Boston rec climb, Saturday 6/17

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moss

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
The Boston rec climb is going ahead as planned for Saturday, 6/17. This is an opportunity to get together and hang out in the trees with fellow climbers, compare climbing gear and techniques etc. The climb will be from 9:00am sharp to approximately 1:00pm. If you've already indicated an interest in being there you'll get a private message with directions and details.

If you'd like to be there and haven't chimed in yet just respond to this thread or private message OTG Boston or me and we'll send you the info.

The climb is a joint venture of OTG Boston and Moss, looking forward to seeing you there!

Newbies

My son (10 years old) and I are interested in learning the ropes. We have absolutely no expereince and no equipment. But we are very interested and might want to stop by on Saturday!! Only one problem - if son's team wins little league playoff game tomorrow night, we have a championship game on Saturday at 11am.

Anyway, would like to know where the climb will be held in case we can make it - if you all wouldn't mind.

Thank you!

PeaceClimb said:
My son (10 years old) and I are interested in learning the ropes. We have absolutely no expereince and no equipment. But we are very interested and might want to stop by on Saturday!! Only one problem - if son's team wins little league playoff game tomorrow night, we have a championship game on Saturday at 11am.

Good luck on the game Friday, hope your son's team stays alive!

I sent you a private message with climb details.
-moss

Boston climb report

The 6/17 Boston climb went great, thanks to OTG for helping to make it happen! I was too busy climbing to take photos, hopefully some will turn up. I think we had a total of nine people who climbed in the fine beech selected by OTG. Just about everybody got to stretch out in the tree boat and we all had some quality tree time. Looking forward to the next one.
-moss

success

I want to thank Moss and OTGBoston for organizing a great climb. These two guys did a lot of work clearing some hazardous (dead) branches from the tree and in setting up multiple pitches for a really good variety of climbing. Moss set up his tree boat and everyone got to try it out: it's a very relaxing experience 45 feet off the ground swaying with the breeze and staring up through the canopy of this beautiful beech tree.

Paul Buck did a great job getting us oriented while Moss was up in the tree. He is a great instructor. Others that were there such as Mike, Dominic, Nancy, and Leif added more fun to the day with their unique perspectives on tree climbing. Dominic took a lot of pictures since his official job is a photographer with the Boston Globe, so maybe we can convince him to post a couple here?

Moss did a nice SRT demo once we were all down from the tree: climbing up with ascenders and then clipping on a Grigi to descend. I got to try OTGBoston's DdRT set-up with a Swabish (sp.) and self-tending pulley. I need more practice foot-locking the tail on that set-up, but it seems faster and more efficient than my Blake's set-up.

Overall it was a great turnout for the initial boston area rec tree climb and I hope to participate in more soon.

Thanks!

What a great climb! First of all you guys are awesome, your enthusiasm is contagious. This wouldn't have happened with out Moss' coordination efforts, all I did was tell the park rangers to take a hike.
I walked around all weekend with a goofy grin on my face because I re-discovered why I got into this profession in the first place. It was great to climb without a chainsaw or chipper screaming, just peace and quiet and a tree. JUST FOR FUN!!!! Paul was a wonderful instructor I know my buddy Mike (newbie) learned a lot from him. Please thank him again for me Moss.

I know I'll make myself available for the next climb, hope to see you guys there! BTW whatever happened to Treehead????

I got stuck working, the boss was being a total a$$hole and wouldn't let me have the day off even though he said I could 2 weeks ago, I'm definitely not going to miss the next though, glad to hear you guys had fun though
Ryan

treehead said:
I got stuck working, the boss was being a total a$$hole and wouldn't let me have the day off even though he said I could 2 weeks ago, I'm definitely not going to miss the next though, glad to hear you guys had fun though
Ryan

We might try scheduling the next one for a Sunday to avoid that problem. Also will give us time on Saturday to do climb setup. It was a little tight getting everything ready for a Saturday AM climb.
-moss

photos

Has there been any contact with the newspaper photographer who was there taking pictures? It would be cool to get a couple images loaded onto this thread.

I think the first we'll see of those photos is when the article gets published. Since he was on company time the newspaper owns the photos. I'll check with the reporter and see if we can get some outtakes.
-moss

I'd like to see those pics too.

We definately got a new treegeek outta my buddy Mike. He was up at Cleaves Co. buying all sorts of gear earlier this week. He has been harassing me to take him climbing again.

Cleaves?

Hey OTG, where's Cleaves? I didn't know there was a climbing store around town.

Bob

Cleaves Co. Inc. 300 Reservoir St. Needham, MA

also try

Shelter Tree 195 John Dietsch Sq. North Attleboro, MA

OTG BOSTON said:
I'd like to see those pics too.

We definately got a new treegeek outta my buddy Mike. He was up at Cleaves Co. buying all sorts of gear earlier this week. He has been harassing me to take him climbing again.

Anyone up for a climb on Saturday 7/8 or Sunday 7/9? I'd like to get into that larger beech, also have a new Big Shot to play with. I'm working on a trigger system for it and an easy way to extend the sling shot to maximum power or variable position along the pole using leg power instead of arms, it's looking good.

I'm thinking that instead of OTG and me doing prep the day before the climb we'll just show up, set ropes and climb at whatever time we come up with.

Last edited:
I've got a wedding to go to on the Cape this w/e. I'll have to take a raincheck.
I like the idea of just showing up and doing the climb, especially if everyone has climbed before

Latest posts

Back