Bought a new Stihl MS 290 Farm Boss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't do anything while under warranty. If you are happy with the saw leave it alone
Bob

I'm completely happy with the stock power of this saw, and I wouldn't want to do anything to affect the warranty (which I hope I never have to resort to). Compared to the 1.7 HP of my 170, the 290 has over twice the power at 3.8. Not having any experience with anything other than my little 170, the 290 impresses the heck out of me!

Don <><

If you are happy with the saw just put 50:1 fuel in it with Stihl 2 stroke oil, keep a sharp chain and clean filters in it and run it as is till it dies. Speaking of which it will last a long time, don't let guys dog you down, the 290 is a good saw and will do anything any other saw with a 16" 18" or 20" bar will do.

For what you do and what you need, you bought the best saw VALUE that you could have.
That saw in one form or another (029, 029 Super and MS290) has been around for about 20 years.
A saw that isn't top shelf for its purpose will NOT stay around that long!
Congratulations!

Mike

If you are happy with the saw just put 50:1 fuel in it with Stihl 2 stroke oil, keep a sharp chain and clean filters in it and run it as is till it dies. Speaking of which it will last a long time, don't let guys dog you down, the 290 is a good saw and will do anything any other saw with a 16" 18" or 20" bar will do.

Thanks Birdhunter. My little 170 handled all of my needs, so I'm confident the 290 will also, allbeit, a bit faster. It really is a pretty decent saw, that suits my needs perfectly, and at a price point I can afford. With proper maintenance, I expect it to out live me. Cutting 10 cords a year just doesn't put that many hours on a saw. Um, I should figure out how many actual cutting hours it takes to cut 10 cords.

Don <><

Congratulations! The MS290 is a great saw, I muffler modded mine before the first tank of fuel went through it,and removed the carb limiters.
I wasn't worried about the warranty.Don't be disappointed that it isn't a pro grade saw,It's well built and has proven to be reliable.
I know of some pro grade saws that are sitting around with blown pistons,and the 'ol 029's/290's are still running strong.

I agree saw Doctor. I just didn't wanna get in over my head with this new saw until I get use to it. I could take the 3 extra chains back and exchange them for the yellow ones. Maybe I'll do that. Is there like a huge cutting difference when using the yellow chains as opposed to the green safety chains? Do the yellow chains get dull faster? Are they any harder to sharpen?

Don <><

I use the yellow RMC semi chisel chain on my MS290 and it stays sharp a long time. The RSC full chisel chain will cut faster at first but will get dull faster especially if the wood is dirty. With your years of experience running a chainsaw I feel that you should be using the yellow chain. Take those 3 extra chains back and exchange them for yellow dot chain you will like it. I recommend the RMC chain.

With your years of experience

I got a kick out of this russhd1977. Be careful, or you'll give me a big head. Compared to some, if not most, of the guys in this forum, I'm a babe in the woods. I'm somewhat mechanically challenged, and can break stuff with the best of them. Maybe better. But I do think I'll try one of those yellow chains pretty quick.

Don <><

Your green label chain is an anti kickback chain, which means it will still kickback it just won't do it as often or as easily as the yellow label non safety chain. The yellow stuff will kickback and will do so often if you don't watch for it. Your owners manual addresses this, you can run either chain just fine. The green label won't cut as aggressive/as fast but if you've been happy with it on your 170 for years you'll probably be happy with it on the 290.

Good luck. You bought a fine saw. We've sold 100's
It's been a solid saw since the 029.

I've had my 290 going on 7 years, good saw for the money. I muffler modded my and it gave it a more power. For the price it can't be beat. Good luck.

this post makes me chuckle... in a good way. i work at a stihl dealer and everyday at lunch me and the guys go up to drool over the saw rack. we all only heat our houses with wood so cut no more wood than you but we insist on having thousands tied up in fancy pro saws and we always say we could probably just handle that with a 290. you proved it... just like lots of other people. just dont tell my wife we could heat our house with only 349.99 worth of saws:smile2:

It's funny you mention this Ken. I was a high school drop out at 17. Joined the Marines for 8 years. Viet Nam vet. Used the GI bill to get me some smarts. Was an accountant for 20 years. Never in a million years did I think I would ever be teaching at a technical college. But I absolutely luv it.

Happy Holidays back atcha.

Don <><

Glad to chat with another Nam vet. While not a jarhead(no insult intended, I'm Army)), I respect anyone who has served their Country honorably, even a situation as FUBAR as Nam.

I thought the mix was 50/1. Running 40/1 won't hurt though I don't think its necessary. If you could adjust carb, I'd suggest running it a little rich which 40/1 will accomplish. That's what I do on my old saws after installing new rings or a piston(run my saws a little rich by openning the Hi speed needle a bit). I don't think you will harm saw unless you run it hard for the first few tanks.
Bob

Correct me if I'm wrong -- running 40:1 means there is less fuel in each gallon of mix than 50:1. So a carb tuned for 50:1 will run slightly *lean* on 40:1. Not a whole lot, but definitely leaner. Right? So if you do run more oil than the carb has been tuned at, you should richen up the carb.

Glad to chat with another Nam vet. While not a jarhead(no insult intended, I'm Army)), I respect anyone who has served their Country honorably, even a situation as FUBAR as Nam.

Hey redunshee. Always glad to chat with another vet. I had to do an internet search to find out what the acronym FUBAR meant. And your're right. That's just what it was, along with a horrendous waste of life. My condolences go out to anyone who lost a relative or friend in that conflict.

Don <><

this post makes me chuckle... in a good way. i work at a stihl dealer and everyday at lunch me and the guys go up to drool over the saw rack. we all only heat our houses with wood so cut no more wood than you but we insist on having thousands tied up in fancy pro saws and we always say we could probably just handle that with a 290. you proved it... just like lots of other people. just dont tell my wife we could heat our house with only 349.99 worth of saws:smile2:

Hey JoshF. You made my day!!!!!!
Actually, I've been cutting 10 cords a year with just a little MS 170 I bought brand new for $150. But we won't tell your wife.

Congrats on the new saw! The MS290 is certainly a step up from your 170, you will not be disappointed. Follow the basic maintenance requirements, use 89 octane or higher non ethanol gas if you can find it and the saw will last you a long time.

Thanks Birdhunter. My little 170 handled all of my needs, so I'm confident the 290 will also, allbeit, a bit faster. It really is a pretty decent saw, that suits my needs perfectly, and at a price point I can afford. With proper maintenance, I expect it to out live me. Cutting 10 cords a year just doesn't put that many hours on a saw. Um, I should figure out how many actual cutting hours it takes to cut 10 cords.

Don <><

Hi Don;
I own a MS290, MS170 and MS441. You'll be happy with your new saw. If I were logging, or making a living on firewood, I would probably mate my MS441 with another pro saw, but for cutting my own wood, the MS290 does great. Just watch out for CAD!!! That's what got me 3 Stihl saws, along with some others I haven't yet mentioned! And to you, and to all of the fine folks who dedicated themselves to serving our country, many many many thanks to you all! Seems like it's too easy to take for granted all that we have because of you!

I am glad that you bought it from a dealer rather than a box store.Stay warm and enjoy the cold winter evenings thanks to your new saw.Happy Holidays, Ken

Seems like I'm all Stihl, but I actually bought Stihl because of my dealer. It's hard to find dealers who are willing to spend the extra time with you when you're still not even sure what you want or need. If you've got a good dealer, keep him at the top of your list! And def. take advantage of his offer for a 5 hour carb tuning!

Back