called the Emerald City. It is hard for me to appreciate the place but it is nice on a sunny day when everyone takes off work to play in the sun.

Ah, the myth of the wet Seattle. Pretty dry actually compared to the rain forest I live in.
Don't try and fool me. I've seen those happy cow commercials. Must be nice working on your tan in between trees.:rockn::D

Yea Seattle aint that wet annual rainfall around 40 inches. I live 35 miles South east of seattle and we average 87" a year. You must get close to Forks 120".

Hey Patty its all white up here this mornin. You get any down there in the southern Banana belt

Yea Seattle aint that wet annual rainfall around 40 inches. I live 35 miles South east of seattle and we average 87" a year. You must get close to Forks 120".

Actually about 140, not as wet as up the valley though where it will go about 180
My address is Humptulips but I live in the Quinault valley.

About an inch of snow here.

Six inches here, of the white stuff.

Wind has picked up a little, driveway will probably have drifts three feet deep by morning.

Mr. HE:cool:

And Snowstorm

8 inches so far. The two wheel drive Chevy got me to the hill to the hill to my house. It did well on the highway, which is washboardy snow. I couldn't get over 30 mph. The 4x4 that was tailgating me turned off. My Chevy is parked at a neighbor's house and I'll have to make him some cookies.

The Subaru will live. It will get alternator number 4, which is free because number 3 was guaranteed for life, and a new catylitic (how do you spell it?) converter. Then some new belts and should be good. I had to do a brodie in that parking lot to get out. Wasn't too worried because a friend owns the place and has road building equipment all over.:clap:

Well, it looks like the power has tried to go off so I better fill up the wood box and get out the campstoves.

It is still coming down hard.

Well I hope you don't get the wind were having in Bellingham. BRRR. Blowing hard and gusting harder out of the N.E.

Good old arctic blast. Only got 3" of snow here and it might all blow your way if the wind keeps up.

Good luck with the snow down there;)

Bill

It is blowing here. Enough that my watching of the panic in Seattle is affected. The satellite dish must be getting blasted by snow blowing off the cedars.

The covered porch is getting snow on it. I do expect our power to go off. It usually does under these conditions.

The Aftermath

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

About noon here, we had a sudden snow flurry, it whipped through in ten minutes, then the Sun came out, nice enough to BBQ.

We'll come to your house for Turkey Day. Start barbecuing the turkey.

We're now supposed to hit Zero degrees tonight.

Ever put your longjohns away for the year and then can't remember where when cold weather starts up again? :cry:

Latest posts

Back