BobL's next CS mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob do you have any updates on your B3 mill project and the new shop? I always enjoy watching your projects progress. You seem to be able to figure a way to get 12 pounds in a 10 pound sack and still have room to work.

No more updates I'm afraid. The B3M is inside my new shop which I am still working on.

I'm still madly building things like this welding bench and welding bay fume hood
attachment.php

I also built a turret stand for 3 grinders - the top can be rotated to bring the grinder of interest to the front and the locked into place
attachment.php

Oh yeah I also made this steel banding dispenser for packing up lumber
attachment.php

Behind the stand you can see the new wood work lathe bench I am working on at the moment.
I'm also converting the single phase WW lathe to 3 Phase via a VSD.

Here's something smaller, a stand and tool post for a small rotary table for my metal work lathe. I also blued the steel.
attachment.php

has anyone atemped building a band roller yet

I haven't Been here for quite awhile has anyone attented building a blade roller yet simular to the cooks roller which they seemed to have quit pushing for what ever reason!? Ive got the makings for it I just got to get time to get at it!

Bob,

Care to take a few more pictures of your grinder turret stand, mainly of the turret part and what is your locking mech?

No sense me cutting more steel and having more pints than required for the job, ok its about the steel, the pints just happen!

Jeremy

Good looking grinder turret stand. Nice work. I like to swivel lock.

Phil

We should use this thread as a public service announcement: Warning, this is what CAD can lead to.

Seriously, though, I wish my students had half your ingenuity and interest. I bet if I could talk the students into letting them play with chainsaws then they would be more interested in being in my class. Now how can I use this in biology? Hmmmm.......

We should use this thread as a public service announcement: Warning, this is what CAD can lead to.
The primary urge is to "make stuff", so my CAD arose from that.

Seriously, though, I wish my students had half your ingenuity and interest. I bet if I could talk the students into letting them play with chainsaws then they would be more interested in being in my class. Now how can I use this in biology? Hmmmm.......

I don't know about using a chainsaw, but a couple of 60" bars leaned up against your desk while talking to recalcitrant students can get through to some of them :biggrin:

Do you use roadkill in your classes. A biology teacher I knew had to drive 30 miles on back roads to get to work and he used to pick up small fresh road kill and bring these to class. He would then lay out a couple of sheets of butchers paper and place the roadkill in the middle - over time the bugs and parasites on the dead animal would leave and start to migrate across the paper. After about an hour or so there would be a series of rings of tiny critters which the students could sample by placing a string of adhesive tap radially outwards from the kill. These were then looked at under a microscope - hours of fun for all!

Progress Report?

Hello Bob,
How is the new Mill and the shed coming along?
I would like to ask you where you bought your chainsaw tachometers from and any comments - Pro's and Con's of fitting and use.

Regards Colin M

Hello Bob,
How is the new Mill and the shed coming along?
I would like to ask you where you bought your chainsaw tachometers from and any comments - Pro's and Con's of fitting and use.

Regards Colin M

Hi there,

I still haven't used the new mill.
Milling at the tree loppers yard has stalled due to spending time setting up a wood processing area. I have bought a second shipping container and and going to park it near the other one and put a roof up between the two for a bit of a wood processing area.
New shed is great. I have made myself a natural gas powered forge and finally have the gas line down to the shed.
Here's a pic of it when I had it on the back veranda.
attachment.php

I have fired it up a couple of times in the shed but the shed got really really hot so I had to upgrade the ventilation.
I'm currently making a few black smithing tools.

Re: Tacho
I have bought two fully sealed units from Baileys and one with a replaceable battery from some one from the chainsaw forum.
The first one from died after a couple of years use.
I don't know if it really died or the battery just went flat.
I think it might have been because I had it permanently mounted on the saw under a tarp in the hot sun for almost the whole summer.
I then went for the velcro mount system so that I could take it off the saw and move it to other saws and also take it inside to keep it out of the sun.
The one I bought from the "some one else from the chainsaw forum" refreshes a bit to slow for my liking, the baileys one is better from that point of view.

Bob,
Thanks for the prompt response.
I was looking at buying a chinese tacho. Will try your sources first.
You are the Aust CS milling Guru.
I have similar experience with gas forges.
If you want to get it hotter quicker I can help.
Will take photo's tomorrow morning.

Regards Colin

Bob,
Thanks for the prompt response.
I was looking at buying a chinese tacho. Will try your sources first.
You are the Aust CS milling Guru.

Thanks for the kind words but there are folks here with a lot more experience than mine. For example old timers that have done this for a living are more the guru type.

I have similar experience with gas forges.
If you want to get it hotter quicker I can help.

Im pretty happy with how quickly the forge heats metal in that it get's hot enough to forge in about 5 minutes but I would be interested in hearing what you have to say. Natural gas has a low energy content and to get it burning efficiently a blower is needed which means a lot of hot air flying around.

Hey there Bobl, Good to see you're back in the saddle with a new venture. It is pleasing to know that others are into other things and it's what makes the world spin. Any funnel web or tiger snake problems of late? We will have a sand wasp problem after brood 3 hatchings of cicadas. 17 years under the ground and they're are coming out now in NE USA Stingers measure 9/16" Captured a few out of curiosity. Thankfully they are domocile. TF.

Last edited:
Hey there Bobl, Good to see you're back in the saddle with a new venture. It is pleasing to know that others are into other things and it's what makes the world spin. Any funnel web or tiger snake problems of late?
We don't have funnel web spiders here on my side of the country but we do have "red backs" a nasty version of the "black widow". When I went down to the milling yard recently I found that someone had run over and bent two of my milling rails (My fault really as I had put them in a poor location relative to all the vehicle movements around the yard) so I picked them up and put them in my van and took them home for a bit of straightening. When I finally got around to looking at them I notice that they both had red back spider nests inside them. One had two nests and one had about 8 nests - all had a resident red back in them. These things are everywhere - I'll bet if I go and look in our garden I can find one right now. The place they love is inside hollow bits of plastic garden chairs and tables.

I haven't seen a snake in a while. The new milling yard has piles of junk which are very likely to have snakes in there somewhere. The most common snake in the area is likely to be a Dugite which are very poisons but fortunately timid so they run away but I won't take my dogs there in spring or summer as the dogs will ferret them out and want to play. Winter time is fine as they are all hibernating.

Back