Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Line State

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Emails here normally start with an open minded person looking for a good saw. They come here looking for advice and either provide enough information or the smart people here pull it out of them to recommend the appropriate saw. What do you say when someone is intent on purchasing based on price only? They are looking at a Poulan/Craftsman/Remington/Troy-Built/Ryobi 40 to 46 cc saw for under $200 that they see in the store. First question, are any of these saws better than the others? Is there a pecking order for these type of saws? Second question, what shortcuts do these manufactures make to deliver a saw that is about $100 cheaper than Husqvarna/Stihl/Echo?

Emails here normally start with an open minded person looking for a good saw. They come here looking for advice and either provide enough information or the smart people here pull it out of them to recommend the appropriate saw. What do you say when someone is intent on purchasing based on price only? They are looking at a Poulan/Craftsman/Remington/Troy-Built/Ryobi 40 to 46 cc saw for under $200 that they see in the store. First question, are any of these saws better than the others? Is there a pecking order for these type of saws? Second question, what shortcuts do these manufactures make to deliver a saw that is about $100 cheaper than Husqvarna/Stihl/Echo?
It used to be, there were no “cheap” saws. There were some inexpensive, entry level saws such as the Poulan micro, mini Mac, super 2. Then you had Sears who sold mostly rebranded Poulan but also Homelite echo and even Husqvarna. You can still find a lot of those at work today, testament to the quality of build, but in the wrong hands any saw can be junk fast.
Today that is no longer true. Why bother wasting hard earned money on a new box store saw? Pay a few dollars more and get an MS 170. They go on sale for under $200. My dad has had one for 13 years and while it’s not his only saw it gets used frequently and it’s a nice light weight well made saw. I’ve used it and I like it too.

Yep alot of the saws like Poulan and Homelite are in name only these days. For 200 dollars a brand new saw your not going to get much. You know I am not a big fan of battery operated saws but it could be they have a place with these people. They just charge a battery and they are off the the races and it sounds like they do not require anything with a lot of power.

No idea re: pecking order, since I've never owned one of these. If someone is uninterested in getting something at least halfway decent, or buying something decent but used, and they believe that buying one of these crap machines is the better bet, have at it. As a rule, these saws are harder to keep running right, harder to source parts for, and they under-perform relative to weight and bulk. If those are desirable attributes in the eye of the purchase then they probably don't want my input anyway. And since they probably won't spring for proper PPE, either, well, they're on their own. Something about horses and water...

Want a cheap saw that's new? Go buy an MS 170-180 series Stihl. They're fine.

If a person is only going to use a chainsaw a few times a year I can see the point in buying a cheaper saw.
Or if you want something for the EMERGENCY PREPARENESS/ DISASTER KIT; even the battery type w/ Lithium MIGHT be appropriate, staying charged 9-12-months on shelf? and many, from youtube tests= comparable to smaller gas saws, and twice as good as corded electrics?

For 200 dollars a brand new saw your not going to get much.

Black Friday Holzfforma G372xp was $164.48 - 5% coupon + $50-75 slow boat shipping depending on what else you were ordering - 5% PayPal discount with a Chase Freedom card ... or about $200. Now it's not a Husqvarna 372xp, but I think it's much saw for ~$200.

The latest version of those generic Chinese 58-62cc Zenoah clones may perform like a 50cc saw with the weight of a 60cc saw, but they are still only ~$130 with bar/chain and now have decent air filters and plastics.

The US store sold 37-42cc Chinese Zenoah clones like the Ryobi 3714 at Home Depot or Craftsman equivalent at Lowes are ~$140 and come with a 3 year warranty.

Now, are they pro saws? Hell no.

Are one of those good enough for the average homeowner's usage? Most likely.

Are parts widely available for them if you are willing to look for them? Yep.

Are they just as made in China as the low end Husqvarnas and Stihls for a fraction of the price? Yep

If a person is only going to use a chainsaw a few times a year I can see the point in buying a cheaper saw.
I don't. Just go rent a saw at Home Depot or your local rental place. Otherwise it most likely won't be stored properly and it won't run when they actually need it.

I can tell you they sacrifice comfort.. My Wife's Grandfather gave me a little 33cc poulan he found at the dump (how fitting right) $10 for a carb kit and I have it running like a champ.. it is just a 14 bar with a 3/8 lo-pro on it but it vibrates my hands worse than my MS260 or 372.. do..overall ergonomics just arent as good either...hard to explain.. I have turned this into my abuse saw..really only use it to cut stumps off at ground level where the bar is always in the dirt...
But for a small homeowner who only needs a saw once every couple of years...this would do just fine for them...priced right as well...

Black Friday Holzfforma G372xp was $164.48 - 5% coupon + $50-75 slow boat shipping depending on what else you were ordering - 5% PayPal discount with a Chase Freedom card ... or about $200. Now it's not a Husqvarna 372xp, but I think it's much saw for ~$200.

The latest version of those generic Chinese 58-62cc Zenoah clones may perform like a 50cc saw with the weight of a 60cc saw, but they are still only ~$130 with bar/chain and now have decent air filters and plastics.

The US store sold 37-42cc Chinese Zenoah clones like the Ryobi 3714 at Home Depot or Craftsman equivalent at Lowes are ~$140 and come with a 3 year warranty.

Now, are they pro saws? Hell no.

Are one of those good enough for the average homeowner's usage? Most likely.

Are parts widely available for them if you are willing to look for them? Yep.

Are they just as made in China as the low end Husqvarnas and Stihls for a fraction of the price? Yep
Screw that Chinese crap, that's half the problem with this country.

My first saw was a craftsman. Honestly I think it was a great saw as it didn’t have a ton of power so I had to learn how to use it efficiently. I also didn’t have any money back then. I suppose I could have whipped out my credit card and bought a 90 cc something and tried to learn on that. However for me for what I was cutting at the time it was a great way to learn. I upgraded a few years later to a husky rancher 55 (still my favorite) and the craftsman was still running when I gave it to my brother.

Screw that Chinese crap, that's half the problem with this country.
Nope no knock offs. If you have $200 and need a basic 14”-16” saw the 170-180 would be best for the money. As far as the chicom Stuff goes, I don’t see the desire. If your buying that junk as a kit to be assembled then why not buy a blown 372, 044, 066 and rebuild a fine piece of machinery. Less work, a little more money and something to be proud of.

Nope no knock offs. If you have $200 and need a basic 14”-16” saw the 170-180 would be best for the money. As far as the chicom Stuff goes, I don’t see the desire. If your buying that junk as a kit to be assembled then why not buy a blown 372, 044, 066 and rebuild a fine piece of machinery. Less work, a little more money and something to be proud of.
Yep, the clones I won't support, but where do you think the 170/180 is made :rare2:.
I understand that with many items there is no choice other than used and sometimes used isn't easy to source. I do everything I can to buy from the US or legit products made in places other than china.
Some have said I'm just being political, I've been that way since the mid 90's👍 .

Thanks for all the replies. There is a lot to think on with these replies but I was hoping for some hard facts either for the Husky/Stihl/Echo saws or against the box stores. As for the MS170 and MS180, I think they are 30 cc saws. Will they run with or better than the Poulan/Craftsman/Remington/Troy-Bilt/Ryobi saws at 40 to 46 cc?

My first saw was a poulan with a 18" bar that my grandaddy gave to me. It was a decent little saw for cutting a limb here and there, but it was still a poulan and it didn't take long for me to decide I wanted something better, so I bought a good used 026. I thought I had died and gone to heaven when I first ran that 026 (also with a 18" bar)

About a month ago, a coworker was looking for a saw and asked me what he ought to buy, saying he only cuts a small tree or two a year. His old Craftsman/Poulan needed new fuel lines and he was tired of working on it. I advised him to look for a used 026, and told him I could find him one and have it running for him for $150-$200. The next week he came in having bought a new poulan for $120, saying that he figured if it lasted him for a year or two he was doing ok. Now, I had just bought an 026 for $110, and by the time I put a carb kit, fuel line, and impulse line, I had around $130-$140 and a couple of hours of my time in it, and it runs great. I showed it to him and told him what I had in it, and I believe he regretted buying that poulan. I almost felt a little bad about bursting his bubble :)

Thanks for all the replies. There is a lot to think on with these replies but I was hoping for some hard facts either for the Husky/Stihl/Echo saws or against the box stores. As for the MS170 and MS180, I think they are 30 cc saws. Will they run with or better than the Poulan/Craftsman/Remington/Troy-Bilt/Ryobi saws at 40 to 46 cc?

Well, that’s the thing: those 40-46 can run better if you know what you’re doing. But if you know what you’re doing, you likely won’t want to own one. Kinda a circular reasoning sort of situation.

With the 170/180, you know what you’re gonna get and they usually work and keep working.

A lightly used Echo CS400 would be the best $200 you could spend as an occasional saw user.

If you’re willing to be handy (again, likely a different demographic than buys the saws you reference), a used Stihl 026 can still be had for $200 and that saw’s history and reputation speaks for itself.

Latest posts

Back