Boots are expensive!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not sure if they are sold outside of australia, but if you are in aus then 'argyle' by 'steel blue' are great boots in or out of spikes. Reasonably lightweight, good strong shank, waterproof and comfortable to wear with no break in time needed. Downside is you only get about 12 months out of a pair. They're about AU$150.

Shaun

Product Detail

Once you get past the break in (1-2 weeks) these boots are amazing, waterproof and very very comfortable. Easy to stand on spikes, and comfy to climb on. I used to only wear CAT, then switched to hiking boots, but the redwings are so comfortable I can't imagine buying anything but these in the future. Price was like $265, they seem very durable, but we'll see.

These boots look nice. The only problem I see it that there made in China. Buy american made.

Cool beans, thanks fella's. I will do a bit of studying on all these links. I was looking at some Ugs too, although I don't think I will be as sexy as the girl I seen wearing them.
Redirect Notice
(present to you all for the help!)

@ Danno- yeah, they will start to slide/roll over the heel on the Cat boots, the heal has a bevel, its not square. I love them for pruning, they SUCK for removals!

I have tried to buy all American, German saws don't count! But I do believe in buying local and buying only stuff made here in the U.S. of freakin A! Doesn't always happen that way, but I try! So should all of you, especially Reg, Ekka and Coryimba!

If you dont mind me asking, how much did Whites charge you to rebuild them and what level of work did you have done to them?

Virtually every Hotshot and Smokejumper in the country wears Whites. That says a lot because they live in their boots. I wouldn't own anything else.

I know they don't make much of a fashion statement in the tree crowd, but I have been wearing Carolina Highliners for 20 years. To me they are more comfortable than sneakers. Maybe because I am so used to wearing them. Some say they don't last long but mine last me 2-3 years (and that is heavy climbing) and always have.

American made and about $140 bucks.

It was 230...For my dry-foot "outdoorsman" pair to be rebuilt. When i sent them in they were to the point of the bottoms separating at the sides. I got em from my step dad, so i wore them till they were dead. He got a new pair and i sent mine in...the ones i got back from being rebuilt looks pretty close to the brand new ones...only part they reuse is the upper section that you lace with up your leg...everything else was new. Insides were new...virtually a new boot...cept its about 35% cheaper then a brand new pair.

I got a pair of these asolos a few weeks ago and am very happy with them.
Asolo Sasslong Gore-Tex® Backpacking Boots (For Men) - Save 30%
I bought mine for 137.00 which, IMO, is a heck of a good deal. I had a pair of lighter weight asolos i wore during the summer and I like them as well.They held up well,only problem was in the fall one of the lace hooks broke off which kinda upsets the lacing process lol. The only reason it broke was cuz of using a pantin. Not something the designers would have thought about.
I had some wescos. They lasted 2 years and the soles started coming off. Plus my foot started feeling "sloppy" and was like sliding around in them. I hate that. Dude from Viberg (at TCIA show) said soles came off cuz they dont use brass nails like Viberg. They use steel which rust. His story seemed to make sense cuz they was sure as hell rusted. I was gonna have my wescos rebuilt. The cost of the rebuild was fine. Problem was I had to pay shipping there AND shipping back. Now all of a sudden the cost of a rebuild was 75 or 80 % the cost of a new pair! AND..I would be without my boots for "about 2 months". I ended up buying a pair of Thorogood loggers. 200 bucks and I think they are fine. They say "made in USA". Plus I dont wear the loggers day in and day out like i did in my younger days. I still like em on the bigger take downs but otherwise the "mid weight hiker" works better for me on the residental work I do.

Back