Bought a new Poulan Pro 5020 to see what there about

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So anyone in this poulan thread can recommend the correct size of a good quality fuel line as a replacement?

Take your old fuel lines to a good small engine shop that sells Tygon. Get them to match it up and get the same size. Make sure the hose says Tygon on it, it will be a yellow fuel line. Some of those have two different sized hoses

WOOT! Boost this excellent forum to the top! First post here. I bought one of these (PR5020 I think) from Tractor Supply in 2017. It is a pretty good saw. I have learned so much reading this thread from beginning to end. Mine is stock with the original chain. I had been hand sharpening them and I could never get the saw to perform as well as when it was fresh.

Having read everything I will now go get a proper chisel or semi-chisel chain.

I use this saw only at our lake house in North Idaho to clear the beach. We are on the open lake between the in flow from the St. Joe and Coeur d'Alene rivers. They end up dumping quite a few logs on the beach. They vary in size but most have been 12" - 15". Late last spring after our cleaning, the lake dropped a 32"+ cottonwood log about 40' long along with a 26" Ponderosa pine about 60' long we have to deal with.

In your all's humble opinions, will this saw with a fresh chisel chain cut up that cottonwood? They drop the lake so it has been out of the water all winter along with the pine. The will still be wet at the cores, but should be OK.

I had been thinking of getting the Echo CS-590 Timberwolf for this job and future. What do you all think?

WOOT! Boost this excellent forum to the top! First post here. I bought one of these (PR5020 I think) from Tractor Supply in 2017. It is a pretty good saw. I have learned so much reading this thread from beginning to end. Mine is stock with the original chain. I had been hand sharpening them and I could never get the saw to perform as well as when it was fresh.

I use this saw only at our lake house in North Idaho to clear the beach. We are on the open lake between the in flow from the St. Joe and Coeur d'Alene rivers. They end up dumping quite a few logs on the beach. They vary in size but most have been 12" - 15". Late last spring after our cleaning, the lake dropped a 32"+ cottonwood log about 40' long along with a 26" Ponderosa pine about 60' long we have to deal with.

In your all's humble opinions, will this saw with a fresh chisel chain cut up that cottonwood? They drop the lake so it has been out of the water all winter along with the pine. The will still be wet at the cores, but should be OK.

I had been thinking of getting the Echo CS-590 Timberwolf for this job and future. What do you all think?
It will cut up the cottonwood fine but a 590 will do it faster.

My good old reliable 5020 is fighting me! Starts, idles fine. Partial throttle is fine. Add much more throttle and it pooches. No matter where I set the high side adjustment I can't get the thing to rev? I have not pulled the carb yet. I did pull the plug (original). Actually looked acceptable. I had a new plug that came with a kit including air and fuel filter. The plug wasn't even the same reach! Way to long. Glad I compared. I did put the new air fiilter on. Maybe I have a cracked fuel line? Anyone else have there 5020 start acting like this out of the blue? Almost acts like a plugged tank vent? Hmmmm

Do yourself a favor and pony up for an ms462 with a 25" bar , you really should use a professional level saw a least once in your life.
Even an older very good shape 372xp or 046 would be excellent for you.

Do yourself a favor and pony up for an ms462 with a 25" bar , you really should use a professional level saw a least once in your life.
Great saws but not everyone can afford even a used one and some people can’t justify the cost of a commercial professional saw that isn’t going to be used that frequently. There’s a huge jump between an 046 and a 5020. I’m not familiar with the new Poulans, but with any saw the procedure is the same. Check the carb settings, if it has an intake boot, check for cracks, pull the muffler and see how the piston looks. If you have a compression tester get a reading. On a saw like that you’d want to see 130psi or higher

Ive got plenty of Stihl hardware. Including a 441, 026, 009's. All good saws. I enjoy squeezing what I can out of the 5020. Thanks for the advise but? Anywho. Off to make big wood into small wood for a buddy.

Possibly @Maintenance supervisor should grab a 5020 as a challenge;)

Ive got plenty of Stihl hardware. Including a 441, 026, 009's. All good saws. I enjoy squeezing what I can out of the 5020. Thanks for the advise but? Anywho. Off to make big wood into small wood for a buddy.

Possibly @Maintenance supervisor should grab a 5020 as a challenge;)
They had a wildthing build thread challenge last year and when I went to the scrapyard to get one the scrapyard owner gave me a danm 066 for free to build! Haha that got my attention.
I do have some 3400s and a 5200 I like quite a bit.

Great saws but not everyone can afford even a used one and some people can’t justify the cost of a commercial professional saw that isn’t going to be used that frequently. There’s a huge jump between an 046 and a 5020. I’m not familiar with the new Poulans, but with any saw the procedure is the same. Check the carb settings, if it has an intake boot, check for cracks, pull the muffler and see how the piston looks. If you have a compression tester get a reading. On a saw like that you’d want to see 130psi or higher
Common problem. Look close. Some cracks are hard to see. They get hard and brittle from age and heat. :)

I have a craftsman version of the pp5020 and was wondering if anyone has ever had the bar oil start leaking from the top of the chain cover when running? I like the saw it runs good I have cut some pretty impressive stuff with it ,thank in advance for replys.

I have one of these in my garage that belongs to a friend. He bought it new and used it one time before getting sick (cancer) It sat for 1.5 years, with gas in it. I pulled the carb apart. It was loaded with gunk. 2 thorough cleanings and I still couldn't get it to make power on the big end so I bought a new carb. A little cantankerous when cold. Idles good (cold and hot) and runs good in the cut when warm so I've left it alone for now.

It seems to be HEAVY on bar oil usage. If left on the ground idling for a few minutes it will be sitting in a small pool of oil when picked back up. If it were suffering from a lack of oil I'd dig into the system but on a non adjustable oiler I'm not sure what can be done to mitigate the usage.

Any thoughts?

I have one of these in my garage that belongs to a friend. He bought it new and used it one time before getting sick (cancer) It sat for 1.5 years, with gas in it. I pulled the carb apart. It was loaded with gunk. 2 thorough cleanings and I still couldn't get it to make power on the big end so I bought a new carb. A little cantankerous when cold. Idles good (cold and hot) and runs good in the cut when warm so I've left it alone for now.

It seems to be HEAVY on bar oil usage. If left on the ground idling for a few minutes it will be sitting in a small pool of oil when picked back up. If it were suffering from a lack of oil I'd dig into the system but on a non adjustable oiler I'm not sure what can be done to mitigate the usage.

Any thoughts?
Oiler on those runs anytime the engine runs.

Back