Bonanza of wood but a catch!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would be afraid he would be tempted to start selling firewood as soon as he sees it all piled up.

Well when it rains it pours ( at least I hope not for a while) as I just happened into another deal and this one is for real and sweeeeet! Started today cutting trees that are leaning out over a farm field. Farmer wants anything that prevents him from farming up close taken out. The perimeter is loaded with nice sized stuff 16-24"ers and some larger. All kinds and the area is very easy to work in and all the tops can just be pushed up on the edge. There is so much to get we are passing on anything below 4" just so there is time to get all the but logs out before planting begins. Normally we waste nothing and take all but the smallest of pieces but this volume and my time constraints are such that we will just be moving whole logs for now. Maybe next fall go back and work up the tops that I push off to the side. I estimate the whole length of tree line to be almost a mile. I'll just get what I can when I can and if I don't finish before they plant I guess I'll pick up on it next fall after harvest.

This sounds like a much better deal than waiting 2 years before you have anything to show for it, if even then. What would happen if you ran onto this current deal 2-3,6 months later and abandoned the guy that won't let you touch any? Right, he would have ended up with the wood and a partially cleaned up 8 acres at your expence.

I am glad that 2nd deal is going to work for you. I would hesitate also on the "deal" of cutting all the wood before being allowed to remove it. I understand his reasoning but that would be too risky to me.

2 nd deal sounds good--but as i cut a tree down--it would go home the same day----and keep clenaing and cutting as you go--otherwise--wood will be gone next time you come back. society aint what it used to be--

Back