Blueberry season is coming!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One plant the size of what you are describing will cost you 20.00 here, it's the main reason I backed out of putting 3 acres of bushes in as I talked to you about last year. I put it into sweet corn instead last year.

I wish gas wasn't so high right now, it would be worth the drive up to your area to buy plants, even to buy a few extra to resell, at 10.00 bucks apiece you could sell the cheet out of them here this time of year.

One plant the size of what you are describing will cost you 20.00 here, it's the main reason I backed out of putting 3 acres of bushes in as I talked to you about last year. I put it into sweet corn instead last year.

I wish gas wasn't so high right now, it would be worth the drive up to your area to buy plants, even to buy a few extra to resell, at 10.00 bucks apiece you could sell the cheet out of them here this time of year.

Std. 8' truck bed will hold 242 3yr olds in 5" pots.
Lemme know how many thousand ya want, I'll line 'em up.
Last fall I could get 4yr old Dukes pushing the pots for 2 bucks if I bought all 7,000. I hate Dukes and passed.

PM me if you're considering lunacy, as I have several buds with Green houses that would be glad to help ya out.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

He's paying too much. Ag sulphuric is cheaper and in higher concentration.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

He just finds old batteries, he doesn't pay for them, I don't think he pays for anything actually. He definatley ain't paying a dentist... nor the electric company for that matter.

He just finds old batteries, he doesn't pay for them, I don't think he pays for anything actually. He definatley ain't paying a dentist... nor the electric company for that matter.

Then he's using some toxic nastiness.
Dunno if playing with all the lead oxides and other evil gorp in the batterys has anything to do with his tooth deficit or not, but it can't help.

That's nuts.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

our soils makes bricks

I've tried blueberries twice now, they croak, which is real embarrassing as a long time gardener. The soil is clay with some natural limeyness to it, and the well water for any watering is limey as well. I tried heavy mixed hardwood and pine chips mulch, some stirred in, that almost worked but not quite.

There are some wild around here, but not many.

The soil around here makes *bricks*. Of course one of the tradeoffs it is real easy to make ponds step 1-dig hole, step 2-let it rain, step 3-stock with fish.

--oh hey, what are the tractor fenders for?

I've tried blueberries twice now, they croak, which is real embarrassing as a long time gardener. The soil is clay with some natural limeyness to it, and the well water for any watering is limey as well. I tried heavy mixed hardwood and pine chips mulch, some stirred in, that almost worked but not quite.

There are some wild around here, but not many.

The soil around here makes *bricks*. Of course one of the tradeoffs it is real easy to make ponds step 1-dig hole, step 2-let it rain, step 3-stock with fish.

--oh hey, what are the tractor fenders for?

Zogger,

You're in the pottery clay section eh? PH is only partly the issue.
Drainage and root penetration is the other half.

Blueberry roots are lousy at uptake, so they make a bunch of fine roots.
A rootball about the size of a Bean bag chair that extends downward, and a hair fine "Web" that is about 4" under the soil and extends radially about 4-5' from the root crown.
Problem is the roots are so fine and weak, they have a hard time penetrating clay soils.

The other issue is drainage. Standing water lacks oxygen and smothers the roots. If you can get the water draining, even slowly, they can tolerate just about any flooding.

The folks that are successfull on clay, dig a big enough hole to accomodate the roots, and blend mulch with Peat and sand, on raised rows or beds to allow for drainage. Crazy amount of work from what I have seen, but some of GBA guys are pulling in good tonnage doing it.

The fenders?
The Bushes tend to send new branches towards light between the rows, and Tractor tires will break them, so they fenders allow for sliding through the rows with minimal damage.
Some Varietys like Blue Crop have floppy canes, and when the fruit is on, they sag into the rows and without Orchard fenders, they would get broken.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Back