Bone's New Hauler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the truck envy

That is one sweet lookin' truck ya got there BCB......But not too nice for hauling wood,or stoves,or deer.Good purchase.

I remember when diesel pickups started gettin popular back in the early 90's.Diesel was about 90 cents a gallon then,and a diesel truck would get around 22 mpg.Now that diesel is $ 4.15 a gallon [round here anyhow],and they got the power hopped up on em so much,most only get around 14 mpg now,Id say that V 10 was a wise choice.All I got is a 1500 Chevrolet Z71,with a 5.3 liter.I pull my 5000 lb tractor around with 16ft bumper mount trailer and have no problems at all.I also have the dents and scrapes to prove that my truck is a wood hauler

THis old ford has hauled a lot of wood , have replaced the back springs and put helpers on them. It's got plenty of dents. Only problem it has a 460 engine which likes gas a LOT.
chainsaws028.jpg

My original wood hauler is an old '72 Chevy 3/4 ton 2wd long box with the heavy leaf spring rear end. It has cap height side boards on it almost always. As long as the wood isn't plumb green it will haul 4-1/2 rows heaped up a couple feet above the cab in the middle (I figure just under a cord). At that point the truck is riding level as opposed to a slight rake when empty.

My new work truck is a '94 Chevy hd 3/4 ton 4x4 ex cab long box that's had the 6.5 replaced with a 5.9 liter 12V Cummins. Last fill was 19.5 mpg of mixed driving - some towing, some interstate, and some around town type driving. Not bad for 4:10 gears. It seems to have no problems pulling my old full size ford pickup box trailer heaped up as much as it's half ton spring pack will allow. I need a bigger trailer now.

I can't get myself to spend real big dollars on a vehicle that I'm going to pile to the hilt with wood and go crawling through the woods.

Nice trucks guys.

Don

I guess my experience with diesel vs. gas is a little different than what you guys are seeing. Our work trucks are identical except some are diesel and some are gas. A coworker and I have the only gas models in the fleet. The boss has always been sold on diesels and keeps saying when our trucks are up for relacement they will be diesels.
I just had my v10 gas engine replaced at 197,000 because I blew a spark plug out of the head ( I guess Ford in all it's wisdom decided that all you needed was 3 threads to hold it in :rolleyes: . They have since saw the error of their ways and resolved that issue). I had to use one of the spare diesels and had a chance to compare the mileage. EXACTLY the same as my gas engine.
As for the coil pacs, I've had some replaced on the v10 and the installed price by our fleet service was about $300 each.
Now one of the diehard diesel loving employees in our company had his diesel go belly up ( he was always rubbing it in that the days of gas engines in our company were coming to an end) and he was moaning that he had just heard that the boss has had enough and was going to replace our truck fleet with GAS engines!:hmm3grin2orange:

Bone,

That's an excellent choice and a fine truck! Your's too Stihl Sawin! F250 would be first choice for me too. :monkey: I'm currenty using a 4x4 ranger vintage 86' :hmm3grin2orange: but I'd sure like an F250!

Sometime this year I think I'll upgrade and track down a used older one (my style). I had a shot at an older 88' deisel and passed though. I'm just not that deisel savy and was a litte apprehensive about the old gal. Anyways, up here in Maine, you've got your typical Ford /Chevy rivalry. More Chevy's around here but I've always been a Ford truck guy. The problem is they all have rust problems if they originated in this area. Salted roads and maybe sea air too?

What I'd like to do is locate a nice southern/western, anywhere the bodies hold up better truck, then fly out and drive her back. Like Bone, I have a car for trips and such and the truck is work related and local.

The old Ranger(Tonto) has been a good truck for a long time, gets fair mileage, and has hauled all my home wood for 10yrs, but I'm slowly loosing the rust battle. :cheers:

Nice ride, cept its not a diesel. Gonna hurt come fillup time. 'Course at $4 a gallon my fillups hurt right now too lol.

Does it still pay at $4.00+ to have a diesel? I've wanted to get one for several years but am starting to question whether it's economical. My gasser can squeak out 18mpg if I baby it for about 70 cents a gallon less.

I of course understand the diesel will be more capable and durable I'm just starting to question the economical aspect of it.

Right now my Cummins gets 20mpg on the hwy if I keep it around 70 or less, and 22mpg at 60mph. Once I get my Edge box the economy setting whould get me 23-25mpg on the hwy. Wont take too long to get my $300 back on that investment

Yes they are expensive, but so are the 7.3, don't get me wrong I love the 7.3 first generation PSD. The older 7.3 had injector O-ring problems, and the injectors seem to start going out at around 150,000 they are or were 300-350 a piece. The cam position sensors were trouble also, 180.00 from ford, 80 from International. In fact I just got a recall from ford the other day on that after 10 years of owning it. Torque converter problems wouldn't handle the power, dual mass flywheels coming apart. Fuel filters from Ford are 30.00, that need replaced at 15,000. about 55.00 in oil changes now, thats doing it myself. Than the turbo's, though mine is still going strong at 225,000. Exhaust back pressure sensor manifold tubes plugging up. Wow, now that I really thought about all I've been through makes me wonder why I love her like I do, Oh yeah it's paid for and still looks and pulls great.:cheers:

Love that 7.3 liter Diesel. :cheers:

pretty much the same for my 97 cummins 12 valve.

starting to run waste motor oil... a little past 50% WMO with no problems. plan is up % until she doen's like it. then back off.

with diesel $4 gal... sure is nice to have this option.

Right now my Cummins gets 20mpg on the hwy if I keep it around 70 or less, and 22mpg at 60mph. Once I get my Edge box the economy setting whould get me 23-25mpg on the hwy. Wont take too long to get my $300 back on that investment

Here's mine, kinda went the other way than the rest of you, but I have a friend with a dump truck (tri-axle) available for the big loads. It's not very powerful (52 HP), but it'll hold a heaping bed full (fills my 8'x4' rack). Oh yeah, also gets 50MPG and runs on vegetable oil :)

IMGP2636.jpg

Man were did you find one of those in such good shape? I would like to have one but finding them like that in my price range is a problem.

nice truck Bones!

i agree,the diesel doesn't make sense.it's $4.50+ here in Corrupticut.

my buddy has a V10 in his F-550 and it's a hell of an engine.maybe one of fords best and i'm not a ford man.not near the isuues they are having with the 5.4.

nice little truck... always wanted one of those little diesels..

hopefully pretty soon my cummins 12v will be running at lease 50% ATF. some folks have been running 100% ATF in the summer.

note this is only for older diesels, newer diesels (common rail) are way to fuel sensitive to attempt this.

got a free source of waste oil/ATF. 30-50 gal every two weeks.
recently purchased a waste oil filtration system. so waste oil will be treated to 3 microns.

Here's mine, kinda went the other way than the rest of you, but I have a friend with a dump truck (tri-axle) available for the big loads. It's not very powerful (52 HP), but it'll hold a heaping bed full (fills my 8'x4' rack). Oh yeah, also gets 50MPG and runs on vegetable oil :)

Well it looked like this when I got it:

0499_3.jpg

Wow! Awesome job Fletch! :clap: Wish I could do that too my old 4x4Ranger. It's tough though (for me) when the door hinge (bottom) area starts to go and the drivers side floor isn't all that cool either. Still runs great though. Might be gettin time to let her go.

OK that makes more sense. I can buy those here too. $500.00 specials all rusted out are common.

Hey Fletch. What kind of truck is that? I can't say I've ever seen one.

Hey Fletch. What kind of truck is that? I can't say I've ever seen one.

1982 Volkswagen Rabbit pickup: 1.6 liter 52 HP diesel, 5 speed, FWD. It was very rotted when I bought it. I welded in new rockers, floors, an inner fender and other parts. I estimate it has around 400,000 miles on it. It's a great little beat around truck and even if I buy the $4.50 diesel I still get 50 MPG. So far I've run it on the following:
straight diesel
diesel with drain oil mixed
diesel with 2 stroke oil
straight hydraulic fluid
heating fuel
straight kerosene
bio diesel
straight vegetable oil (pre-heated)
waste vegetable oil (pre-heated)

and any combination of the above :)

I thought it looked like a VW but I'd never seen one. You saying it's front wheel drive too? That's a nice little ride. Would be nice to find a run around pick up like that.

Back