Bosch or NGK

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All my Stihls spec the same plug, so I brought a box of German Bosch.

And I always check the gap on all plugs, be it lawnmower, tractor, saw, truck......Some engines take the same plug, and gap spec is >0.020" different between them. How do they "PRE-GAP" THOSE PLUGS? :monkey:

We sell NGK, and Champion plugs only. Never had any issues with either. Nothing wrong with Bosch either, but just can't get them as cheap as I can get Champions or NGK's.

I don't know if it is a fluke but the only plugs that I can remember fouling were Bosch. Now that is 2 out of 60 or so chainsaws and maybe 2 of 4 bosch plugs. Maybe a fluke, but I won't buy bosch plugs anymore. I buy NGK mostly because that is what number I remember on the plug and most available, BPMR7A.

:cheers:

We sell NGK, and Champion plugs only. Never had any issues with either. Nothing wrong with Bosch either, but just can't get them as cheap as I can get Champions or NGK's.

My take is, that the "Champion" plug is the standard as far as the part number
and I have never had a problem with them as well.

I would be curious to see if someone can actually "demonstrate" or "prove"
better performance or starting out of any other brand.

i vote NGK. sell em all the time, have never really had an issue with them. Not knocking the other brands but i've found bosch plugs come in all the time looking like crap and i've had 20/24 champion plugs in a shop pack that would'nt even fire. Ran the test on 2 saws and 2 weed trimmers. Since then, not much of a champion fan.

Bosch or NGK in my saws. You might find an Autolite or Denso floating around too from other saws.

I've had maybe 10 bad plugs on the saws I've worked on and all but 1 were Champions. So you wouldn't find me buying champion plugs any time soon.

It is hard to stick with just one brand though, I know my buddy put autolite glow plugs in his IDI. He drove home from his shop (3 or 4 miles) and his dad told him to take them out as soon as he possible, since they are prone to swell. So my buddy went back to his shop the next day and sure enough, one of them was already swollen after just 8 miles of driving!

or maby not. I've had non firing chumpions before. I "fixed" a friends riding mower last summer that was a non runner. He did the usual new plugs and air filter tune up with no results. Brand new chumps. I tried everything to get it to fire. As a last resort I robed some dead plugs out of some of my other dead mowers and the rider fired right up. So in my case the chumps had a 100% failure rate. The American made autolites are getting hard to find. The last ones I looked at were made in china. I my have to see what AC delco has. I will never run a chumpion though.

Bullittman

That would be pretty darn scary if it was true. Imagine 40 out of a box of 50 rounds ammo were all duds. I'd be dead meat in the field.

Matter of fact, I recall been given 20+ yrs old Vietnam era surplus ammo in boot camp a few times & they fired just fine even after 20+ yrs in ammo can.

20 out of 24 ? Odds are some body was couple beers short of a six pack.

But someone claiming to have a Champion shop pack, with 20 out of 24 plugs
bad, now that is outright "Bull".

But someone claiming to have a Champion shop pack, with 20 out of 24 plugs
bad, now that is outright "Bull".

Not necessarily. Have you ever heard of a bad batch? Not saying thats the case here but it is certainly far from impossible. All the plug horror stories I've heard just so happen to be regarding Champion plugs. Last I heard it was a game of roulette as to where they'd been made. From memory even India was mentioned?

I use solely NGK BPMR7A plugs in all my saws. I have run Bosch too which by all accounts are as good however the NGK's are easier to find. As far as people noticing more power, easier to start etc, I reckon that's clutching at straws.

Fish - you really should have sold your Champion Stock and invested in some synthetic oil research stock....while a good plug wont make any saw run cooler - it sure as heck makes it start easier...and as far as our old synthetic debate - buy a IR temperature gauge and check the temp on the cylinder head with dino vs. synthetic...

speaking of which - can you even buy non-synthetic anymore? lol:yoyo:

:agree2:
I use NGK's in everything I own... lawnmowers, dirtbikes, OPE, cars, trucks... etc.

Gary

ngk all the way, . back in the early 80's i worked at a national auto repair shop, stocked bosch plugs. had a rash of bad plugs,company pulled them from all shops, crap out of the box. i only use ngk or denzo a close 2nd.

Latest posts

Back