Bosch or NGK

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hybridkarpower

Green eyes in the dark
Reaction score
Gents:

Which plug worked better for you so far ? My Stihl dealer use Bosch & I've used nothing but NGK in all my generators, saws, lawn equipments etc.

I have used both & both work well. Just recently where I buy from has started stocking NIPPON DENSO & I tried them, Eqiv heat range seems to resist fouling better when used in older saws using more oil [ie they seem to spark good with an oily deposit on the electrode] In days gone by KLG were good but seem no longer available

I only ever use Bosch plugs in my saws. In fact the first thing I do when I get a new saw is remove the old plug and replace it with a WSR6F plug. I have found they last longer than the others especially if you can find the German made plugs.

Regards

Phil

I have used both & both work well. Just recently where I buy from has started stocking NIPPON DENSO & I tried them, Eqiv heat range seems to resist fouling better when used in older saws using more oil [ie they seem to spark good with an oily deposit on the electrode] In days gone by KLG were good but seem no longer available
I have been told by Expert Builder of Norton Commando that Denso makes noticibly more power than any plug available. Doesn't prove anything as far as saws, but made me curious to try, if I ever see for sale.

My 660 came with Bosch from factory, having ran 20+ hrs I changed it out with NGK #BMP7YA & didn't notice any gain in power. The saw starts easier, but I haven't got around to check fouling yet.

Wondering if anyone have similar experience.

One thing we have found in our shop especially on 2-stroke engines, it is not always the plug, but probably 90% of the owners who never gap their new plugs. Most people just toss them in right out of the box, and we have found that the average new plug gap is usually not close. Gap size on a 2-stroke makes a huge difference in how the engine will perform and start.

Best advice I've heard so far. Makes a lot of sense.. Manufactures states plugs are shipped "pre-gapped", but I've seen a few were off straight out the box possibly due to bouncing around from shipping or simply human error at factory.

One thing we have found in our shop especially on 2-stroke engines, it is not always the plug, but probably 90% of the owners who never gap their new plugs. Most people just toss them in right out of the box, and we have found that the average new plug gap is usually not close. Gap size on a 2-stroke makes a huge difference in how the engine will perform and start.

Plugs are really a "non" issue, unless they say "China" on them.

I stay with Champion, for the sake of sanity.

When I went back to work at a Stihl dealership in 2000, I had customers
coming in to buy chains, files, and a box of plugs.

When I asked why, they said that the Bosch plugs would foul out from time to time, and they wanted extras.

I talked them into a Champion, and that killed our plug sales.

I believe at the time, Stihl was buying the Bosch plugs made in India.

Your findings are curious fish, I found that champions are by a large margin are total garbage. They are so bad I'd be tempted do with out before running one. My experience comes from briggs and stratton use. I'm big on American made so I roll with autolites and have never had a problem with American autolites. I've stumbled upon some chinalites and they look like total junk. The chainsaws and motorcycles have NGK 'cause that's what the motorcycle shop has. So far never a problem.

Bullittman

All Champion plugs I've used so far are all made in China, but they're mostly factory installed in generators & lawn equipments etc.

IIRC my old Husky 350 was the only saw I had that came with Champion plugs, all my Stihl came with Bosch (runs fine) but NGK starts better based on my experience. But I am sure proper gap plays important factor.

Plugs are really a "non" issue, unless they say "China" on them.

Just been in the business since the early 1990s, never had any real trouble out of any of them, except for those Boschs. I stick with Champion, because
that is what most equipment came out with.

Stihl has also used Champion a lot as well....

Stihl has also used Champion a lot as well....

I have never seen a new Stihl with a Champion plug in it here in Australia. They usually have either Bosch or NGK. Most of the German made Stihls will have a German made Bosch plug. Saws from the US or Brazil may have plugs made in Brazil, India or elsewhere. A couple of older saws I imported from the US had American Autolites in them and they are still in and still working so I would have to agree with Bullittman about the quality.

Regards

Phil

Bosch - Champion -NGK

Hmm....I see old fish has eloquently replied in a myriad of nontruths again...

It does make a difference....but its not the cause...(that I have ever found)

A new properly gapped QUALITY plug (ie. NGK, BOSCH - DENSO?) will make the engine easier to start and foul more slowly...Champion? -not so much IMHO:buttkick:

NGK mostly. But have a champion or two around the place.

I just go with whatever the manufacturer specs, gap 'em, and run 'em untill I feel guilty about it.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Bosch - Champion -NGK

Hmm....I see old fish has eloquently replied in a myriad of nontruths again...

It does make a difference....but its not the cause...(that I have ever found)

A new properly gapped QUALITY plug (ie. NGK, BOSCH - DENSO?) will make the engine easier to start and foul more slowly...Champion? -not so much IMHO:buttkick:

Ouch!!!!

They run "cooler" too??? They sound like they are "synthetic"..........

Latest posts

Back