boots!!!!!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm mailing off my measurements today for a pair of custom Wescos. Never had trouble with my feet before last year. The first few trees last spring were horizontal and laying in water and I made the mistake of wearing cheap rubber knee boots. The rest of last year was misery. Plus my feet seemed to have grown a full size. Lug soles can be pretty tough on limbs but I'm probably finished with gummy soles forever. I have a pair of 16" Hoffmans that have been great boots but are now to tight and a pair of White's Dri-Foots that are the best boots I've ever owned but are tight in the toe box with orthotics. I hope the Wescos are worth waiting for (mid-June) because they cost more that the first car I owned.
Phil

They last me 3 years and I'm not easy on them I wear them from stump grinding to Crain work. Pricey but last forever. I've sent two pairs back so far and even had the size taken down a half.

Arb Pro's are very good boots too. They are made in Italy. I have used them in the past for climbing and removals and now were Carolina's for the side support for spiking. I recommend both of them.

I bought a pair of Keen boots after this was posted last year. Very comfortable, and they have good grip in the tree. However, they didn't last through the season. I took them back to dic's sporting goods where I bought them because that is what the Keen warranty said to do. dic's didn't want to do the exchange, the manager did, but said it was against store policy. They didn't have my size in stock, so they gave me a store credit. I used that to purchase the same pair online...which actually re-set my warranty, so I will just send them back to Keen if they fall apart before the 1 year warranty this time.

Those hoffs look SWEET!!
they just make ya feel tough!! great spike boots. they're heavy though...i wore them one day to do bids and was worn out by the end of the day. but that goes for any boot that can handle spikes day in and day out.

i've had Wescos and Bailey's Red Dawgs. They're all GREAT boots! The taller boots are like shin guards in the tree, and when you switch out to something lighter, you usually beat your shins up for a day or two because you forgot they're not indestructable...

Last edited:
LOVE 'EM! they're heavy, but they just make ya feel badass. great spike boots. i wore them one day to do bids and was worn out by the end of the day. but that goes for any boot that can handle spikes day in and day out.

I bought a pair of chpewa super loggers a few years ago, I know all about heavy. Those were the worst fahkin boots Ive ever had strapped to my feet. Talk about a horrible fit, and the arch was high and angled at the heel, it would stick into my foot. Terrible boot.

I have been switching between Redwing Loggers and Georgia Loggers. Both feel great with spikes on, but have had problems with the stitching with both. The Redwings break their stitches where the cover over the heel is attached to the side of the boot, have had 2 pairs do this. The Georgias have the stitches that keep the sole together break, usually along the inside of the toe. Usually I get about a year and a half of daily wear out of both brands though.

Scarpa gtx are durable. Mountaineering boots generally have vibram souls which are nice and sticky. Good for spiking and spikeless. Gonna get me another pair after 2 yrs. Little warm in the summer time. Order half size smaller.

Salewa

If you ask anyone working in trees, Salewa is the only ones. Right amount of stiffness ,tough, and a well designed toe box for working in trees. MTN trainer mid gtx.

If you ask anyone working in trees, Salewa is the only ones. Right amount of stiffness ,tough, and a well designed toe box for working in trees. MTN trainer mid gtx.
On my 1st pair of Alp Trainer GTXs and so far so good. Pretty sticky soles for footlock and monkeying around in the tree. Just a matter of durability now. Will check back in when I've beat them up some.

Salomon hikers for non spur climbing and less rugged work, and hoffman high climbers for spur climbing and anything you need a bomb proof boot for.

If you ask anyone working in trees, Salewa is the only ones....
30-some replies, and there was one other mention of Salewa. Guess nobody else is working in trees???

Having said that - I am bookmarking for those to consider for my next boots. The Keens are comfortable, and work well for climbing (have some grip in the soles, are small enough to move around, etc...), but they aren't holding up to tree climbing (second pair falling apart...).

TreeLogic, please do report back in a few months if you remember to let us know how they are doing!

I am going on 18 months on the Asolos. The only damage is one set of laces and the random tooth marks from my climbing saw. The tread is at 60% +/- and only one seem near the heal where my spikes rub seams to be giving up. I am very pleased. I just added some SuperFeet last month and they feel like new.

Glad I found these guys! Love these boots!

Kangri

Kangri Lady

BOREAL
KANGRI #47370
KANGRI LADY #47371
The new KANGRI - named for the highest peak in the Indian Himalya is perfect for winter ice climbing, mixed alpine routes and expeditions. Your toes will be toasty warm and dry thanks to the form fitting, durable and waterproof 2.8mm Split leather backed by DryLine textile - a unique interwoven combination of Sympatex 337 Professional and a wicking microfiber. This durable and elastic Polyester - Polyether membrane uses the natural movement of the foot to "pump" moisture out air spaces while also wicking through the fibers themselves. The difference is dryness that you can feel! The KANGRI conserves your warmth by utilizing a triple layer of Thinsulate insulation - same as employed in the technical CERRO TORRES, the G1 and G1 EXPEDITION BOOTS. Other niceties include lightweight carbonglass shaft with Neoprene cuff and Velcro closure - locks heat in and keeping debris out; 3 piece adjustable Velcro tongue and Heel Fit System - with pads to grab and hold your heels down. Structure is Boreals PBG-680 (very stiff) midsole mounted to FDS-3 triple density outer sole backed by 10mm EVA-Pro for shock absorption and insulation. This is the "tweener" boot - warmer than most "plastics" but light and with a good fit and feel that only a single leather boot can provide.
Sizing: Easy, subtract 1/2 size from your US size and you've got the UK size - ie If a US 10.5 fits well in a hiking boot, then order a UK 10 for a similar fit. Made in Spain.

best: winter ice, alpine routes fit: med (up 1/2 size)
color: ice green/silver wt: 4 lb 10 oz / 2095g / pair UK 7
size: 6 -12 UK (7-13US) price: 449
color: mountain lilac/silver wt: 3lb 2 oz / 1790g / pair UK 4
Lady size: 4 -8 UK (6-10US) price: 449

3 pk of Boreal THERMOLITE SOCKS 3 pk $79 (save $8) w/ boots order

Back to Boots
Tuesday, Sept. 25, 2012 0:42 a.m.
F I T G U A R A N T E E D

NIKWAX

Waterproof Treatments
price: $7.50

GAITERS

For extra warmth, try our
SUPERGAITERS!

FAX US YOUR FOOT
1. Trace your foot onto a piece of paper.
2. Include the length of your foot in inches on the outline & your regular shoe size, plus any other size info you'd care to share with us: narrow, wide, high or low instep, flat foot, etc.
3. Fax it to us @ 831 620-0977 along with your order info Relax - we'll do the rest.
[ CLIMBING IS DANGEROUS ] [ORDERING INFO & RETURNS POLICY ]
Tech 831 620-0911 Order 800 5.10 -2- 5.14 Fax 831 620-0977 P.O. BOX 222295 Carmel, CA 93922
© 2002 - on - Mountain Tools All Rights Reserved

Latest posts

Back