boots!!!!!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am on my first pair of WESCO highliners. Been climbing for 17 years. Yes they are beat up but I keep them oiled and mostly dry and they still fit well. I use Danner hunting boots on the ground, water proof and warm.

What is a good boot for spur climbing that is good for hot weather? Also need a high top for climbing and on the ground. Again something that is designed for hot weather. Thanks

30-some replies, and there was one other mention of Salewa. Guess nobody else is working in trees???

Having said that - I am bookmarking for those to consider for my next boots. The Keens are comfortable, and work well for climbing (have some grip in the soles, are small enough to move around, etc...), but they aren't holding up to tree climbing (second pair falling apart...).

TreeLogic, please do report back in a few months if you remember to let us know how they are doing!

So far, so good. They really do have a tough feeling toe box. I've been doing so many removals lately though that I've been wearing the Hoffman's mostly. When I get a few more months in on the Salewa's I'll report back.

I have to agree with you...I haven't heard anything about the Salewa's being used in tree climbing in the past. I thought I was the 1st to try them :)

Last edited:
What is a good boot for spur climbing that is good for hot weather? Also need a high top for climbing and on the ground. Again something that is designed for hot weather. Thanks
Once again, I really like these...Leather Hiker Lineman Boots - Hoffman Boots...their claim to fame is the mesh should breathe better in hot conditions.

I will say though, after doing lots of removals with them, I might go with the 16" version...Leather Hiker Lineman Boots - Hoffman Boots...with the 10" version I've noticed my shins get a little raw after standing on the spikes all day. Though I might need some better pads for my Geckos, which I have otherwise loved!

Thanks for the input TL those sound great! I read their reviews and most who used them said how well they breath. Thanks again!

Salewa

30-some replies, and there was one other mention of Salewa. Guess nobody else is working in trees???

Good point but If all you did was follow me around and correct me, all you would get done was following me and correcting me.

Digging up a thread from the spring...I decided to try a pair ArbPro originals. They are on closeout for only $150 at Treestuff.com now if they have your size. I wear 11.5 in most shoes/boots (have some that are 12, some that are 11) and the size 45 seem to fit.

They just arrived today, so no real review yet...they are stiffer than I expected...hopefully they'll loosen (I want them for spikeless climbing, so I'd rather a little flexible). They are orange, but tolerable. The rubber feels like it will have a lot of grip. All leather should last a long time (thought I might prefer some fabric to let them breathe better...but I think these will work out fine). The new Arbpros have leather lining. It is not common to find any boots - let alone under $300 with leather lining. I had a great pair of backpacking boots that were leather lined...very comfortable.

Not to do with the boots themselves, but regarding treestuff: I ordered them late night 7/4 and they arrived today 7/6 (Saturday). That is awesome shipping!

I'll pop back in after trying them out a few times.

For spikeless im now useing lase to toe combat boots. I got them for 30 bucks. For spike work i use 16 in Hoffman's. Line man style. Almost cant feel my spikes.
Hoffman boots has a nice selection of there own and some imports. Check out there website

Got a pair of Kenetrek light hikers a couple of months ago. Very solid boot. Made in Italy, very good construction. After the soles wear out, you can send them back to get resoled for $75.

For spikeless im now useing lase to toe combat boots. I got them for 30 bucks. For spike work i use 16 in Hoffman's. Line man style. Almost cant feel my spikes.
Hoffman boots has a nice selection of there own and some imports. Check out there website

Merrel Moab Ventilator's for climbing without spikes have been holding up pretty good since mid May. I can second that on the Hoffman's Line man's! Coolest boot and most comfortable boot I ever used.:rock:

Last edited:
I have one interesting observation.
I don't climb as much as most of you but I use
Lowa Vajolet Climbing Boots
mostly if I'm wearing spikes or not moving in the tree as much.
and I use
Salewa Mountain Trainer Mid GTX
if I plan to move around the canopy a lot.
Here is what I find interesting, they both have Vibram soles, same pattern, same "climbing zone" stamp and from what I can see, 100% the same.
But when it comes to traction on limbs, the lighter Salewa has a lot more grip and much less slip. The only thing I can figure is the stiffer sole of the Lowa does not wrap the branch as much so less surface area to grip.
So when choosing shoes, that may be something to consider. The stiffer sole works much better with spikes and standing on limbs and tight crotches but for moving around the lighter boot is much better.

I have had to edit posts to remove links to non sponsor websites or just delete them all together. You are allowed to post the name of the product but you cannot post a link to purchase them unless you are linking to one of our sponsors.

Viberg 148 15" top with lineman's heel. And the Viberg 105 T with the Urethane sole. I take the 2 screwin corks out of the arch. I pretty much only do removals so when I go up a tree Its gonna die. I have a pair of White Smoke Jumpers on the way. Bit they are steel toed. I got them for construction work where I have to wear steel toed boots. I will try them in the spurs. But am planning on getting the Viberg 75 s for the spurs.
I've never tried secured foot lock. Don't even know if I can do it. But I'm gonna try it with my Asolo hiking shoes. Looks like it would be a great workout. . Soon as I get a Hitch Hiker.

I have 3 seasons on this rebuild of my 148 s and they are still comfortable in the spurs and generally work great. 35 months of work in my 105T s. I got them in 2003 . The 148 s. I got in 06 .
The Urethane sole 105 s are the only boot that can live long and prosper with #2 Redwood screw ins in them.

Doesn't seem to have made much difference how much I spend on boots; after a year they are beat to heck. Canadian Tire periodically has steel toe/shank Kodiaks on sale at half price, which works out to ~$80/pair, and with a good pair of insoles, they are decently comfortable.

....ArbPro originals. They are on closeout for only $150 at Treestuff.com now if they have your size.......

I'll pop back in after trying them out a few times.

Just noticed they are down to $130 now (but fewer sizes).

I've had them for 2 weeks, so this is an early review:
Comfortable...after I added a cheap foam insole. Not sure why they don't.
Great grip in the tree...both the material and the design work really well.
They seem like they will hold up well - but only time will tell.

I'd highly recommend you buy a pair if they have your size. I'd probably buy a second pair at this price to have for the future, but they no longer have my size.

(note this is all spikeless climbing - I haven't tried them with spikes, and to be honest I probably won't - don't do much for one, and I'll wear the taller boots with a heal on them for use with spikes)

Vasque Sundowner

I wear the Vasque Sundowner. I just do me weekend firewood cutting on the ground. I have bad ankles and these do great and are comfy all day long.

VSQ0021-SNDBK.jpg
this might help you in taking a good decision for work boots https://shoespundit.com/best-slip-on-work-boots-for-construction/

Ariat ATS lace ups, I get a new pair for Cristmas every year or so ware them for casual were for 6 months, then to climb in, they are the only cheaper of the shelf lace up boot that doesnt roll over in the counter (heel), they still have raw hide in the counter and toe box about $120 was using justin lace up but they lasted 3 months and would roll over.
While in Colorado I got the insulated water resestaint ones went 1/2 size up, and didnt have the 6 months to ware them in so they did blister a little, and the insulated ones are a bit heavier too,
Paul
Yes agreed

Don’t do much limb walking, mostly spurs and combined with DRT/SRT
I wear Whites. Nicks, or JK. Been wearing whites for 37 years.
At some point over the years have tried some of the light weight so called boots and have hated every one of them.
I know these custom boots are expensive- but they last, and they for me offer support and comfort and stability on all types of ground and climbing.
They do require a break in, but they are worth it

Back