Bought a Stihl 261. Did I make a mistake?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The key advantage is that they don't have to be as lean because they are stratos. The clean air pulse that is ported in between the intake and exhaust charges is what's solving most of the problem there.

You are 100% correct Spike, but Stihl is/has been setting these saws on the lean side, from the factory. It might be because under the right conditions that any excess fuel may combine with the strato air in the exhaust port and muffler areas and burn there, causing more heat on the exhaust side of the engine. Remember the air pump set ups on cars and trucks were designed for just this purpose. Stihl knows where they are setting them, and I have been told by a few dealers and techs that Stihl doesn't want them adjusted richer. Do you think the strato saws can tolerate a leaner mixture due to a cooling effect of the stratos air charge? I have personly seen serveral stratos set lean and used several hours witth no apparent damage. A conventional saw set likewise, I'm sure would have toasted.

So what happens when you increase the size of the exhaurst port on a 441 CM Tronic then,it adjusts itself but how lean do they run ? and you cant change it even if you wont to.:msp_scared:

I don't think the 441cm's run "too lean". If they did. they wouldn't have the torque that The have enough range in here controler to compensate for MM and porting AFAIK.

The choise really depends on what kind of 50cc saw you are after, but I'd leave the Dolmars out of the discussion at this point......:smile2:

what is wrong with the dolmar? Do you refer to the 5105?

what is wrong with the dolmar? Do you refer to the 5105?

Old and at least partly EPA-related story about engine failiure, that I don't really want to dig up again.

At this point, the changes that they had to make to the 5105 has made it a less interesting saw than the 5100S was when it came out. Then there are a less important issue with the air filtration.

My 5100S is fine though, but that one has been monitored closely with a tach all the time.

On the more personal level, it doesn't handle well enough to follow me into the woods, and I'm sure it would be the same with a MS261.

To me, the NE346xp "owns" the 50cc class, because of the better handling and the snappy accelleration/trigger responce. :givebeer:

The rather obvious handling differences are a big deal big deal to me, but probably not to everyone on the planet! :laugh::laugh:

What handling differences are you referring to? I've never noticed in my use. They're both a dream to use for both limbing and bucking. What's not to like?

:biggrin:

Read my post again! :D

I had read a lot of positive comments here about the Stihl 261 and liked the looks of it at the dealer so I went ahead and bought one ($515 out the door). Today I have read some comments here on AS about Stihl doing some cost savings on parts (like cylinders) that may have lowered the quality/durability of their saws. Did I make a mistake buying the 261? I could have gotten a Dolmar 5105 for $419 from a local dealer. I was just worried about lack of Dolmar dealers and wondering if the local dealer would be carrying Dolmar for the long run. What do you all think?

I've been looking at the 261 to replace my Mac 10-10.

Latest posts

Back