Blown Husky 350...now what?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I drilled and tapped a fine threaded bolt to fit.Too cheap to buy the right helicoil,and I have a lathe.Then I used red Loctite.

Drilling and tapping it for a bigger screw sounds like a good option...hmmm. Is that something that can be done w/o taking the cylinder off?

Just to make what I did clear.Jug was drilled and tapped for the bolt,and the bolt was first drilled and tapped for stock bolt to fit.This way I had plenty of meat in the jug for new threads.

That depends on what tools you have.
Your big problem is to keep metal out of the cylinder.

Yeah, shavings in the combustion chamber is a definite no no. I know a couple guys with lathes, I may see if they can help me out. Thanks guys.

http://www.nooffswitch.net/2014pics/IMG_0201.JPG
Was all done with the jug off. I can get them cheap from the dealer when messed up like that. I take a 3/8 bolt say 5inches long and drill and tap while in the lathe.Cut to length and install.More work my way,but I have the time to mess around.

so effectively drilled and tapped metal inserts... another that fall's into the "done right" category. Might be able to replicate those inserts with a mill or good setup in a drill press. Drilling and tapping the cylinder isn't as hard as centering the to be tapped holes on those inserts... :) SO wonder if using epoxy to keep those inserts held solid would help, then using standard Loctite on the now steel threads on the inserts? Hope you report over time the reliability.. have to keep this thread alive.

Not sure if mentioned yet but there is a good thread by moody on these. Muffler bolt fix is to tap to 6mm and use 288 muffler bolts. You also have to drill muffler tubes a little bigger.
Done that... and it seems to work. (That video I posted shows glimpses of that...so far a month or two of use later is works)

I'd really like to get away from the aluminum threads...that is the real issue here...steel threads mating with soft aluminum threads just isn't ideal, even with a bigger application.

I'm leaning heavily towards helicoils for this reason.

I'd really like to get away from the aluminum threads...that is the real issue here...steel threads mating with soft aluminum threads just isn't ideal, even with a bigger application.

I'm leaning heavily towards helicoils for this reason.
I think you would do better with time serts

What would be the correct size for them? I need to get new bolts as well, one of them has a nearly stripped out head and the other is a bit wobbled out. I need to do this right!

Latest posts

Back