Blown Husky 350...now what?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some great info being dropped here, thanks guys!

Weimedog, I watched a bunch of your videos, I really enjoyed them. I noticed you had issues with the chain seizing up with fugly. I have had issues with that as wel, the sprocket in the husky bar on mine isn't great and locks up occasionally when the B&C gets hot. I am going to upgrade the bar at some point, it deserves better. I always make sure to give it a few revs between bucking cuts to get oil to it, seems to help. These saws seem a tad stingy with the oil output IME.

I can assure you that Old Cat has some good tricks up his sleeve with modding these. I am thrilled with how "tree fiddy" runs now. I helped a neighbor cut up a hickory and it smoked a stock 361 in bucking cuts. It holds high RPMs in the cut with good torque and it just screams. It will make your ears ring!

I used a die grinder to drill a hole and cut a slot where I was able to add a screw to the "streached" plastic clamp. TIME will tell if it survives! Wonder if we could just cut away some of the plastic and use a thin hose clamp to save that $16 dollars OEM solution?

Got pics of your solution? Can it be applied to the old clamp? Might save a guy a bunch of time and $10 bucks a saw..

I'll have to go back to Napa to get the part number again, I had it in the form of a pic in a phone that fell out of my pocket and shattered. I have two more though, I appreciate your vids and if you want a Napa clamp I'll mail you one, just pm me your addy. You can take it to Napa in your neck of the woods and match it if you like it

Well I noodled up a couple logs today and wouldn't you know the wire rigged muffler bolt rattled right back out. So what is THE best fix for this? Tapping it and running a bigger bolt? Helicoils? The threads in the cylinder are totally stripped out.

It cut some nice little Red Oak crotch wood slabs though! Thinking about making some step stools or small shelves out of these.

IMAG0681.jpgIMAG0682.jpg

Well I noodled up a couple logs today and wouldn't you know the wire rigged muffler bolt rattled right back out. So what is THE best fix for this? Tapping it and running a bigger bolt? Helicoils? The threads in the cylinder are totally stripped out.

Helicoil is the best fix, do both sides.

I have one heil coiled that seems to be working. Also heil coiled the bearing cap to fine thread. The other solution that has proved the test of time is an ugly aluminum bracket...:) too ugly to show on a classy place like this.
Some people might not know to get the piece off of the helicoil after installation. The little tail that you get it in with. It would probably be good to loc-tite the coil in also.

Some people might not know to get the piece off of the helicoil after installation. The little tail that you get it in with. It would probably be good the loc-tite the coil in also.
I have this ancient heli coil set that has a spring loaded punch... snaps that tab right off. Actually think I have it in one of the 350 video's where I had to heli coil a side. I used to heli coil Bultaco cases... another era another story

Latest posts

Back