Bobcat Forestry Cutter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thansen

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Have any of you guys demoed or ran one of the new Bobcat Forestry Cutters? I know they were built by Bobcat to Fecon specks or vice versa. I'm looking at getting one for my K series T300 track loader. Not sure if it would be better just trade up to a T320 or just have my T300 upfitted with the forestry package and the cutter head. The dealer said my machine should run the cutter find because it is the new version, it would just need the forestry package added to it. Anyway, just wanted to see what you guys thought about them and if they are "all that". Thanks!

what would you call "all that" we have one (t300) and it works "good" but it's still just a "skid steer with a head" you WILL have over heating problems in dusty stuff as the cooling on all skid steers sucks as they are not built to mow / mulch !!!!!!!!!!! so it depends on what you are going to use it for and how large of jobs you plan on going after. Don't get me wrong we love ours but it is what it is. We also have rock hound heads on our ex and a t300 they work good to. it all depends on what you need to mulch and how much and fast you need to do it.
attachment.php

equipment

Thanks ASD. I figured on the over heating problems. I'm not going after any real huge projects mainly cleaning up some Aspen Groves maybe some small Ponderossa Pine regeneration. Anything over 6" or so and I'll probably cut with my shear and skid out with my rotaional log grapple for firewood. Your excavator and rock hound would be sweet, but I need to take baby steps. Not sure if I could bite that much off right now, kind of figure I allready have the T300 might as well use it if it will work. Thanks for posting those pics

I don't thik you will be shredding any 6" stuff with that Bobcat setup. I am using a 140HP Fecon mulcher, and it is rated to do up to 6" material. However, it really does best on stuff no larger than 4" dia. Production is very slow on 6" dia, trees.
With your bobcat hyd. system, and fairly low engine HP, I doubt you will get good production on anything over 3". If you are doing mostly brush, it will be fine. If you plan on doing a lot of trees, even small ones, you will be disappointed.
Jeff

I don't thik you will be shredding any 6" stuff with that Bobcat setup. I am using a 140HP Fecon mulcher, and it is rated to do up to 6" material. However, it really does best on stuff no larger than 4" dia. Production is very slow on 6" dia, trees.
With your bobcat hyd. system, and fairly low engine HP, I doubt you will get good production on anything over 3". If you are doing mostly brush, it will be fine. If you plan on doing a lot of trees, even small ones, you will be disappointed.
Jeff

Thanks for typing that for me.

Thanks guys. I appreciate your input. I just picked up a new T320 with a forestry cutter to demo today so I'm going to give it a try. I agree that there is going to be a lack of HP to do bigger stuff. If I can get through some of the smaller brush and smaller trees that will help. Im just tyring to get rid of some of the tidious hand labor. Then on the stuff like you say, 3" + I can always just shear. It will be interesting.

Last edited:
There are some things you can do to minimize overheating.
I routinely grind 7-8 softwoods and even larger uprooted stumps and some very large hard woods. Once you get comfortable with the setup, you can plane larger logs and learn to feather into big wood and yes, you can grind some very large trees and brush.

I watch guys with larger, dedicated machines stall their cutting heads. It takes finesse and if you use it like a dozer, it won't cut much.

As for the Bobcat forestry package, I ran a brush mower since Bobcat had 30 gpm and I don't see how or why the forestry package is required.
Get an A/C "cut to fit" filter and put it between the radiators and grille on your T300 or 320 and it will catch a lot of material. Just bang it out every couple of hours and you can run all day. Down here, in hot, dry and dusty Texas, that's what I do. It's a pain but a good blower (or compressor) and some of those filters will keep you from overheating.

I'm now running a Cat 272c and it doesn't overheat either. I ran 2 s300k's last year and they did fine but were just a tad weak onthe hydro power. I think the t320 should be able to keep that pump up with it's extra torque.

Jeff

While Bobcat's hydro system leaves a lot to be desired, I think that a good operator can mulch 5-7 inch material efficiently on softer woods like cedar and hackberry. Oak ulching can be good on 4-6 inch material unless it is dry, hard wood which tends to chunk and get spit back out requiring a more time for a finer cut.
Have you used a K series large frame Bobcat for grinding? What head did you use and what were you grinding? Some wood is just hard as heck to mulch.

Last edited:
Yellowdog,
Thanks for the reply. I had real good luck with the 320 and the forestry cutter. Thats a great idea with the A/C filter, thanks! I agree with you that a lot of it is just the operator and it definately takes some finess, you just can't ramrod that grinding head into things and expect it to perform. I found out feathering the head into the material and planeing it was the best way go. I appreciate your input and look forward possibly to talking with you more about your experience with that machine. I love my T300, I think it is a great machine.

Yellowdog,
Thanks for the reply. I had real good luck with the 320 and the forestry cutter. Thats a great idea with the A/C filter, thanks! I agree with you that a lot of it is just the operator and it definately takes some finess, you just can't ramrod that grinding head into things and expect it to perform. I found out feathering the head into the material and planeing it was the best way go. I appreciate your input and look forward possibly to talking with you more about your experience with that machine. I love my T300, I think it is a great machine.

Wally world has those filters. I used to buy them by the handful and use them for about 3-5 days depending on what I was mowing. I have not overheated a K series machine and I ran 2 G series S300's that didn't overheat in the S. Texas summer. That little 2 buck filter is awesome and nothing gets hot enough up there to melt one! You won't be scraping your cooler very often if you use one.

The Bobcat setup we tried back in Jan., did not give us good production rates at all. It struggled with Locust trees and Bois d'arc trees of any size. It did well on Mesquite though, and your average thick brush. I am sure the type of trees will make a big difference on production rates with any of these smaller skidsteer mulchers. With the bigger dedicated machines like the Fecon 140, you can pretty much eat up anything under 6' with very little effort.
Currently I have the Fecon on a tract that is heavily covered in Mesquite. I am getting about 5 acres/8 hours of operation. The Bobcat we demoed would probably get about 1 or 2 acres at the most in these conditions.
I think the Skidsteer mulchers are great for smaller tracts, detail work, and, leave a nicer finished look with smaller chips.
That filter idea is a great idea. I will have to try that next time I rent a skidsteer mulcher.
Jeff

as for cooling we got a window screen kit at home depo and made it to fit on top of the lid and used Velcro tape to hold it on when it starts to get hot (watch your gages) just stop and shake it off.

as for cooling we got a window screen kit at home depo and made it to fit on top of the lid and used Velcro tape to hold it on when it starts to get hot (watch your gages) just stop and shake it off.

that's another good idea.

I can't take credit for the AC filter. I had been looking for something that wouldn't burn easily like screen but was easier to put under the grille and one of the mechanics at Bobcat suggested that. I couldn't find it anywhere (the cut to fit) and even looked online and low and behold, Wally world had boxes of them.

One of the things I don't like about Bobcat is the rear grille has the hills and valleys. If it was smooth, I think more material would fall off. I also tape up the holes at the back end of grille and accessory holes near the cooler (which I cover from the inside). I cut to fit some of the AC filter and stuff it in the large gaps just under the cab lift cylinders where a good deal of debris get sucked in. I then silicone all the holes on the sides of the machines to plug them (or use duct tape which looked cheesy but worked) to seal the machine. The bobcats pull a tremendous amount of material through the exhaust fan and if you don't plug holes, you can end up with a lot of fluff covering your hydro pump and back of the motor and compartments. It hasn't happened to me but I have seen machines that burned up from that.

Are any of you guy's running an ASV with a fecon head? I've been looking at these, and have heard claims that ASV has the most hydraulic hp available for any of the skidsteer's. How does the bull hog head perform? If I go this rout I'll be cutting mostly Ponderosa Pine, and some Doug Fir, and Juniper.
Opinions?

Andy

Are any of you guy's running an ASV with a fecon head? I've been looking at these, and have heard claims that ASV has the most hydraulic hp available for any of the skidsteer's. How does the bull hog head perform? If I go this rout I'll be cutting mostly Ponderosa Pine, and some Doug Fir, and Juniper.
Opinions?

Andy

Andy, come out and try my new T320. The extra horsepower over our older machines is incredible. I am trying to set up a demo for the forestry cutter in the next week or two and would like for you to be there to give your thoughts. I believe that the ASV does have the most hydraulic horsepower, but still think that bobcat has the best track system for the terrain that we use these in considering what all I have done with my old machine. Pretty amazing in such a small town we run into each other on the internet to discuss this.

Andy, come out and try my new T320. The extra horsepower over our older machines is incredible. I am trying to set up a demo for the forestry cutter in the next week or two and would like for you to be there to give your thoughts. I believe that the ASV does have the most hydraulic horsepower, but still think that bobcat has the best track system for the terrain that we use these in considering what all I have done with my old machine. Pretty amazing in such a small town we run into each other on the internet to discuss this.

That's pretty amazing alright.
Where are you planning the demonstration? Let me know and I'll do my best to be there.
I've had a Bobcat 863 (over tire tracks) for about 5 years, and love it for what I've been doing. It's not enough machine for this venture though.

Andy

That's pretty amazing alright.
Where are you planning the demonstration? Let me know and I'll do my best to be there.
I've had a Bobcat 863 (over tire tracks) for about 5 years, and love it for what I've been doing. It's not enough machine for this venture though.

Andy

Stop by and see me or call me this week. I need to talk to you anyway.

Jeremy

Opinions?

Andy

Hmmm, I guess no one runs an ASV, or a Bull hog.

Andy

Back