Blower efficiency

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kstill361

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My wood furnace is 25yrs old, the blower still works fine. I was just wondering if replacing the blower motor with a newer more efficient motor would be worth it at the $200 price tag. One thing for sure it would give piece of mind knowing the motor that old could go out anytime, and if I wasnt home, that could be a disaster.
So I want to know your thoughts on the efficiency and if it would save money with rising energy costs?

My wood furnace is 25yrs old, the blower still works fine. I was just wondering if replacing the blower motor with a newer more efficient motor would be worth it at the $200 price tag. One thing for sure it would give piece of mind knowing the motor that old could go out anytime, and if I wasnt home, that could be a disaster.
So I want to know your thoughts on the efficiency and if it would save money with rising energy costs?

Probably not. Chances are the new motor is not much more efficient than the one you have now. Split capacitor motors haven't changed much since they were developed in the 70's, so you're just better off running what you've got. Most motors show warning signs of when they're about to go, noise, vibration, etc. If you keep the bearings oiled its not uncommon for these motors to go 30+ years, and I have seen split phase motors going strong after 50 years.

The only motor that will really save you money is one of the permanent split magnet variable speed motors, and one of those will run you $800-$1,000 plus the controls it needs.

I work at a power plant that came online in 1979. We have just as many problems with our new equipment that is only 1.5 years old as we do with some of the original stuff. Everything is lightweight and high efficiency now. Reliability isn't any better though.

Well dang, thanks for the replies, I was hoping that I could save a few bucks on elec.

Probably not. Chances are the new motor is not much more efficient than the one you have now. Split capacitor motors haven't changed much since they were developed in the 70's, so you're just better off running what you've got. Most motors show warning signs of when they're about to go, noise, vibration, etc. If you keep the bearings oiled its not uncommon for these motors to go 30+ years, and I have seen split phase motors going strong after 50 years.

The only motor that will really save you money is one of the permanent split magnet variable speed motors, and one of those will run you $800-$1,000 plus the controls it needs.

Also, motors are constructed lighter, seem to use larger-value run capacitors than the old ones, to compensate for the girlie-man windings...keep what 'ya got!

Back